Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 AM

86 posts, read 244,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wonder how many of the people qualifying for homes now are just downsizing. I don't know how an average young couple could qualify now. I think that will be the next huge problem for the market there.
very true, my fiancee and I make over $140k combined and can't afford jack squat in the housing market, assuming we could even qualify (two 700+ FICOs, etc). so we don't even worry about it and continue renting and paying down debts (student loans, etc) for now. it's still really overpriced and as you mention will continue to be a problem if people like us still can't buy a decent home in the next 3-5 years, then in relative terms we never will. then we'll simply figure something else out - likely go somewhere else.

besides putting all our spare cash towards a wedding (ugh, another topic) isn't helping in the meantime. but since prices are still way too high that's moot

Last edited by brianguy; 11-21-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianguy View Post
very true, my fiancee and I make over $140k combined .....

besides putting all our spare cash towards a wedding .
And then when you have kids you have to ask if you will maintain those two incomes, or make it with one income. Your mortgage won't go down but your income would.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM

somewhat, though our incomes are not flat either because we are still young. example, mine went up about 53%, not inflation adjusted, in the last 3-1/2 years (though has been flattening out) and hers probably even higher. that aside, cost of living increases are pretty reasonable to expect. it's very true a single income would be much harder to try to own a home AND raise a family in OC

Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianguy View Post
somewhat, though our incomes are not flat either because we are still young. example, mine went up about 53%, not inflation adjusted, in the last 3-1/2 years (though has been flattening out) and hers probably even higher. that aside, cost of living increases are pretty reasonable to expect. it's very true a single income would be much harder to try to own a home AND raise a family in OC

Everyone I know that lives out there and have kids, both husband and wife have to work. I do have one friend that doesnt work but they live in a apartment in Corona.

Thats why I life Irvine, cause I had my son and wanted to buy a house and stay home with him. So here I am in CO with a house and I dont work.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 PM

48 posts, read 103,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
You get your nanny-state leftist friends in congress to implement requirements that banks make risky loans to lower income folks-that wouldn't otherwise qualify. "Job-schmobbs, the folks don't need jobs..."

Then get ACORN to follow-up by staging protests at lending institutions who object to the requirements. Oh, and provide federal funds to ACORN so they can keep the pressure on. Then, when everything goes to hell in a hand basket-blame the "broken down capitalist policies" of the GOP and ride that mantra to political vistory.

Oh, wait, that's pretty much what brought us to this point.

I know this wasn't the nature of your question, but couldn't resist the opportunity to opine...
Nice way to blame the so-called leftists (of which there are none or few even in government) for the mess Bush and company made. LOL!

The housing crisis in California and elsewhere, meaning the prices are too high for those making even more than median income to afford is all greed based and supply and demand based. Simple as that. The lending crisis is a whole other matter that has its roots based in greed (IMO)

Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM

76 posts, read 409,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2dive View Post
If you make 120k per year even with 1200 per month in student loan payments, you qualify for a lot more than 180k. Realistically you qualify for something around 280 to 320k. Unless you have a lot more debt than you are disclosing.

Really .... that's it! I was using the online calulcators and that's what I was coming up with. Interesting...though I will still rent to figure out where I want to be, that gives me hope! No car loans after Feb., and no debt after March other than student loans -- NONE.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockj View Post
Nice way to blame the so-called leftists (of which there are none or few even in government) for the mess Bush and company made. LOL!
I'm not exactly sure what that means... but suddenly I'm reminded of the video of Obama voters being interviewed on election day:

Q: "Who controls the congress?"

A: "Uhhhhhhhhhh, the Republicans"

Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 PM

25 posts, read 51,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finzup2 View Post
Seriously, how do people qualify on 500,000 loans with 80,000 incomes?
FRAUD! You must be new to this planet........

Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 AM

109 posts, read 388,252 times
Just wait until your typical, luxury 5 bed home in 92603 gets under $1m :P

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Blue Window View Post
Just wait until your typical, luxury 5 bed home in 92603 gets under $1m :P
You could be waiting a long time. Median asking price for a 5 bedroom home in 92603 is $5.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County