Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 08:58 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I'm not worried about my kids getting into UCI. My wife and I went to top 10 national Ivy level universities. I got into Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB. I didn't even bother applying to UCI because it was so far down the list. If my kids end up at UCI it's because something went wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
University acceptance rates were a lot easier back in 1990s and 2000s. Today, if you applied again to the same schools for 2021, I'm predicting easily that you would be rejected to UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD, but only accepted to UCSB, UCD, UCI, and UCR only, regardless if you earned a 4.3 weighted GPA.
OK, I can sort of speak to this on an up-to-the-minute level. My daughter put in four college applications this spring and she only applied to the schools she was genuinely interested in going to (i.e. she did not apply to Berkeley just in hopes of the bragging rights of getting in). Riverside was another school she did not apply to, because of the heat and the air pollution and it's just kind of icky out there.

She was accepted at UCLA, UCSD, and UCI. She was wait-listed at Davis, go figure. Most likely she will sign with UCI because it is logistically the easiest for us. Perhaps UCI was "so far down the list" when amokk was in school, but it's virtually tied with UCSD now and none of us will think "something went wrong" if she goes there; that's a pretty snobbish attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 11:21 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Rofl. I said I attended a top 10 private university. I.e. Northwestern, Chicago, Duke, WashU, Hopkins, etc. Those are much harder to get into than even UC Berkeley. You literally know nothing about me, and yet you think you're "predicting easily" where I would or would not get accepted is completely asinine. 4.3 weighted? I had a 3.8 unweighted and took the following APs with 4/5s in almost all of them: Calc AB, Calc BC, French Language, French Lit, Spanish Language, English Lit, English Language, Euro History, US History, Bio, Physics Classical Mechanics and E&M, Chem. I don't even remember what that comes out to as a weighted GPA because my school didn't do that grade inflation nonsense. You want to talk about hard schools to get into? Try Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, MIT, or Uchicago.

It's pretty obvious you didn't go to a top research university as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. UCLA is literally ranked #15 in the WORLD according to Times higher ed. Riverside is between 250-300. LMAO. I'm assuming given how clueless you are about this stuff that you went to UCR. Clearly you weren't on track to go to a selective university or you would have a clue.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...asc/cols/stats

UC Riverside Highlander alumnus from way back...waltchan is right about UC Riverside and UC Merced...both moving up FAST.

UC Riverside had the biggest US News jump in the nation a few years back and is one of the fastest growing UC's for a reason still having a personal touch that most others lack. Oh yes, it has the first new Medical School in California in 50 years to boot...will continue onward and upward in a big way. Received a solid education/college experience at UC Riverside...go Highlanders!!

https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2018/0...-news-rankings

The newest UC...UC Merced also had the biggest US News jump in the nation recently and will continue onward and upward in a big way.

https://news.ucmerced.edu/news/2019/...-news-rankings

Old 05-09-2021, 11:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,947,274 times
Quote:
Excuse me? What does this even mean? Who are you to say what is wise and ethical for someone else's personal character? How does someone choosing where to live determine that? The reason people live in Riverside is because they can't afford to live somewhere more expensive. End of story. There is literally nothing better that one gains from living in Riverside County than OC other than cheaper housing.
Enjoy your rich, snobbish attitude. I can tell too easily. I certainly don't want to hang out with these type of people, since they're not real human beings, anyway.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Perhaps UCI was "so far down the list" when amokk was in school, but it's virtually tied with UCSD now and none of us will think "something went wrong" if she goes there; that's a pretty snobbish attitude.
Correct. UCI used to be a middle-tier school for many years during the 1970s, 1980s, up until mid-1990s, when Irvine homes used to be middle-class. Acceptance rate used to be in the 80% range until early-1990s. Same thing as for Santa Barbara (85% acceptance in 1993) and Riverside (85% acceptance in 2003).

Old 05-09-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares about UCR. It's a third tier UC and it's always going to be one. It's never going to be able to attract world class faculty due to the garbage location.
What about this property for-sale:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...17830866_zpid/

I don't see anything "garbage" here and the nice views of downtown Riverside. It looks like Palo Alto a little-bit, or imitates as one.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
dude. look at the crime at USC. How's that doing for USC's rankings over the past 20 years? You're completely irrational and you just make stuff up to fit whatever weird obsession you seem to have with UC Riverside. Nobody cares about UCR. It's a third tier UC and it's always going to be one. It's never going to be able to attract world class faculty due to the garbage location.

Also, half those things you just mention would apply to Riverside. And Westwood is literally one of the most expensive and nicest areas in all of LA county and you're trying to extrapolate what's going on in an entire county to an uber wealthy enclave. You're delusional.

I and many people care very much about UC Riverside (take a campus tour) as an alumnus from one of the fastest growing/rising UC's for a reason still having a personal touch that most others lack. It surpassed UC Santa Cruz (with its beautiful coastal location, but minimal growth, housing problems, teacher strikes, etc.) on US News and may not be "third tier" much longer (#34 public rank, #88 national rank) ...now gunning for UC Davis! Of couse we are a R1 research university with 2 Nobel Laureates one being UCR alumnus and current chemistry professor Dr. Richard Schrock himself! Has a ways to go...however, it would be considered the best flagship university in over half the states in America at its current level (current student averages...3.9 GPA, 26 ACT, 1265 SAT) although it will keep getting tougher on admissions due to some of the fastest growth in the nation, the first new California Medical School in 50 years (Thomas Haider program is brutal), #1 in the nation in Social Mobility on US News (last 2 years), among other factors. Us Highlanders know that UCR is a diamond in the rough with amazing opportunities (research opportunities in the lab freshman year, easy access to professors (not TA's), a much more collaborative education, easier, lower cost housing, etc.) and are willing to overlook the hot summer climate (you gonna be there in summer?) and appreciate the sacrifices we make that not everyone is willing to do that sets us apart from many others in that "perfect" overrated flowery location...where some of the snobbier private school set unsuccessfully try to put others down exposing their own insecurities. Proud UC Riverside alumnus for life...the campus will continue onward and upward in a big way...go Highlanders!!

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...s-world-report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...nia,_Riverside

https://profiles.ucr.edu/app/home/profile/rschrock

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-09-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 01:39 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
and are willing to overlook the hot summer climate (you gonna be there in summer?)
Everything else you said is probably true, but we all live in SoCal and know that summer's not over at the end of August. It's over around the end of October, if we're lucky.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:56 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
After reviewing page 37, I see we have a blatantly failed education system. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it is this bad...

Old 05-09-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Everything else you said is probably true, but we all live in SoCal and know that summer's not over at the end of August. It's over around the end of October, if we're lucky.
True...especially in the IE and inland locations compared to coastal (where I am now)

Old 05-09-2021, 06:11 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
How did this topic attract so many crazy alums of the UC Citrus Experiment Station? Of the 49,433 applicants to the UC Citrus Experiment Station in 2020, only 16,725 were not accepted. That is a 66% acceptance rate. Hardly selective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County