Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Troll View Post
My parents don't love me enough Oh, well, gotta work for my money
Me too. I've owned a couple places and haven't had any assistance with the down payment. That being said, once you make money on the first place you buy its easier to come up with the money for a down payment on the next place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredatwork View Post
The home is the biggest purchased item for most people. Beside the home, pretty much everything else is not about affordability but priority. Hourly workers can easily buy a Chanel bag for $6k as I have seen in Bloomingdales of South Coast Plaza. Don't be mistaken by all the beautiful women who shop at Bloomingdales in South Coast Plaza as "wealthy" because most are just ordinary people who just have a different priority. My friend is making monthly payment of $800 for his Porsche Cayman and he is making just 47k/year. However, he lives in an apartment with his parents and brother. My dentist is making big money but she only drives a Mercedes and spends on expensive clothing. My aunt is taking home at least six figures a year, but her family chooses to spend most of it on dining and clothing. I'm glad I don't get succumbed to expensive cars, shoes, or watches. Most of my spending is on food and the most expensive restaurant that I have been to is Season 52 and I spent no more than $30 per person
Not sure how you spent under $30 pp at Seasons 52. The entrees run $17 to just over $30. Unless everyone ordered only the least expensive entree and drank water with no appetizers or desserts.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I'm thinking its a cultural thing?
Well clearly lol.

I think it's just the mentality that they (Jews also share this perspective) want their children to be better off each generation.

Compared to some other cultures which have the opinion "I didn't need no darned book learnin and I did just fine plummering all ma life. I reckon little Jethro think he's getting a bit too big fer his britches wanting to graduate from them thar high skewl! "

Old 06-05-2015, 04:07 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,579,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperiongap View Post
compared to some other cultures which have the opinion "i didn't need no darned book learnin and i did just fine plummering all ma life. I reckon little jethro think he's getting a bit too big fer his britches wanting to graduate from them thar high skewl! "
rotfl.........:d

Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Troll View Post
Why is it that asians help out their kids? And we're talking grown adult kids too. What gives?
because in Asia there is no such thing as social security or pension. their social security are their children. so the better their children become, the better their retirements too

Old 06-05-2015, 06:08 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
because in Asia there is no such thing as social security or pension. their social security are their children. so the better their children become, the better their retirements too
Yeah, how dare those Asians help out their kids instead of forcing them to go on welfare and food stamps. How dare they!

How dare they study hard and become productive members of society. How dare they! I'm pissed.

How dare they save up and buy these houses with all cash making it harder for people like me to buy a house because I wasted all my money on rent because I wanted to look cool and throw parties right out of college.

God damn Asians.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
Me too. I've owned a couple places and haven't had any assistance with the down payment. That being said, once you make money on the first place you buy its easier to come up with the money for a down payment on the next place..
Same here. Part of the problem is everyone wants the McMansion for their starter home. We started with a townhouse and then bought up 12 years later.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Same here. Part of the problem is everyone wants the McMansion for their starter home. We started with a townhouse and then bought up 12 years later.
4th home now and no mortgage. Takes time and being cautious with your funds.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
So what does everyone do here?

I'm a self-employed graphic designer. I have no healthcare because I don't qualify for Obummer Care. And I can't get regular healthcare because of a "pre-existing" condition called High Blood Pressure.

The only way I can qualify for Obummer Care is to take more deductions. But if I do, I won't qualify for a Mortgage. So I am in a weird situation here.

Only thing I can do is save up and buy it cash or wait for the crash.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 7,433 times
When I was young it was considered good to aspire to something and become successful. Now what you did with that success is where judgement came into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County