Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM

778 posts, read 504,462 times

Advertisements

Taking into account the whole planet, SoCal is among the top five places people want to live; CLIMATE, jobs, climate, beaches, climate, mountains, climate, desert, climate, and, oh yeah, climate. If you can't afford to live here, move to where you can afford to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Totally reminds me of this book:

Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books

The number one vehicle owned by millionaires in the United States is a Ford F-150.
True, I own an F-150, and own a plumbing company. Most people I know own companies in the trades and make a mil or more a year. You'd never know by looking at them. Besides, most business owners are pretty frugal.
Now, the professions who feel like they need to look the part are real estate agents, youth looking for a hookup and of course salesmen/woman.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
True, I own an F-150, and own a plumbing company. Most people I know own companies in the trades and make a mil or more a year. You'd never know by looking at them. Besides, most business owners are pretty frugal.
Now, the professions who feel like they need to look the part are real estate agents, youth looking for a hookup and of course salesmen/woman.
Isn’t it amazing how many people look down on tradesman and assume.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah, they think the only way to make good money is to be in IT, or some white shirt profession. Wrong.

But it does make money for the colleges.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoloman View Post
Serious question. Who is going to make more money on average. A full stack programmer or an electrician? A physician or a plumber?
Apples to oranges. Pick an IT job comparable to the others at a normal level, not one at the top. You may not be aware but even where I live Gardeners are making $75.00 an hour.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I'm from the midwest (St. Louis) and lived 7 years in Colorado. I've seen my fair share of wealth and rich people. But having lived two years here in the "OC" and hanging out in Newport, Laguna, Coto, etc. and driving around Nellie Gail and so many other wealthy subdivisions it's sickening how wealthy people are here compared to the rest of the country. I mean what the hell does everyone do around here to justify this wealth and standard of living? Is everyone a doctor, lawyer, business owner, super professional? Some of you wonder why OC and CA in general has such a bad rap well think about it.............the average Californian or more specifically the average Orange Countian is so far out of touch with mainstream America it's laughable. I mean some of the people out here live like gluttons. The gap between the haves and the have nots is most apparent in a county like Orange that's for sure. I've never seen so many BMW's, Mercedes, Maseratis, Ferraris, Bentleys etc. The funny thing is this state is bankrupt. LMAO! It's quite ironic. There are many things I love about Southern California and south Orange County is a very nice place to live. But there are WAY too many out of touch wealthy snobs out here.

There's nothing like watching an OCian out washing their beautiful car or better yet having it detailed by some Mexican teenager all the while wondering to myself when the hell it's going to rain again. After all OC uses more water than any other county in Southern California! Yall are some funny people out here!
There's 40M people here and the weather attracts wealthy folks from all over the country...and the planet.

So even if you look at these areas as being where the top 10% live...that's 4M people. They have to live somewhere. How many people actually reside in Nellie Gail for instance? A couple thousand? That's a drop in the bucket of the total number of CA multi-millionaires. There are more than 2M people in CA that have more than 1M dollars net worth. To be more accurate, about 6% of the households in this state have more than 1M in investable assets (so that's NOT including their house, since that is not investable)

See where wealth is concentrated in California | The Sacramento Bee

Anyway, the point is, when it comes to millionaires, you're going to see a lot of them...and their cars, and their houses.

Hopefully this puts it into perspective for you. If you met 16 people tomorrow, 1 of them will be one of these people.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
No I am not aware of what gardeners make in your area. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Are gardeners now considered a trade?
Yes as they also install plants and grass, repair irrigation, etc for their customers. It takes knowledge so is a "trade". My step father was an engineer for ford and his gardener made more than he did and that was in ... SoCal. A friend in SoCal was making $75.00 an hour as a gardener 20 years ago and he worked 5 days a week. Then we get to plumbers and the price goes wayyy up.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
just like every profession or trade or business, not all will be millionaires or successful

Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gardeners are making $75.00 an hour.
a collision center in Mission Viejo just gave an estimate: $110/hr mechanical labor

does that mean the owner pays his mechanics $110.00/hr?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:07 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Serious question. Who is going to make more money on average. A full stack programmer or an electrician? A physician or a plumber?
I'm not sure what "full stack" means, but I suspect it means you're comparing candied apples to plain apples.

It might be better to take 1000 specific individuals with crackling new IT degrees and 1000 specific individuals with brand new Master Electrician certificates and compare their modal salaries after ten years.

It doesn't really matter what a relatively small percentage of lucky ducks make to pull the median out of whack (Mark Zuckerberg is, after all, a programmer). What matters in this kind of discussion is what income point winds up most common to the people who enter the profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County