Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 PM

92 posts, read 134,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I hadn't gone down that way for ages, but made the mistake of getting on the 5 at Alicia Pkwy down toward Oceanside last Saturday around 10:30am. OMG, never again. The trip that had always taken a little less than one hour took two.

At least from where I am, I can take Antonio Pkwy to Ortega Hwy if I just want to go to San Juan Capistrano, and avoid the freeway altogether.
Plus now you can go Antonio/La Pata all the way to San Clemente from RSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmfan View Post
Plus now you can go Antonio/La Pata all the way to San Clemente from RSM.
Yes, I just heard about that. I need to go down to San Clemente tomorrow so I will give it a try.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:10 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Finper, for those in the eastern portions of South County, there is a new easy way to San Clemente. It doesn't help me though. La Pata connector fills the gap - The Orange County Register

But as I remember, you may not be in South County, in which case, yes, the I-5 traffic should send shivers down your spine.
Oh wow! They actually did it? I remember years ago there was talk of extending the toll road, but there were environmental considerations so then nothing. Huh, well I guess I haven't been paying attention! :-)

Old 10-05-2016, 12:47 PM

OK, I took Antonio/La Pata to San Clemente yesterday (leaving at 12:30pm, returning at 4pm). It's open all right, but unfortunately not nearly completed. Much of it is currently a single narrow lane on either side. On both my going and returning trips, traffic came to a complete standstill for 10+ minutes while 7 or 8 huge earthmovers slowly lumbered down the hill, crossed the road in single file, dumped the dirt, then lumbered back across the road, to be followed by a street sweeper which brushed the dirt off the road, then men with shovels to remove whatever the street sweeper left. Under these conditions, it's probably just as fast to use the freeway.

It will be nice when it's done, though.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Is OC really that congested? Whenever I look at it on Google Maps, it just looks like regular suburbia with nice sized yards, etc. Whenever I look on street view, it doesn't seem like there's THAT much traffic at all.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Is OC really that congested? Whenever I look at it on Google Maps, it just looks like regular suburbia with nice sized yards, etc. Whenever I look on street view, it doesn't seem like there's THAT much traffic at all.
The surface streets are mostly fine--just slow, because of stop signs, stop lights, and lower speed limits. It's the freeways, where one ought to be able to get from point A to point B quickly, that are the problem, and specifically during rush hours.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
The normal streets in and around a neighborhood, except any Main street, are not bad, however the main streets and the Freeways are a mess and getting worse.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
It's mainly the freeways that are really bad, and they're that bad these days. North County streets, though, (and beach streets in the summer) can also be extremely slow. (I wouldn't call most yards from the 80s and after nice sized, either.)

Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM

57 posts, read 66,493 times
The traffic here is bad but what can you do. Crying about it won't fix anything.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
The traffic here is bad but what can you do. Crying about it won't fix anything.
Which is one reason people leave. They have experienced it and are tired of it.

Newcomers have no clue.

It isn't a city thing it is a multi county thing, unlike anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County