Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thats funny, especially since adults are mainly the cause of Measles outbreaks and children have the highest vaccine rate in the country except for small pockets in say TX or CA.

Maybe we should require vaccines before adults travel to other countries so they stop bringing it back here. Even if we had 100% vax rate for kids we'd still have outbreaks here every year like we always do. Babies would still get it.

We have to get rid of it all over the world to stop it here first. So it would be wiser to pick on traveling adults than anti vaxers who make up a really small percentage of the problem. Most parents are not anti vax, but lax in getting boosters and all required shots. Plus, of course the travel restrictions are lame. We bring a lot over because of this.

If we are going to hype this up for the sake of outbreaks, then lets at least know why we really have them every year and stop picking on one small group. It's easy to hate but harder to actually act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:26 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That, yes. Our food in the United States is almost all garbage. As for vaxing, parents' concerns about mercury, IQ, MS, etc., must be more effectively countered. The concerns of parents must not be summarily dismissed as "anti-science" and quackery. Right now, some parents have little faith in what is written for a variety of reasons.
Agreed, as I wrote earlier. Plenty good reasons why people are suspicious of modern medicine and Big Pharma.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Thats funny, especially since adults are mainly the cause of Measles outbreaks and children have the highest vaccine rate in the country except for small pockets in say TX or CA.

Maybe we should require vaccines before adults travel to other countries so they stop bringing it back here. Even if we had 100% vax rate for kids we'd still have outbreaks here every year like we always do. Babies would still get it.

We have to get rid of it all over the world to stop it here first. So it would be wiser to pick on traveling adults than anti vaxers who make up a really small percentage of the problem. Most parents are not anti vax, but lax in getting boosters and all required shots. Plus, of course the travel restrictions are lame. We bring a lot over because of this.

If we are going to hype this up for the sake of outbreaks, then lets at least know why we really have them every year and stop picking on one small group. It's easy to hate but harder to actually act.
Atypical Measles and adults given the vaccination between 1963-1968

Medscape: Medscape Access

Maybe this is why so many adults are getting measles? They travel overseas. Come back and this Atypical strain has a longer incubation period, with less of a rash. These adults could be going about their daily routines not knowing they have measles. "I got the Measles Vaccine".

I was a teenager when they first came to the schools vaccinating.I remember that. By that age just about all of us had measles already. The first children to be vaccinated with that first vaccine would have had to have been just starting school. That must be where they give that "born before 1957" grouping. People in this early vaccine age group would be in their 50s today. It would be very interesting if they were more specific than over 20 years old for the infected adults. This early vaccine might not be very effective at all after all these years.

Last edited by Jo48; 02-07-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:47 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Atypical Measles and adults given the vaccination between 1963-1968

Medscape: Medscape Access

Maybe this is why so many adults are getting measles? They travel overseas. Come back and this Atypical strain has a longer incubation period, with less of a rash. These adults could be going about their daily routines not knowing they have measles. "I got the Measles Vaccine".

I was a teenager when they first came to the schools vaccinating.I remember that. By that age just about all of us had measles already. The first children to be vaccinated with that first vaccine would have had to have been just starting school. That must be where they give that "born before 1957" grouping. People in this early vaccine age group would be in their 50s today. It would be very interesting if they were more specific than over 20 years old for the infected adults. This early vaccine might not be very effective at all after all these years.
There is no "atypical strain" of measles. The "atypical" refers to the fact that some people who got measles despite having been given the vaccine did not have typical symptoms.

From your own link:

"Atypical measles occurs in individuals who were vaccinated with the original killed-virus measles vaccine between 1963 and 1967 and who have incomplete immunity. After exposure to the measles virus, a mild or subclinical prodrome of fever, headache, abdominal pain, and myalgias precedes a rash that begins on the hands and feet and spreads centripetally. The eruption is accentuated in the skin folds and may be macular, vesicular, petechial, or urticarial. The live-attenuated vaccine replaced the killed vaccine in 1967 and is not associated with atypical measles."

In other words, the vaccine provided partial immunity, the first symptoms were mild, and the pattern of the rash was different from what was typically seen.

The current vaccine does not result in atypical measles.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no "atypical strain" of measles. The "atypical" refers to the fact that some people who got measles despite having been given the vaccine did not have typical symptoms.

From your own link:

"Atypical measles occurs in individuals who were vaccinated with the original killed-virus measles vaccine between 1963 and 1967 and who have incomplete immunity. After exposure to the measles virus, a mild or subclinical prodrome of fever, headache, abdominal pain, and myalgias precedes a rash that begins on the hands and feet and spreads centripetally. The eruption is accentuated in the skin folds and may be macular, vesicular, petechial, or urticarial. The live-attenuated vaccine replaced the killed vaccine in 1967 and is not associated with atypical measles."

