Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM

56 posts, read 96,496 times

Advertisements

If you haven't heard of it, head on over to March Against Monsanto or do a google search for one in your area. Not all of them are listed on this site, for example there is one in Salem at the capitol bldg at 12 noon- 3 that is not on the list but I found it by searching. Get involved people. We have the right to know what is in our food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
"What if there was a way to farm that spared the rainforests, cut down on toxins in our soil and waters, and provided healthier, more nutritious food? Sounds like organic farming, right? But actually, it’s GMOs." The whole story:

Why Organic Advocates Should Love GMOs : Collide-a-Scape

Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
It sounds like you already know what is in your food. If you object to GM crops, buy 100% organic.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
If everyone went organic, the world population would be cut in half in two years.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:43 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If everyone went organic, the world population would be cut in half in two years.
This is the crux of the issue. Organic farming practices can only support a world population that is about 1/2 of the one today. Being vegetarians would help a lot as lots of the food is grown for livestock.

I'm not a fan of GMO's and I eat organic, but I accept that the world population is too large for more natural farming practices.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is the crux of the issue. Organic farming practices can only support a world population that is about 1/2 of the one today. Being vegetarians would help a lot as lots of the food is grown for livestock.

I'm not a fan of GMO's and I eat organic, but I accept that the world population is too large for more natural farming practices.

Good Common Sense there.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
There has to be balance between the extremes of the tiny organic farm and the massive monocrop GMO agricorporation. Monocrops are an incredibly bad idea - 90+% of the soybean crop is one GMO seed type, which, leaving aside the GMO issues (of which there are many), is just asking for a massive blight or crop failure.

GMOs (in the US and Europe, anyway) are maximized to develop profit, not nutrition, taste or any other consumer issue.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 PM

Now I know why the march. Most of the protestors are tofu eaters.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

I'm not a fan of GMOs and I eat organic, but I accept that the world population is too large for more natural farming practices.
This x 1,000. You cannot continue to populate the world and expect to feed it with organic farming. My sister who has two grown daughters has just discovered GMOs and Monsanto. At first she was indignant but I explained this point of view to her and she had a little different point of view.

If you look at world population and its needs, human beings are crowding out all other species and overtaking all other landed areas. It's what we do. GMO farming and Big Agri was invented to feed the masses and we are the masses.

I'm not condemning and I'm not condoning. I'm saying that's what it is. All the protesting of Monsanto in the world isn't going to solve that.

Interesting that the OP signs herself mom28sofar. I sure hope means she is the 28th person to call herself mom or is 28 years old and not that she has eight kids. If that were the case, she would definetly be part of the problem rather than the solution.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
There has to be balance between the extremes of the tiny organic farm and the massive monocrop GMO agricorporation. Monocrops are an incredibly bad idea [/b] - 90+% of the soybean crop is one GMO seed type, [/b] which, leaving aside the GMO issues (of which there are many), is just asking for a massive blight or crop failure.
This is not true. You should be aware that 89% of all statistics are made up on the spot. In fact, there are multiple strains of GM soybeans. The most recent food grade soybean blocks conversion of lipids to hydrogenated oils, making the oils much healthier for the consumer than "natural" soybean oils. There are GMsoybean seeds on the market from Bayer, DuPont and Syngenta, in addition to Monsanto. DuPont/Pioneer alone distributes 11 strains.

Frankenfoodies make stuff up just to get people worked up. Verify before you pass on misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon