Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 08:48 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The corporate elite are above the law.
Do you have a reputable source for that assertion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM

55 posts, read 95,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
If more familiar with northern versus southern California, it hardly surprises me that pockets of wealth tend to form, same as areas of poverty do. The phrase 'birds of a feather' has more than a little truth, and whether these social classes are separated by a gate or just a fence, there are still distinct divides.

Such as money. In America that tends to define your class and status, perhaps more than any other single thing. No wonder people are so often intent on displaying it, particularly if not financially exactly able to do so.

No doubt any given person can achieve the American dream of success, surely equated with money. But it should be self-evident that our capitalistic society is based as a pyramid. With such a configuration it is simply impossible that the greater majority can ever have the 'success' of a relatively small elite at the top. If many have worked hard to gain their position on such a scale, then fairly done and in most cases they've probably earned it. But it would be a lie to suggest that all others would as well, even if some certainly can.

Consider it closely. In most any business, whether large or small, just how many executives are there, just how many people in any given company making serious money? It can't be all chiefs and no indians. The wealth derived from these enterprises by those at the top is dependent on everyone else participating as well, but never the expectation that the secretary will make as much as the CEO. Yet without either the company cannot exist. Extrapolate this construct across this nation and greater world and it should be no surprise that great wealth exists, or that half this world's population, some 3 billion souls, exist on about $2 a day.

If you envy the person with the beautiful house and cars in the OC or elsewhere it is misplaced. Chances are they might have been lucky, and quite possibly become adept at playing this game. In America the scoreboard is denoted in dollars. Look instead to our broader society and its standards, most of all its perspective. If this world could be a cornucopia for all, only in a certain measure and balance.
One of the more eloquent and articulate truths written on this forum. That was excellent!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,742,578 times
Orange County, CA has probably the best climate in the world, or close to it.
The OC is a place where it is easier to find work or start a business than many other locations beacuse:

The OC has many willing and qualified workers for a startup.
The OC has many willing and qualified customers for any business.
The OC is much safer and has better infrastructure than Los Angeles or several other large cities in the USA.

All of the above brings in hard workers and dreamers from all over this planet.
A kid dreaming to come to America heard of Miami, New York or Los Angeles, but probably never heard of Cleveland or Bakersfield, - no offense intended.
Some arrive there wealthy, others make it rich later, some don't.
We lived in the OC from 1980 to 2015 and my best car ever was a Honda Accord, not a supercar by any means.
I loved the climate, the ease of finding work or the great shopping, the low cost of utilities (because the climate).
We left in 2015 and I'd never move back because where we live now is a much better fit for our age, but I'll be forever grateful to the County of Orange for the opportunities it gave us.
Amen.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I'm pretty sure he gets around 25k a year. Whatever Audi he bought, it had an 8 cylinder engine in it.

If I was getting 14k a year gifted to me it would have been 1000 times easier for me to buy my place. I could have gotten a much bigger place to boot.

A married couple can gift to a person tax-free $28,000, i.e. $14K each.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Do you have a reputable source for that assertion?
I use common sense. Everybody knows that when parties conspire to commit crime, all are prosecuted.

The fence is prosecuted along with the burglar. The prostitute is prosecuted along with the John. The dealer is prosecuted along with the druggie.

But when we get to illegal immigration, only the immigrant goes down. Not the sanctuary employer. This occurs on a massive scale in the farming, landscaping and many other industries. Politicians of all stripes look the other way. You might get a token prosecution once in a while but the problem and non-action is way out of hand.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
I use common sense. Everybody knows that when parties conspire to commit crime, all are prosecuted.

The fence is prosecuted along with the burglar. The prostitute is prosecuted along with the John. The dealer is prosecuted along with the druggie.

But when we get to illegal immigration, only the immigrant goes down. Not the sanctuary employer. This occurs on a massive scale in the farming, landscaping and many other industries. Politicians of all stripes look the other way. You might get a token prosecution once in a while but the problem and non-action is way out of hand.
I used to own. many years ago. a Landscaping Company in SD County. I did commercial landscaping for businesses and large HOA's. I had to give up the business because my competitors were hiring illegals at $20.00 a day plus a lunch (hamburger, fries and a coke) and worked them from sun up to sundown 6 days a week. I paid all my workers, US citizens, above minimum wage and had plenty of people wanting the work. It was not a business that no citizen wanted, as many claim.

The competitors would just slightly unxder bid me, pocketing a lareger profit than I did, and not saving he customer much at all, but killing jobs for US citizens while breaking quite a few laws. Nothing was ever done and is still not done about such practices and the excuse is always you can't get citizens to do the work which is a load of what comes out of the South end of a horse walking North. The State wants illegals hired. Oh and no taxes paid, no unemployment, no Social Security and Medicare taken out , no Workman's Comp at all and if they complained they were fired. Yep CA was looking out for them alright.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green&Green View Post
So it sounds like you agree with I-5 that the in order to cut down illegal immigration the Fed and State govs should be targeting the employers very strictly.
Yes, They target business for many things now under OSHA and other depts, as does CA. Those business should be targeted for sure.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I used to own. many years ago. a Landscaping Company in SD County. I did commercial landscaping for businesses and large HOA's. I had to give up the business because my competitors were hiring illegals at $20.00 a day plus a lunch (hamburger, fries and a coke) and worked them from sun up to sundown 6 days a week. I paid all my workers, US citizens, above minimum wage and had plenty of people wanting the work. It was not a business that no citizen wanted, as many claim.

The competitors would just slightly unxder bid me, pocketing a lareger profit than I did, and not saving he customer much at all, but killing jobs for US citizens while breaking quite a few laws. Nothing was ever done and is still not done about such practices and the excuse is always you can't get citizens to do the work which is a load of what comes out of the South end of a horse walking North. The State wants illegals hired. Oh and no taxes paid, no unemployment, no Social Security and Medicare taken out , no Workman's Comp at all and if they complained they were fired. Yep CA was looking out for them alright.
Yea, right. The state levies all these taxes because they want illegals to not pay them. I don't think so.

It is the private sanctuary sector that wants the illegals hired under the table. You even describe your competitors as being this way.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yea, right. The state levies all these taxes because they want illegals to not pay them. I don't think so.

It is the private sanctuary sector that wants the illegals hired under the table. You even describe your competitors as being this way.
The State is aware of this problem and does nothing to go after such employers. Yes the private sector is doing it and the State does nothing about it. We all know about it and the State Gov't does to.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The State is aware of this problem and does nothing to go after such employers. Yes the private sector is doing it and the State does nothing about it. We all know about it and the State Gov't does to.
Immigration enforcement is a federal issue. It's funny how the right wingers will shift the blame from Obama to the states now that the right wing will control the Feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County