Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times

Advertisements

Outbreak of 51 measles cases linked to Disneyland - CNN.com

Ok, I don't know where these people all came from - some maybe international. But I'm guessing a fair amount come from California and other US states. And I'm gonna guess that if you have the money to travel to Disneyworld and get gouged, you have the financial resources and mental capacity to vaccinate your kids.

This is what happens when idiot liberal parents take the word of some fad-spewing ex stripper over decades and millions of data points from multiple credible sources in the scientific and medical community. Measles can and does kill, disfigure, and permanently impair some portion of kids who get it. I wonder how those idiot parents involved feel now that their kid has it, AND that their kid has been a vector for others to get it. God help them if they have to live with the fact that they allowed their kid to be permanently impaired over something that would have been completely preventable.

People, vaccinate your kids. There is a reason why debilitating diseases like polio do not plague our society like they used to, and that reason has to do with enough sane parents vaccinating their kids. Choose not to and we'll be back in the jungle soon. We now have whooping cough traveling around my neck of the woods like some third-world country thanks to these Mercedes-driving, yoga mat-carrying nitwits.

It is fascinating to me how otherwise wealthy and successful people who have benefited at least indirectly from vaccination can decide to just forego it with their own flesh and blood when some celebrity says some nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 PM

807 posts, read 898,779 times
Don't forget to add homeschoolers to the mix. While the movement probably had its original and strongest roots from some religious communities, many parents turned to home schooling specifically to avoid having to vaccinate their kids.

Article from October 2008 about parents avoiding vaccinations: Parents home-school to avoid vaccinating their kids [usatoday.com]

Article from 2000, which predates the autism scare, supporting the right to refuse vaccination: Immunizations: A Parent's Choice [home-school.com]

Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
The fear of vaccinations far predates your celebrity spokesperson and liberal root fixations. And, yes, lots of very conservative religious groups were also early in.

Without endorsing any position one way or the other, I would also point out that fear of toxic medical and pharmaceutical procedures is actually pretty well founded. So while it might make you feel superior to viciously condemn liberals as being inferior beings, I don't find it a bit unintelligent to question modern medical / pharmacological dogma. Modern medicine is brilliant in many many ways and applications. It's also big business with big business interests and agenda - and rife with unintended consequences learned after disastrous effects - and with intentional obfuscations and fraud.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,992 times
Considering DisneyLAND is in Orange County- Reagan Country Safari- your assumption on proximity necessarily implicates idiot conservative parents. This is obviously the fault of third generation John Birchers who're convinced vaccinations are a UN plot. What else could we possibly expect from a class of fake breasted freaks who are convinced climate change is a hoax?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Several of the affected were from up here in the Bay Area. We have many of the anti-vaccination hysterical types here. Especially in Marin.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,533,861 times
I had measles in third grade, long before there were vaccines available. I was gravely ill for over a month, and when it was over, my vision was badly & irrevocably damaged. I vaccinated my kids...no questions asked. They are now healthy adults.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Without endorsing any position one way or the other, I would also point out that fear of toxic medical and pharmaceutical procedures is actually pretty well founded.
Skepticism of the medical community is one thing, the rejection of science is another. The vast majority of people rejecting vaccines are doing so due to a variety of pseudo-scientific beliefs.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Several of the affected were from up here in the Bay Area. We have many of the anti-vaccination hysterical types here. Especially in Marin.
You find anti-vaxxers wherever there are rich white people in California and Oregon. There are certainly rich white people living in Orange County. No surprise the most unvaccinated kids in OC are in Newport Beach, the richest OC town.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Without endorsing any position one way or the other, I would also point out that fear of toxic medical and pharmaceutical procedures is actually pretty well founded. So while it might make you feel superior to viciously condemn liberals as being inferior beings, I don't find it a bit unintelligent to question modern medical / pharmacological dogma. Modern medicine is brilliant in many many ways and applications. It's also big business with big business interests and agenda - and rife with unintended consequences learned after disastrous effects - and with intentional obfuscations and fraud.
You just endorsed a position, and unfortunately it's the wrong one. It may be a big business, but vaccination has DECADES of evidence by now across MILLIONS of people in terms of efficacy and safety. People who don't know a damn thing about science are now going to start blabbing about how credible it is that vaccines do more harm than good? Please.

Last edited by ambient; 01-24-2015 at 12:32 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You find anti-vaxxers wherever there are rich white people in California and Oregon. There are certainly rich white people living in Orange County. No surprise the most unvaccinated kids in OC are in Newport Beach, the richest OC town.
Exactly - that's the amazing thing. These are supposed to be the intelligent, educated people with ample access to information and resources to take advantage of long-proven medical advancement that eliminates some serious diseases. Instead, they choose to live with the exposures and superstitions of people of a third-world country.

Measles outbreak changes game for Bay Area hospitals - SFGate

9 cases in bay area at the moment... will probably grow. From the article:

Quote:
In California, roughly 90 percent of schoolchildren are vaccinated, but in pockets around the state, including the Bay Area, immunization rates are much lower, leaving many children vulnerable to illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County