Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,000,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
And they are. My house value went up about 80k from 1.5 years ago. I remember when I.E. housing was starting to go in the 700k ranges. Some houses are now in the 800-1 mil range.

Floating tide lifts all boats.

If you IE house went up ~$80K, just think how much your OC house went up

Quote:
I don't understand why people are so down on the IE. It's really the only place where it's still reasonable.

Traffics!

No "cool places" to hang out like OC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,456,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
As OC becomes more and more expensive, it also gets older and older. Such are the consequences of very high real estate prices.
The age situation will change as Baby Boomers die or move. However that is also normal as we see in NYC for a long time. It is reality like it or not. Would I like to see more people be able to buy in a "nice" place, sure, but it isn't likely to happen in OC due to the build out of the area. The population will keep- growing and prices will keep going up. They ain't making anymore land here.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The millennials who have the desire to want to live in OC will have to earn it by obtaining a top-notch education in order to perhaps have the ability to by a home in OC someday; that's the bottom line and there's nothing complicated about that.
That is true, it is reality and nothing will change it.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

No "cool places" to hang out like OC
True, but that will not change so people either need to make, or have, a lot of money or OC will just be a place to visit.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,652,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Floating tide lifts all boats.

If you IE house went up ~$80K, just think how much your OC house went up

Actually my IE house went up more than my OC houses. But that’s most likely due to the IE house just having more room to gain value as the OC houses are ga8ning slower.
Either way I never sold even though my old realtor was pushing me to sell s9 I can transfer my tax basis. I told him it would be financially shooting mysekf in the foot as the house I lived in and turned to a rental will by far pay the additional taxes and give me more tax benefits than selling it

Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,176,959 times
Quote:
Actually my IE house went up more than my OC houses. But that’s most likely due to the IE house just having more room to gain value as the OC houses are ga8ning slower.
Either way I never sold even though my old realtor was pushing me to sell s9 I can transfer my tax basis. I told him it would be financially shooting mysekf in the foot as the house I lived in and turned to a rental will by far pay the additional taxes and give me more tax benefits than selling it
Purchasing in the IE was a good move in that the area fell much more than OC and had trouble rebounding. OCs increases are indeed much smaller because people are so stretched to buy here. However, if there is a housing downturn, don't expect much drop in most of OC. The I.E. is more vulnerable in my opinion.

Millennials are crazy to stay in OC unless they can hustle enough to make it or both are very high income earners. Most would do better to go to the I.E. They'll have to suffer long commutes, a historic reality of Southern California.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,000,126 times
Quote:
More tax benefits because of depreciation?

What’s your opinion on the Zillow “Zestimate”? I look at my rental property in OC and I am pleasantly shock at the rate property value going up.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:00 AM

26,812 posts, read 26,948,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The millennials who have the desire to want to live in OC will have to earn it by obtaining a top-notch education in order to perhaps have the ability to by a home in OC someday; that's the bottom line and there's nothing complicated about that.
Ask the millennials who have advanced degrees and are baristas at Starbucks, driving for Uber, or bartending. There are more overeducated people in this age group than you might imagine.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ask the millennials who have advanced degrees and are baristas at Starbucks, driving for Uber, or bartending. There are more overeducated people in this age group than you might imagine.
Having a degree does not guarantee a job. That is a fallacy that has been promoted to fill colleges and universities, oh and to promote loans to students.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,176,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Having a degree does not guarantee a job. That is a fallacy that has been promoted to fill colleges and universities, oh and to promote loans to students.
It's the biggest fallacy and fraud ever to have been widely accepted as a truism. And we export this nonsense and run tv commercials with smiling third worlders studying and preparing for an amazing life. The truth is sobering. For example, Africa is filled with people with bachelors degrees and few opportunities other than a few NGO aid agencies or government work.

In OC, there are some good jobs but nothing like what the SV has. In any case, needless to say we have huge underemployment in OC. Young people need to go elsewhere for opportunities. If they can return to OC, it will be an accomplishment. They will learn that most of us had to sacrifice lots of pay to come to OC. It is a popular place.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-14-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County