Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times

Advertisements

wtf. How has that guy not been caught yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,187 times
Hey most of the money is flowing in from forgein country's. The other Eason that there are so many wealthy folks here is that they have made money elsewhere and moved here. There a lot of tech business owners in this area due to it being a younger population. This is coming from the perspective of a son of a buisness owner that drives 3 cars and has a haelicopter. Don't forget most of the people here have worked to earn there money and their is nothing wrong with that. I've worked very hard to pay off my 3 houses and not have debt.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:04 AM

9 posts, read 10,429 times
We moved here in 1985 when I got out of the Army. Rented a 900 sq ft house in Huntington Beach for $700 mo. I sold bottled H20, my wife was a part time bagger at Von's. Three years later I was hired as a delivery driver for a package delivery company and my wife was promoted to part time cashier at the grocery store. We saved enough to purchase a 1300 sq ft condo in 1991. I was promoted to supervisor then in 2001 we sold the condo and purchased a 2500 sq ft home in Lake Forest. I'm now a manager for the same company and my wife is a bookeeper for the grocery store. We both work real hard and are smart with our money. We saved and have close to $500.000 equity in our Lake Forest home. We both drive BMW's and have earned them and pay for them with our blood sweat and tears. That's how we can afford to live here. It's possible but you: Need to not be afraid of working long hard hours. Pay yourselves first. (Oh by the way we raised two kids in the process, both are very successful).

Last edited by fragrep; 12-13-2016 at 01:24 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 02:12 AM

10 posts, read 7,187 times
The parts you're talking about are just more visible than others, and they happen to be in OC. Remember, we used to build sideways. Now we're building up and down. There are tremendous amounts of wealth, probably more, elsewhere around the country and world. You just can't see it!

Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
When a place is overrun with illegal aliens you know that the sanctuary employers are making a killing.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
When a place is overrun with illegal aliens you know that the sanctuary employers are making a killing.
I bet Trump goes after the crooked employers and that will change a lot when they can't hire therm.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I bet Trump goes after the crooked employers and that will change a lot when they can't hire therm.
Can you show me something about Trump going after sanctuary employers? I would feel better about Trump if he did.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 AM

55 posts, read 95,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'm from the midwest (St. Louis) and lived 7 years in Colorado. I've seen my fair share of wealth and rich people. But having lived two years here in the "OC" and hanging out in Newport, Laguna, Coto, etc. and driving around Nellie Gail and so many other wealthy subdivisions it's sickening how wealthy people are here compared to the rest of the country. I mean what the hell does everyone do around here to justify this wealth and standard of living? Is everyone a doctor, lawyer, business owner, super professional? Some of you wonder why OC and CA in general has such a bad rap well think about it.............the average Californian or more specifically the average Orange Countian is so far out of touch with mainstream America it's laughable. I mean some of the people out here live like gluttons. The gap between the haves and the have nots is most apparent in a county like Orange that's for sure. I've never seen so many BMW's, Mercedes, Maseratis, Ferraris, Bentleys etc. The funny thing is this state is bankrupt. LMAO! It's quite ironic. There are many things I love about Southern California and south Orange County is a very nice place to live. But there are WAY too many out of touch wealthy snobs out here.

There's nothing like watching an OCian out washing their beautiful car or better yet having it detailed by some Mexican teenager all the while wondering to myself when the hell it's going to rain again. After all OC uses more water than any other county in Southern California! Yall are some funny people out here!

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

I'm from the midwest (St. Louis) andlived 7 years in Colorado. I've seen my fair share of wealth and rich people.But having lived two years here in the "OC" and hanging out inNewport, Laguna, Coto, etc. and driving around Nellie Gail and so many other wealthysubdivisions it's sickening how wealthy people are here compared to the rest ofthe country. I mean what the hell does everyone do around here to justify thiswealth and standard of living? Is everyone a doctor, lawyer, business owner,super professional? Some of you wonder why OC and CA in general has such a badrap well think about it.............the average Californian or morespecifically the average Orange Countian is so far out of touch with mainstreamAmerica it's laughable. I mean some of the people out here live like gluttons.The gap between the haves and the have nots is most apparent in a county likeOrange that's for sure. I've never seen so many BMW's, Mercedes, Maseratis,Ferraris, Bentleys etc. The funny thing is this state is bankrupt. LMAO! It'squite ironic. There are many things I love about Southern California and southOrange County is a very nice place to live. But there are WAY too many out oftouch wealthy snobs out here.

There's nothing like watching an OCian out washing their beautiful car orbetter yet having it detailed by some Mexican teenager all the while wonderingto myself when the hell it's going to rain again. After all OC uses more waterthan any other county in Southern California! Yall are some funny people out here!

