Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM

6 posts, read 10,650 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a week long road trip through Oregon in June and need a little help. We're not really interested in shopping, museums, etc. Want to spend each day driving for an hour in the morning, taking a short 3 mile hike, having lunch, driving another hour, taking another hike, then crashing in a nice hotel after a great dinner. Only plan so far is to fly into Portland and spend the first night in Seaside. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
A little more information about your goals and restrictions would help considerably.

You're flying into PDX, but do you also have to depart from PDX after your week is over?

Your plan to try and see Oregon while driving a total of 14 hours is going to limit you, especially if you're unwilling to drive more than an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,190 times
Like Cornerguy said, your really limiting yourself, with a schedule like the one you mentioned you might make it down the coast hwy in a week, there is so much to see, and that is just the coast. You also have the Cascade Range, Central Oregon and Eastern Oregon, all of these are worth seeing.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM

899 posts, read 2,941,567 times
A thought to add to this, The Oregon Garden Resort Hotel in Silverton, its about 15 miles off of I-5 near Salem and about 2 hours from PDX, the hotel offers nice cozy rooms dinners plus, 8 miles of paths threw oregon gardens itself..the paths are paved but lots of ups and downs..its so pretty out there..I'm hort volunteer there and never tire of wandering the gardens..
Some times the hotel as offers of 2 nights including breakfast and dinner for a very reasonable price..
Well thats my 2 cents worth..

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Howdy drule...

You could dine & stay the night at,

Wolf Creek Inn Southern Oregon

drive along lower Wolf Creek road to the Rogue River. Hike along the river seeing many Great Wonders & Beauty of nature downstream or upstream.

In Merlin you can arrange a one day raft trip or more, if'n ya wanna. Along the river there is a lodge & they have meals, on the way to Gold Beach.

hahaha

Out of Grants Pass or Gold Beach you can ride the Jetboat.

www.hellgate.com

Have a Wonderful Time.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

151 posts, read 326,195 times
There is some great hiking & beautiful scenery in the Sisters area, especially if you are coming from Silver Falls ~ only a couple of hours. And when heading out go toward the I-5 corridor & take any number of stops, back roads, hiking, photo ops....it's all beautiful.
One of our favorite stops is Depot Bay, Inn at Arch Rock had good rooms & decent prices. You can tour the lighthouses, or find any number of day hikes along the coast. Have fun! Take lots of pics!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripphome View Post
There is some great hiking & beautiful scenery in the Sisters area, especially if you are coming from Silver Falls ~ only a couple of hours. And when heading out go toward the I-5 corridor & take any number of stops, back roads, hiking, photo ops....it's all beautiful.
One of our favorite stops is Depot Bay, Inn at Arch Rock had good rooms & decent prices. You can tour the lighthouses, or find any number of day hikes along the coast. Have fun! Take lots of pics!
Tidal Raves is good restaurant in Depoe Bay. It's right on the bay and has a great view, plus the food is good.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Tidal Raves is good restaurant in Depoe Bay. It's right on the bay and has a great view, plus the food is good.
I agree. Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay is a great restaurant. I love their food. Also, you can watch whales swim right under your window (if you are lucky).

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 10,650 times
Thanks all!

Great replies and lots of help. I know my desired schedule limits my chances of seeing alot of Oregon and after reading your posts, I'll probably change my mind and drive alittle farther each day. I took a road trip through New England last summer and found that on the days I had a long drive, say 5 hours, I wasn't as inclined to stop and see things, because I still had so far to go.......know what I mean? Plus, this trip I'll be with a 17 year old and shorter drives might be best. Anyway, I really appreciate all your help and I think we'll probably just shoot down the coast as far as we can and then drive up the 5 back to portland on the last day.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,530 times
I think going south along the coast is a good road trip, with plenty of hikes and a pretty good variety of activities. You should start by taking Hwy 30 out to Astoria. The hwy mostly follows the Columbia to Astoria. Once you get there, climb the Astoria Column. That's a pretty good hike all by itself, and the views are amazing. You could head south to Seaside that same day. Make sure you stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory for some awesome cheese and ice cream.

You should make time for a hike through Silver Falls State Park, it's east of Salem, and the falls are beautiful. I went around Memorial Day a few years ago, and it there was still a lot of water due to the spring showers. The hike took us (at a slow to moderate pace) about 4 hours. You can do just the big falls in much less time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon