Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times

Advertisements

Many people posting here often want to move to Oregon because it is a liberal state. They should probably consider this:

It is often said that Oregon is a liberal state, but that is not accurate. It is more accurate to say that Oregon is more liberal than the USA as a whole.

It is true that more Oregonians identify themselves as Democratic than Republican (that might be why some think that Oregon is liberal), but many Democrats apparently do not identify themselves as liberal.

According to Gallup, Oregonians identify themselves as(%):

Republican/Lean 40.3
Democrat/Lean 44.3

Conservative 36.7
Moderate 33.6
Liberal 26.4

If you don't believe me go here: State of the States

Since there is a good chance that some of the 15% who apparently consider themselves to be Independent are among those who identify themselves as liberal, it is probably not inaccurate to say that almost half of all Democrats do not consider themselves to be liberal.

I would identify Oregon as a centrist state, or maybe even center-right but not as center-right as the country as a whole, that usually votes Democratic.

Last edited by karlsch; 02-03-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Oregon still has a functional state government, which makes it more liberal than most states. Republicans and Democrats split the house 15/15 this term and got along fine last session, working together to solve some very thorny budget problems.

Republicans in Oregon have a history of progressive action, like the late famous Tom McCall pushing for the first bottle bill in the nation, and the Democrats have a history of being conservative, like John Kitzhaber presiding over the demise of the state pension plan during his first term.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Republican, Democrat, Independent... no Practical. Promising to deliver all things to your base is a good way to get the other person elected.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Republican, Democrat, Independent... no Practical. Promising to deliver all things to your base is a good way to get the other person elected.
This right here. Oregon politics feels like it actually gets something done.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM

297 posts, read 726,598 times
The larger cities and college towns (more educated) tend to be mostly of the Democrat mind set, although many register to vote as "none of the above", independent, green party, etc.

Then isolated rural areas (less educated) tend to have more Republicans. And I think a lot of their views and voting habits are more along the lines of what their churches "tell" them to vote for and these would be things which benefit the churches, And voting that way may sometimes not be in the best interests of the people themselves.

But a good thing is happening to the rural folks and that is the internet and public discussion forums. There is a lot of "misinformation" in the minds of rural folks. For example they might gripe about some road construction project (what a waste of money it is) and have all sorts of nasty things to say about the "city" (small town) spending money on that. When in fact it is a county or state road and the "city" has nothing to do with it.

Anyway this misinformation is slowly being corrected on these public forums. Rural people are becoming less isolated and more educated. A good thing!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Republicans in Oregon have a history of progressive action
Agreed. I generally fall pretty firmly on the liberal end of the spectrum, but there were still Republicans who got my vote last time. A Republican in Oregon (at least west of the cascades) is pretty moderate compared to the extremism that has taken over much of the country.

Of course, Oregon being one of the most liberal states in the country doesn't stop us from doing things like voting to take away judicial discretion. It doesn't stop us from keeping marijuana illegal, or from voting down dispensaries. It didn't stop us from writing hatred into the constitution in 2004.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

109 posts, read 194,741 times
"Then isolated rural areas (less educated) tend to have more Republicans."
Huh, so my degree from USC is just a piece of paper.... I choose to live rural. I DO NOT want to be dependant on the state or federal government for any of my services, so that makes me less educated???? Really?? I'd say that makes me smarter... Depending on this government (unless you want free money) for anything is just plain laughable...
There is a reason people are coming here in droves... It's called welfare, food stamps, free medical, etc.. Bums are moving here in flocks cause Oregon offers the best benefits for people who don't want (refuse) to work... And WE working folks pay for that..... That's forward thinking huh???

Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
Huh, so my degree from USC is just a piece of paper....
How many of your neighbors have degrees of any sort?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM

109 posts, read 194,741 times
Just because you have a degree does not make you any smarter IMO... I chose to get mine for personal benefit. Even my neighbors are smart enough to realize that if you work you can have what you want (or at least a goal), but you HAVE to WORK!! They know they are not entitled to anything unless they work hard for it.
Somewhere along the years people have forgotten that core principle, and it is spreading (already in cities it seems) to our youth culture. So having that attitude of not mooching off the government is somehow not "progressive" or "forward thinking"??? IMO I feel that is personal responsiblity and the way it should be!!! I am so tired of hearing how past generation just didn't "get it".... They built this country and have to be shaking their heads in disgust to what we have done to it!!
I am educated and conservative!! Apparently that is shocking nowadays :-)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
Huh, so my degree from USC is just a piece of paper.... I choose to live rural. I DO NOT want to be dependant on the state or federal government for any of my services, so that makes me less educated???? Really?? I'd say that makes me smarter... Depending on this government (unless you want free money) for anything is just plain laughable...
There is a reason people are coming here in droves... It's called welfare, food stamps, free medical, etc.. Bums are moving here in flocks cause Oregon offers the best benefits for people who don't want (refuse) to work... And WE working folks pay for that..... That's forward thinking huh???
Edit: Not worth it.....
---

OP's discussion: Interesting statistics. It makes sense. Oregon is certainly more liberal minded (even the conservatives are less right/more moderate here) than my home state of MD which is known to be a blue state through and through.

From what I've read, the country as a whole leans just right of center as a rule. I'd say I lean that way, too (get out of my personal life and very conservative with money)....but compared to some of the ultra right wing out there I'm probably as left as one could be due to my stances on social issues......

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-08-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon