Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM

787 posts, read 643,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'm from the midwest (St. Louis) and lived 7 years in Colorado. I've seen my fair share of wealth and rich people. But having lived two years here in the "OC" and hanging out in Newport, Laguna, Coto, etc. and driving around Nellie Gail and so many other wealthy subdivisions it's sickening how wealthy people are here compared to the rest of the country. I mean what the hell does everyone do around here to justify this wealth and standard of living? Is everyone a doctor, lawyer, business owner, super professional? Some of you wonder why OC and CA in general has such a bad rap well think about it.............the average Californian or more specifically the average Orange Countian is so far out of touch with mainstream America it's laughable. I mean some of the people out here live like gluttons. The gap between the haves and the have nots is most apparent in a county like Orange that's for sure. I've never seen so many BMW's, Mercedes, Maseratis, Ferraris, Bentleys etc. The funny thing is this state is bankrupt. LMAO! It's quite ironic. There are many things I love about Southern California and south Orange County is a very nice place to live. But there are WAY too many out of touch wealthy snobs out here.

There's nothing like watching an OCian out washing their beautiful car or better yet having it detailed by some Mexican teenager all the while wondering to myself when the hell it's going to rain again. After all OC uses more water than any other county in Southern California! Yall are some funny people out here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I often have the same question. We make a good living, by most people's standards, and still struggle to live here. I can't imagine how much you have to make to have the huge house full of expensive furniture, the nice cars and fancy vacations. I often wonder what we are doing wrong, other than trying to raise four children in Southern California. I do know that when we visit family in CT, one of the richest states in the nation, people don't flaunt their wealth like they do here. Hence the reason we will be moving there soon. Many of my friends remind me that in Orange County people do what ever they can to "look" like they have money, even still, how do they maintain that? I don't think it's Old Money out here so I would love to know how these people in Newport, Laguna, etc. are doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM

787 posts, read 643,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika929 View Post
I met some guy in California and he just kept saying he should move away. I was in California and it really wasn't all that great anyway.
LOL, in the bay area? Might've been me.

I don't hesitate to talk about how borderline miserable I am here, and I make "decent" money and am a native san franciscan, in hopes I can sway enough people to have like minded priorities, maybe if enough of us left this state would wake up and start to address the real problems, wishful thinking of course.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Question: "What he HELL does everyone do in OC to make money? (income, eat)"

Answer: Buy low and sell high.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
However, the Federal Govt is siphoning billions of CA federal tax dollars and giving it to bailout the poor red states.
Is this a great country or what???

Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I often have the same question. We make a good living, by most people's standards, and still struggle to live here. I can't imagine how much you have to make to have the huge house full of expensive furniture, the nice cars and fancy vacations. I often wonder what we are doing wrong, other than trying to raise four children in Southern California. I do know that when we visit family in CT, one of the richest states in the nation, people don't flaunt their wealth like they do here. Hence the reason we will be moving there soon. Many of my friends remind me that in Orange County people do what ever they can to "look" like they have money, even still, how do they maintain that? I don't think it's Old Money out here so I would love to know how these people in Newport, Laguna, etc. are doing it.
Not everyone who has money in OC flaunts it. And i don't care where you live there will be a certain type who will want to show everyone how well off they are. Even if they aren't, some think driving a flashy car, wearing flashy clothes watches jewelery etc somehow will inpress everyone or that owning and having those things makes them better than you. Most of those people you seem to think or describe as typical OC'ers got financially murdered in the last crash. But no matter what there will always be that person somewhere.

You could walk past me on the street and you would have no idea of my net worth or income. Which is just the way I like it. I don't need to have a fancy whatever to impress anyone. Impressing a stranger is not what matters to me. Hell I don't even tell my friends or family our financials. It's nobody's business.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
I used to work in Newport Beach and boy I could tell you stories that place is crazy. The people who were flaunting their wealth were the ones that were drowning in dept. You'd never know the ones with real wealth besides the nice house including my step mother. She's a millionaire and drives a 10 year old car never wears jewelry and lives in a HB tract house.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 PM

64 posts, read 50,796 times
Lol.. I actually know people like merage and samueili. Nicest guys and they aren't pricks at all.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I used to work in Newport Beach and boy I could tell you stories that place is crazy. The people who were flaunting their wealth were the ones that were drowning in dept. You'd never know the ones with real wealth besides the nice house including my step mother. She's a millionaire and drives a 10 year old car never wears jewelry and lives in a HB tract house.
Lol. Newport is full of pretenders I can't argue with that. If they were drowning in debt they had no wealth. They were simply flaunting the appearance of wealth. To whom? Other stuck up people like them? Competing on seeing who has a better appearance of wealth? Complete strangers? Makes sense right? Let me show this complete stranger walking down the street how wealthy I appear because he's going to care or be impressed by it.

Truthfully in this day of using your house equity as a ATM, easy credit, leasing expensive vehicles cheaply and 2/3 for the price of one suit, fake designer clothing/items, thinking that someone is rich because of what they drive or wear is really not a good way to get a measure of their wealth.
I know people who are drowning in debt yet they keep doing it because they can't/won't/don't accept the fact they aren't as well off as they think and to them having "things" they can show off is wealth. That's their problem. The economy smacked those people down last time, and t will happen again.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not everyone who has money in OC flaunts it. And i don't care where you live there will be a certain type who will want to show everyone how well off they are. Even if they aren't, some think driving a flashy car, wearing flashy clothes watches jewelery etc somehow will inpress everyone or that owning and having those things makes them better than you.
my officemate drives a new Porsche and wears nice clothes but is just renting a room. I used to kid him, now you have a serious problem, you have to buy a house so that your car can have garage and not parked in the streets.

so until you really know those you see driving nice cars or living in nice houses, its hard to make a judgment if they are really rich or not

Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM

126 posts, read 208,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol. Newport is full of pretenders I can't argue with that. If they were drowning in debt they had no wealth. They were simply flaunting the appearance of wealth. To whom? Other stuck up people like them? Competing on seeing who has a better appearance of wealth? Complete strangers? Makes sense right? Let me show this complete stranger walking down the street how wealthy I appear because he's going to care or be impressed by it.
Every city has posers. Difference is, Newport posers have money. Lots of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County