In other words, the vaccine provided partial immunity, the first symptoms were mild, and the pattern of the rash was different from what was typically seen.

The current vaccine does not result in atypical measles.
IF they actually caught measles themselves. Others never did? The point is did these people who were vaccinated during those years ever get a BOOSTER? Did they ever get that new vax? Did that old version over many decades wear off? That is not a possibility? I have read other reports calling for adults who only got ONE, not as effective, vaccination to get boosters. Maybe these are the people that they call the UNDERvaccinated?

As I said, they did come around to HIGH SCHOOLS back then to vaccination. If these people who got that shot back in those days graduated, they may not have ever gotten a booster. They would not have had a pediatrician following up on their vaccinations.

Basically, what I am getting at is WHO these UNDERvaccinated adults might be according to what media is saying about these adults. I have pointed this out on other sites. A number of people that age said they had only gotten that ONE vaccination back then. They said they were going to talk to their doctors about getting a booster. Objection?

What they choose to do with information on that old measles vax is totally up to them as far as I am concerned. ALL information regarding vaccines, pro and con, should be available so adults can decide for themselves. Freedom of information.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Quote:
IF they actually caught measles themselves. Others never did? The point is did these people who were vaccinated during those years ever get a BOOSTER? Did they ever get that new vax? Did that old version over many decades wear off? That is not a possibility? I have read other reports calling for adults who only got ONE, not as effective, vaccination to get boosters. Maybe these are the people that they call the UNDERvaccinated?

As I said, they did come around to HIGH SCHOOLS back then to vaccination. If these people who got that shot back in those days graduated, they may not have ever gotten a booster. They would not have had a pediatrician following up on their vaccinations.

Basically, what I am getting at is WHO these UNDERvaccinated adults might be according to what media is saying about these adults. I have pointed this out on other sites. A number of people that age said they had only gotten that ONE vaccination back then. They said they were going to talk to their doctors about getting a booster. Objection?

What they choose to do with information on that old measles vax is totally up to them as far as I am concerned. ALL information regarding vaccines, pro and con, should be available so adults can decide for themselves. Freedom of information.
You are right but really, the way to stop a troll is to just stop replying and let them fade off. Maybe she'll go back to her home town thread and get out of our backyard.

This thread now has nothing to do with Orange County, nor this specific outbreak. Outbreaks happen all over, started by all kinds of people. That's just the truth, just ignore it and it will disappear into the wind like a balloon full of hot air.

Maybe with any luck the next outbreak will be in her own home town.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You are right but really, the way to stop a troll is to just stop replying and let them fade off. Maybe she'll go back to her home town thread and get out of our backyard.

This thread now has nothing to do with Orange County, nor this specific outbreak. Outbreaks happen all over, started by all kinds of people. That's just the truth, just ignore it and it will disappear into the wind like a balloon full of hot air.

Maybe with any luck the next outbreak will be in her own home town.
Outbreaks are not started by "all kinds of people."

They are almost universally started by unvaccinated people.

Jo48 lives in Florida, I think. Does she need to leave, too?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Outbreaks are not started by "all kinds of people."

They are almost universally started by unvaccinated people.

Jo48 lives in Florida, I think. Does she need to leave, too?
Only 7 years. Leaving next year. Native New Yorker who has worked for Foturne 500 Pharm. You want me to tell you about their P&L Statments? Five year plans? Do you KNOW what that is? They are not concerned about HEALTH, only their bottom line. Marketing and Public Relations achieves that. They must be counting their blessings for government allowing them to push their products, including vaccines, on TV. Don't even attempt to tell me they are concerned for the health of America. They have their goals (money) and government has their's (control). Bedfellows achieving their own goals.

It is a matter of I wash your hand and you wash mine. Do you understand that concept?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Only 7 years. Leaving next year. Native New Yorker who has worked for Foturne 500 Pharm. You want me to tell you about their P&L Statments? Five year plans? Do you KNOW what that is? They are not concerned about HEALTH, only their bottom line. Marketing and Public Relations achieves that. They must be counting their blessings for government allowing them to push their products, including vaccines, on TV. Don't even attempt to tell me they are concerned for the health of America. They have their goals (money) and government has their's (control). Bedfellows achieving their own goals.

It is a matter of I wash your hand and you wash mine. Do you understand that concept?
Companies make money off of IV fluids, local anesthetics, drugs used for anesthesia, antibiotics, and all sorts of medical equipment, from beds to bed pans.

Why is it only evil to make money off of vaccines?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Companies make money off of IV fluids, local anesthetics, drugs used for anesthesia, antibiotics, and all sorts of medical equipment, from beds to bed pans.

Why is it only evil to make money off of vaccines?
ALL of it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County