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]What do you do and what’s your income?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I do agree that the very very nice areas of OC have (orappear to have) a disproportionate share of wealth compared to other areas ofthe county, or, if we can expand, to greater OC/LA/IE region.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I think some of that wealth of course comes from high levelprofessions and strong success in those professions examples “off the top of myhead”: (Medical Doctors/Surgeons, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Verysuccessful Attorneys, Engineers – maybe who have patented and marketedsomething valuable – either high cost, or something little but very useful thatsells in the millions or hundreds of millions of units at high profit margin),etc.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]ALSO, some inherited wealth, alongwith those who are yes in debt up to their eyeballs. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I’m a So Cal Native who grew up in Lakewood/Long Beach areaand moved to Orange County – just renting rooms and having roommates in OrangeCounty, and am now a long time “Refugee” in Boise, Id. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]I would absolutely LOVE to be able to live ina nice area in Orange County, but not in debt or being a “boarder” rentingrooms, or with roommates.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]So I stay uphere –where I “escaped” to in 2001 after earning my BS in Business Marketingfrom CSULB and being fearful, not wanting to give myself a chance to make itdown there – even after one of the managers where I was doing an internship atback then offered to talk me up, and give me a referral or even directly get meinto a marketing position with a [/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]companyin Irvine Spectrum that made circuit boards for smart homes – in fact he DIDget me in [/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3](he [/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]was a very good salesman), but no, I wanted to“escape” and go live in a “cool mountain town” (I’m a very avid mountain biker,learned in Orange County, and that did play into my decision – maybe I put toomuch emphasis and priority on recreation and not enough on Career Development,so here I am).[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Anyway, I’m sure there is also “old money” in OrangeCounty. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]In the past, I did hear my Momrefer to OC as “plastic” LOL.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]My Aunt and Uncle live in a canyon of Sunset Blvd in LosAngeles. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]In 2008 they gave $100 Milliondollars as an endowment to UCLA – their Alma Mater.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]They are billionaires, and while I’m sure itwas a good tax write off for him and the best business decision to make, vs.paying taxes?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]They also did that, along with other acts of philanthropy –out of the goodness of their hearts, and I am proud of them. Their near povertylevel nephew refugee “stranded” up here living in a studio and with a negativenet worth is STILL very proud of them![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]At the beginning of this year I visited them – and as far aspeople “posing” with nice cars – well, they drove their old “his and herJaguars” for many, many years. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Accordingto my Uncle – the only reason they got rid of them and traded them in for 2Teslas’s, was because the maintenance costs on the old Jags was becoming toohigh.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Of course, if you saw their home,which is visible from the Ghetty Museum in the Santa Monica mountains, you’dsee it is far from modest![/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]BUT, they don’thave the “poser attitude” at all – as they aren’t posers![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Just wanted to share that story so we could all get a laughat the irony of the fact where I am at vs. where they are at. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]BUT they owe me nothing.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]He DID try and help me by managing a smallamount of money I inherited in 1998 or so I think it was. Only about$125,000.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]And I did NOT expect it alall.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]There is a lot more to this story than that – such as mychildhood in foster homes, and my Grandparents sending ME to foster homes butnot my brother, (RIP), and then my Grandmother helping me out financially,monthly, for a long time……………..I readily admit her helping me, and then laterthat small inheritance “hobbled” me – I didn’t look at it properly as just anice head start – I looked at is as, the world owed me something because ofwhat I had to go through as a child – and so I used it to rent rooms and thengot a garage apartment in Huntington Beach for about $500 per month that wasfinally MY OWN place (felt good) – and kind of used that as home base to driveand go Mountain Biking at El Morro (across PCH from Crystal Cove), Laguna (topof the world), and all these spots around OC and LA and made friends in the MtnBike community…………… [/SIZE][SIZE=3]off topic, but forthose of you who have never seen the absolute incredible beauty of the OC backcountry, you owe it to yourself to go hike into the back country of El Morro Canyonor Laguna Coast Wilderness Park in spring – I’ve been a fair few places andgotten “way out there” in a mountain bike, and have to say, the back country ofOrange County the most beautiful in the world – I guess that ties into the ideaof overdevelopment.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]A friend of mine ispart of trying to save the area off Santiago Canyon.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]They won in court and then lost again onappeal – so I guess areas around Cooks Corner will be developed next.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]SAD.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Can you show me something about Trump going after sanctuary employers? I would feel better about Trump if he did.
Well mybe wishful thinking but he does speak about keeping American jobs and Americans working and that is one way to do it.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:54 AM

The corporate elite are above the law. Ever see the nicely manicured landscapes that surround the high rises in Irvine? I think I know who is getting paid to make them look nice... And who is paying them.

The illegal alien problem will never be resolved until the sanctuary employers are dealt with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County