Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 PM

36 posts, read 48,602 times

Advertisements

now i know everything you see in movies/tv shows isn't always true but it just seems no matter what show/movie it is if it takes place in southern california they are gonna be at the beach hanging 24/7 or surfing or playing volleyball.

it just seems like in california its all fun and relaxing 24/7

so people that live in california whats it really like and I'm talking about places like manhattan beach,laguna beach,newport beach,hermosa beach,ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyqueen27 View Post
now i know everything you see in movies/tv shows isn't always true but it just seems no matter what show/movie it is if it takes place in southern california they are gonna be at the beach hanging 24/7 or surfing or playing volleyball.

it just seems like in california its all fun and relaxing 24/7

so people that live in california whats it really like and I'm talking about places like manhattan beach,laguna beach,newport beach,hermosa beach,ect
As is true with a lot of TV portrayals, life is not all fun and games living in those beach communities.

1. The weather isn't quite as warm as some people imagine. Afternoon highs are typically in the low to mid 70s half the year and in the 60s the other half, with a few chilly days in the 50s and a few hot days in the 80s & 90s. There can be winter heat waves that can bring 80 degree weather in Nov/Dec/Jan (as has happened on several occasions the last few weeks), than in May or June, when it is often cloudy or foggy and cool (in the 60s).

2. The ocean water is a lot colder than the Atlantic. The ocean water temps typically stay below 70.

3. Anywhere near the ocean is going to be very expensive. A lot of people are working their butts off to pay the rent/mortgage to live in those places, so it's not nearly as carefree as portrayed on TV. TV generally portrays Americans as wealthier than they really are and they make this more affluent lifestyle look easier than it really is to attain. This is even more true for Southern California beach locales.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
THE OC, THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY - not true except in the ultra-rich neighborhoods

Old 12-28-2013, 04:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I live a mile from the beach in a nice condo and I can tell you my mortgage is less thna the home I bought in the Midwest. my gas and electric bills are about $45 total (my friends back east are paying over $300/month for heating oil). I'm definatgely not working my arse off for a nice lifestyle.

The water is cooler here. But we can use the beach for at least 330 days per year. Summers in May and June are usually over cast until about 2 pm.

While living in Huntington Beach is great, I avoid weekends the downtown area during tourist season when the place is overun by douchbags and "notice-me-dammits" from out of town.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
To some yes to others no.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyqueen27 View Post
You think they're going to bore the **** out of everyone by showing everyday people sitting in traffic, going to work, shopping at Ralphs and sitting in the Lazy Boy watching a Dodger game?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
I will warn you- living by the beach in OC sucks in the summer because half of Southern California comes to your neighborhood and you can't get out of the house to the grocery store.

I know because I live a few blocks of PCH in NB and it sucks during summer weeks.

And, in a good area, living by the beach is crazy expensive. Look what you can get for 1 million near the beach in prime OC and then commence laughing. A trailer park home will cost far more than 1 million if it has beach views.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ccurate-5.html

Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I will warn you- living by the beach in OC sucks in the summer because half of Southern California comes to your neighborhood and you can't get out of the house to the grocery store.

I know because I live a few blocks of PCH in NB and it sucks during summer weeks.

And, in a good area, living by the beach is crazy expensive. Look what you can get for 1 million near the beach in prime OC and then commence laughing. A trailer park home will cost far more than 1 million if it has beach views.
your are so wrong.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
your are so wrong.
What am I wrong about?

Are you claiming that the PCH isn't a zoo on summer weekends, or that home prices near the beach aren't absurdly expensive?

Re. the PCH, CDM to Laguna is 10 minutes during most of the year. It can be 40 minutes during the summer weekends.

Re. home prices, go on Trulia or Zillow, and try and find me something non-slummy within walking distance to the beach in CDM for under 1.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County