Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,953 times

Advertisements

I am planning a family road-trip (Four adults and one 4-year old kid) to Oregon from the San Francisco Bay Area. Here's my plan - would you please tell me if this sounds reasonable and do-able?

Day 1: (Driving up from California)
Visit Burney Falls; drive to Medford (OR), stay the night in Medford

Day 2: (Crater Lake)
Drive from Medford to Crater Lake; spend time at Crater Lake - Rim Drive. (No boat tour.)
Drive to Bend, OR.

How is the Bend TO Mt. Hood road? Scenic?

Day 3: (Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge - part 1)
Drive from Bend to Mt.Hood/Columbia River Gorge area. Cover as much as possible. Stay the night near Columbia River Gorge.

Day 4: (Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge - part 2)
More Mt. Hood and Columbia River Gorge. Stay the night nearby.

Day 5: Portland/Silver Falls [CAN USE SOME SUGGESTIONS]
Local Portland area sight-seeing. Stay the night nearby.

Day 6: Willamette Valley
Visit Willamette Valley - stay the night nearby.

Day 7: Newport/Coast. [CAN USE SOME SUGGESTIONS]
Drive to Newport and nearby attractions - drive along the coast. Stay the night somewhere in Southern Oregon? (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE - which city?)

Day 8: Drive back home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 AM

716 posts, read 2,816,745 times
Only 1 day at the coast?? That doesn't do it justice. However Mt. Hood and Columbia Gorge can be done in about a day if you're just sightseeing. I'd do something like the following.

Day 1-3: SF to Astoria or Seaside via Hwy 101. (see the Redwoods and the OR Coast)

Day 4-6: Portland/Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood

Day 7: Bend/Crater Lake

Day 8: Back to SF via I-5

That's still pretty rushed to do anything more then look out the window. If you want to truly experience these areas (ex: fishing, hiking, camping, sightseeing, boating, shopping, etc, etc) then you need to narrow your focus.

Last edited by davefr; 06-23-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
I like Davefr's suggestion personally.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,543 times
Unless you are going to stop at a lot of streams, looks like a road trip that may have bored all of our kids when each was 4 years old. They could have gone bonkers with so much drive time. But with ingenuity, you can add some interest.

Guessing you are coming up I _5 since Oregon Caves is not on the list.

If you stop several times each day at secondary spots for the child, sounds like the plan would work for everybody, although it would be more of a sightseeing tour with a few short leg-strethes.

All of you, would probably like the "Avenue of the Giant Boulders" as well as the Rogue River Gorge on the way to Crater Lake. Not very much walking.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:47 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
I can't imagine coming to visit Oregon and not actually experiencing Oregon. I would either do the Coast to Portland route for the entire trip, or do Crater Lake to Bend trip. Pick a side of the state and stick to it. Don't try to cover the entire state like that.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Your trip has you spending about 75% of your time in a car. 4 adults and a small child, cooped up in a car for that long, is going to get OLD, no matter how scenic the view.

I'd cut the trip back to head up to Portland via I-5 for the first day, stay a day in the city and poke around, do the Mt Hood/Hood River/Columbia Gorge route on the third day, head out to the coast on the fourth day. The road at the coast is SLOW, especially in the summer - pick a stretch of coast to visit.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 PM

162 posts, read 513,222 times
Over Memorial Day weekend I covered a good portion of the state in about 3 days with some friends. We went from Portland to the Bend/Painted Hills area on day 1. Day 2 we did Crater lake and then to the coast. Day 3 was the coast back up to Portland.

Judging from this trip I can say that although I am happy to have seen a good portion of the state, I was seeing it all through rushed and tired eyes due to driving and trying to force everything in to a very small amount of time. Concentrate on one or two parts of the state instead of spending 50 percent of the time driving, stopping, taking some pictures and then driving again.

One could spend weeks alone exploring the Oregon coast, this is definetly worth at least a couple of days. Plus the Portland, Columbia River Gorge, Mt Hood area, all within 90 minutes of each other could easily take you a couple of days to explore, the same applies for the other areas you mentioned.

I hope you take the advice of the people on this board and enjoy one of this nations most beautiful states in a wiser way.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,843 times
I would:

Day 1- Get a 6am start the first day and sharing driving go directly to Portland.

(Stop for a picnic lunch at the Railroad Motel just off I-5 up near Dunsmuir on the way.)

Day 2- Drive east from Portland along the Columbia River Gorge to Multnomah Falls.

Go back through Portland and drive to Astoria for the night.

Stay at the Crest Motel. Great view of the mouth of the Columbia

Day 3 on- Dawdle along the coast at your leisure. Relax. Enjoy and take it easy .

If you have time left, Ferndale and Mendocino back in CA are nice for short stopovers.

I would save Burney Falls, Crater Lake and Bend for another trip.

Just me.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDad View Post
I am planning a family road-trip (Four adults and one 4-year old kid) to Oregon from the San Francisco Bay Area. Here's my plan - would you please tell me if this sounds reasonable and do-able?

Day 1: (Driving up from California)
Visit Burney Falls; drive to Medford (OR), stay the night in Medford

Day 2: (Crater Lake)
Drive from Medford to Crater Lake; spend time at Crater Lake - Rim Drive. (No boat tour.)
Drive to Bend, OR.

How is the Bend TO Mt. Hood road? Scenic?

Day 3: (Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge - part 1)
Drive from Bend to Mt.Hood/Columbia River Gorge area. Cover as much as possible. Stay the night near Columbia River Gorge.

Day 4: (Mt Hood and Columbia River Gorge - part 2)
More Mt. Hood and Columbia River Gorge. Stay the night nearby.

Day 5: Portland/Silver Falls [CAN USE SOME SUGGESTIONS]
Local Portland area sight-seeing. Stay the night nearby.

Day 6: Willamette Valley
Visit Willamette Valley - stay the night nearby.

Day 7: Newport/Coast. [CAN USE SOME SUGGESTIONS]
Drive to Newport and nearby attractions - drive along the coast. Stay the night somewhere in Southern Oregon? (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE - which city?)

Day 8: Drive back home
I would save your money and just get a good Oregon travel video. The DVD "Oregon: A Tribute" has most of the same scenes that would be whizzing by your windshield on the if-this-is-Thursday-it-must-be-Portland itinerary outlined above.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,953 times
LOL @ Steve97415.
Anyway - thanks to the input from all of you, I am going to make modifications to my itinerary and really try to enjoy my vacation.

Thanks, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon