Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times

Advertisements

Ok, so how many people have actually died from this outbreak? I think the current number is 91 now? No deaths? Did the 7 month old (very young) infant die? Did the 70 year old (very old) man die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 12:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, so how many people have actually died from this outbreak? I think the current number is 91 now? No deaths? Did the 7 month old (very young) infant die? Did the 70 year old (very old) man die?
Death from measles is relatively rare in developed countries, but many that survive measles end up with live-long health issues from the disease.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:05 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
So deaths are the only meaningful statistics?

About one fourth of those infected have been hospitalized, including the seven month old baby whose parents were deathly afraid would die. But that doesn't count because the baby did not die?

Potential complications like blindness and brain damage don't count?

How about wondering if you will develop complications years after the infection was apparently over?

Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health

Lost time from work (and lost wages) for parents of sick kids - or for sick adults - do not count?

Lost time from work (and lost wages) due to quarantine of unvaccinated people who have been exposed does not count?

All the tax money spent on tracing contacts of infected persons and trying to get them vaccinated or quarantining them does not count?

It's all "Ok" to you, right?

Feel free to continue to display your ignorance about measles.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Outbreak of 51 measles cases linked to Disneyland - CNN.com

This is what happens when idiot liberal parents take the word of some fad-spewing ex stripper over decades and millions of data points from multiple credible sources in the scientific and medical community. Measles can and does kill, disfigure, and permanently impair some portion of kids who get it. I wonder how those idiot parents involved feel now that their kid has it, AND that their kid has been a vector for others to get it. God help them if they have to live with the fact that they allowed their kid to be permanently impaired over something that would have been completely preventable.
Going back here to the original post again for a minute after seeing three articles yesterday reporting on prominent Libertarian and Republican support for parental choice in vaccinating or not. My reason for posting this is, again, to point out the error of assigning political stereotyping to this issue. "Idiot liberal parents" is a counterproductive identification. As I mentioned previously, Libertarians and certain conservative Republican types are at least equally likely to fall for anti-vax encouragements as liberal. In fact, somewhat more likely.

And spokespersons come from all corners in all shapes and sizes. Examples: Rand Paul and Chris Christie:

Election 2016: Potential candidates Rand Paul, Chris Christie weigh in on measles vaccine - CBS News

Old 02-04-2015, 01:28 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Going back here to the original post again for a minute after seeing three articles yesterday reporting on prominent Libertarian and Republican support for parental choice in vaccinating or not. My reason for posting this is, again, to point out the error of assigning political stereotyping to this issue. "Idiot liberal parents" is a counterproductive identification. As I mentioned previously, Libertarians and certain conservative Republican types are at least equally likely to fall for anti-vax encouragements as liberal. In fact, somewhat more likely.

And spokespersons come from all corners in all shapes and sizes. Examples: Rand Paul and Chris Christie:

Election 2016: Potential candidates Rand Paul, Chris Christie weigh in on measles vaccine - CBS News
But its much easier fall back on the yoga-map Prius driving construct- its a fixture. Consequently, the D & D libertarian crowd just assumes its "immune" from accountability, so their leaders feel free to speak nonsense to power.

Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders' - NBC News

Old 02-04-2015, 01:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
If the case load grows to several thousand or tens of thousand, you're statistically likely to start seeing deaths crop up - perfectly preventable ones, particularly among the young and immune-compromised.

That you haven't yet seen a death in the outbreak so far is extremely poor logic in favor of being an anti-vaxxer.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Gupta gets it right... Not to say that science is perfect and doesn't improve in understanding over time, but I really wonder when multiple heaps of scientific evidence became open to the idea of merit based on "personal belief", much like any religion. You see it with vaccines and climate change, most notably.

"No thanks, no gravity for me today... sorry, I just don't believe in it. I am convinced that it's invisible glue on the road that's keeping my feet down. It's my right, and you have to respect that."

No...we don't. You can believe what you want, but at some point when the evidence is overwhelming, it's our right and even obligation to conclude and call out that you're an idiot - especially when your idiocy threatens the health of others.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Vaccines are a matter of fact - CNN.com

Quote:
Vaccines, however, which have prevented 6 million deaths every year worldwide and have fundamentally changed modern medicine, should not be on that list.

The benefit of vaccines is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact.

Studies, including a meta analysis of 1.2 million children this past December, show no link between vaccines and autism. That is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of fact.

That you are 100 times more likely to be struck by lightning than to have a serious allergic reaction to the vaccine that protects you against measles is not a matter of opinion.

That is also a matter of fact.
Quote:
It is worth pointing out that 12 out of 10,000 people who take an aspirin are at risk of intracerebral hemorrhage, or bleeding in the brain. People who regularly take too much acetaminophen are the largest group of people hospitalized for acute liver failure. And, on average, one person in the United States dies every year from H20 intoxication, or drinking too much water. And yet, no armies have formed against aspirin, Tylenol or water.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If the case load grows to several thousand or tens of thousand, you're statistically likely to start seeing deaths crop up - perfectly preventable ones, particularly among the young and immune-compromised.

That you haven't yet seen a death in the outbreak so far is extremely poor logic in favor of being an anti-vaxxer.
This is entirely true. It is poor logic to declare no deaths in a small sample a sign of innocence. Much as it is poor logic to assign anti-vaxing mentality any connection to yoga mats, Mercedes driving, and liberalism.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Hasn't ISIL killed anyone this week? What no Ebola walking through LAX? CNN must be bored.

Yawn....we had this hype last year. Measles | Cases and Outbreaks | CDC

And the year before. U.S. measles cases in 2013 may be most in 17 years - CNN.com

I was at the store today and nobody was running out the door screaming "the Measles are coming, the Measles are coming" I think only a few yuppies are worried about catching the Measles because they know someone, that knows someone else who was around Disney at the time of the Measles Outrage!!! LMAO!

Anyone have neighbors fleeing from this outbreak? Nope, didn't think so.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This is entirely true. It is poor logic to declare no deaths in a small sample a sign of innocence. Much as it is poor logic to assign anti-vaxing mentality any connection to yoga mats, Mercedes driving, and liberalism.
Well Tulemutt, I once saw an anti vaxer spread out on a yoga mat at my class. She was like, all yogaee and anti vaxeee at the same time. I slid my mat to the back that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County