Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Hey, I went to college with a girl who started with a push cart in Portland and ended up with a batch of them. Judy's Pushcarts. She sold out in the '90s and I lost track of her after that, but she turned it into a thriving business. The Korean taco truck in LA has gotten national press and advertises through social media. Even Mexicans like kimchi on their tacos. There's an opportunity for the right person with talent and motivation.

I knew Judy and I think I can put you in touch with information as to her whereabouts. Those who think a food cart is the route to sucess are not well informed or have very low expectations as to what success is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Hey, I went to college with a girl who started with a push cart in Portland and ended up with a batch of them. Judy's Pushcarts. She sold out in the '90s and I lost track of her after that, but she turned it into a thriving business. The Korean taco truck in LA has gotten national press and advertises through social media. Even Mexicans like kimchi on their tacos. There's an opportunity for the right person with talent and motivation.
I remember Judy's Hot Dogs.

But you have to factor one thing. When her carts were most successful in the 80's and 90's there were virtually no decent places for lunch in downtown Portland.

We had a Herfy's, McDonald's and a Burger King all of which are long gone. The Red Coach Burgers on Broadway still lingers. So does the Italian restaurant on Broadway and Washington. There were not much more than those.

There was not the proliferation of food carts we have today. Nor were there nearly as many regular restaurants. Judy had a great idea and saw the need for it.

I think today the food cart competition must be really fierce since there are so many of them. And I wonder if there are any spaces left for them to park? Also, some of the permanent restaurants are giving them a bad time since they see them as competition. I think the battles will escalate.

I love the food carts. I do. But would I start one up as a business? I think it's too late to make a successful living wage off it. I realize this is an Oregon forum and we are not talking only about Portland but if you are going to use Judy's as an example, there is more to the story of her success. She was in the right place and the right time to fulfill a definite need.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
I was thinking that the food carts in Portland are probably overdone.

I agree with the others; have a job lined up first; the culinary arts field is competitive all over Oregon.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
I have to disagree with the negativity towards food carts being a decent business. I think there is still a ton of room for a creative chef to really make their mark. No one is going to get rich off of a food cart, but it's a way to make ends meet and for the aspiring chef, a way to really show off their skills and leap frog to a better place down the road.

For instance there really aren't a lot of Vegan carts around, the ones that do exist have a targeted audience and are isolated. Few that sell any type of seafood other then fish and chips or fish tacos. How about a cart that sells S'mores? (The one in Austin is apparently busy year round and frequently has huge lines.) How about more fusion food carts? Koi Fusion has two mobile trucks now and makes a killing during Timbers games. That concept can be extended to other foods as evidenced by the amount of brick and mortar fusion places popping up.

How about a cart that does Steak fingers and fries? Or just small bite finger foods? There is still plenty of room to explore poutine, especially if it can be served up quickly. Whole Bowl has an awesome concept, and both their carts have huge lines much of the time, a noodle version would probably be just as popular. We don't have any real juice carts at all - something like Jamba, yet there are several down in LA that seem popular. And BBQ, there is lots of room for another good cart or three.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:00 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,213,623 times
We need some food trucks in Grants Pass!! Portland already had enough!

Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM

I went to The Oregon State site that did the research on food carts in all of Oregon. The report said they knew most vendors did not anser the question truthfully, but evidence showed a sucessfull cart made less than $10,000 a year before wages and after expenses. Wheeled Food Booths (another catagory) averaged around $18,000 after expenses but before labor. The average brick and morter made $48,000 after all expenses including labor. Most food carts are owner operator.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I went to The Oregon State site that did the research on food carts in all of Oregon. The report said they knew most vendors did not anser the question truthfully, but evidence showed a sucessfull cart made less than $10,000 a year before wages and after expenses. Wheeled Food Booths (another catagory) averaged around $18,000 after expenses but before labor. The average brick and morter made $48,000 after all expenses including labor. Most food carts are owner operator.
That's a funny definition of "successful". I used to do weekend mobile food. At the State Fair, three of us would clear $8000 apiece in 10 days, after paying all fees and expenses. Auction companies love to have food service at auctions. There are special events all the time, like Octoberfests all over the state, the Scandinavian Festival in Junction City, the Portland Saturday Market and Bite of Portland, Graffiti Days in Roseburg, the list goes on and on. We painted up a dozen different signs for the trailer and varied the menu to match the event. You want enchiladas and tacos for Cinco de Mayo? You got 'em.

I gave it up when I was 45. The 18 hour a day shifts were getting to be too much. You work yourself to death in food service, starting prep before you open and doing cleanup after you close, doing inventory, hauling in truckloads of food, water and propane, disposing of garbage and sewage, picking up trash and a host of other chores. In return, $10,000 was a good week, but far from a record. Some weeks you don't make anything, but anyone making only $10,000 a year is definitely a part time hobbyist. I know people who are paying off a mortgage and raising a family on a food stand.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Not the same as a street cart. Income is not profit, although most carnival vendors do make very large profits in a very short time. Street cart vendors do not. If they are being honest, they pay taxes on an average of $10,000 a year.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 31,735 times
Well thank you to the ones who have answered my questions or atleast given me an idea of what I'm looking for. And to Larry caldwell or whatever..(i can look that up my self) Obviously I have looked things up and need advice from people who live there hince THE CITY DATA FORUM. Thanks-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon