Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,323 times

Advertisements

Being a Fl. Native, and Noodles, you hit the nail on the head, it is sad...but truth hurts sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Having moved back to Central Florida recently I've become somewhat dismayed by the lack of choice/competition within the traditional grocery store sector. I find Publix to be on the very expensive side as well as having not having quality/variety of produce and meats. I believe it's due to the lack of competition. Sure there's Walmart, Target and the warehouse clubs but they're everywhere else also. I'm also not counting the dwindling Winn-Dixie presence and it's 20 or so stores in the Central Florida area. Pretty much anywhere else in the country you have a choice of three or four traditional grocery store chains plus the big box stores, plus the specialty stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Has anyone heard why the other chains like Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Kroger (which used to own Albertson's) are afraid of big bad Publix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Central FL is probably the blandest, non-progressive, and stagnant areas in the entire southeast. Most other "well populated" areas have more choices in every category from grocery stores, to media, and fast food options. Not to mention Publix, IMO has a very limited selection of grocery products. I really don't think all these people promoting Publix have grocery shopped anywhere West of the Mississippi, really. Where's Tom Thumb, Kroger, a dedicated WalMart solely for food, Albertsons, and the Winn Dixie's here are just nasty, that's why they always fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulefoot View Post
Being a Fl. Native, and Noodles, you hit the nail on the head, it is sad...but truth hurts sometimes!
I agree which is why I started this thread, and by the way grocer competition is NOT restricted to west of the Mississippi as chains like Kroger, Safeway, IGA, Super-Valu, A&P, Giant, Harris Teeter, Ingles, Hannaford, Piggly Wiggly, Price Chopper and ShopRite thrive east of the Mississippi in competition with others mentioned here as well as umpteen smaller regional chains. The fact that most living here (judging by the responses on this thread) don't find it unusual and are willing to pay higher prices for less variety/quality is probably in the end why other stores haven't entered the Florida market.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree which is why I started this thread, and by the way grocer competition is NOT restricted to west of the Mississippi as chains like Kroger, Safeway, IGA, Super-Valu, A&P, Giant, Harris Teeter, Ingles, Hannaford, Piggly Wiggly, Price Chopper and ShopRite thrive east of the Mississippi in competition with others mentioned here as well as umpteen smaller regional chains. The fact that most living here (judging by the responses on this thread) don't find it unusual and are willing to pay higher prices for less variety/quality is probably in the end why other stores haven't entered the Florida market.
I still am confused as to what variety/quality is lacking here. The only thing people could mention specifically are organic foods and pot pie.

As for quality, the Cheerios I get here is pretty much identical to the Cheerios in the rest of the country. The milk and eggs are the same. The bread is the same. The Oreos are the same. The bacon is the same.

As for variety, other than highly regional products that just aren't available in Florida, the stores sell the same stuff you can get anywhere else in the country. I've actually always thought Publix was better than what I was used to up north because of the great selection of Cuban and Caribbean food products you just can't find in other places. My parents always stock up on mojo sauce whenever they're here from Indiana for instance, and we've been hooked on empanadas lately using shells I bought from Publix.

For stuff Publix doesn't sell (such as high quality meat), at least here in Melbourne, there are local places like Petty's and Downtown Produce to fill that niche.

Like I said before though, I refuse to buy organic produce on principal so I don't notice a lack of it.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
As of last year, Publix is now the dominating supermarket in Atlanta. Apparently most people prefer it to the likes of Kroger, Harris Teeter (which is no longer even in that market), Ingles, and Food Lion. The free market always decides which stores will sink or swim, and in every market Publix enters it seems the answer is the same...people love Publix.

New Report: Publix Has Biggest Share of Atlanta Market | TheLedger.com

Old 01-03-2012, 02:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
I still am confused as to what variety/quality is lacking here. The only thing people could mention specifically are organic foods and pot pie.

As for quality, the Cheerios I get here is pretty much identical to the Cheerios in the rest of the country. The milk and eggs are the same. The bread is the same. The Oreos are the same. The bacon is the same.
Yeah. I don't get the whole "selection" thing either. If you come from another part of the country with a huge subculture specific to that area, you're not going to find that stuff here. There's not going to be a huge selection of Cajun stuff here like there would be in a Louisiana store. That includes Publix if they were operating there. I wouldn't find the selection of Latin foods in Louisiana that I would here. I probably wouldn't even find a large selection of Latin food in the panhandle Publix stores either.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
As of last year, Publix is now the dominating supermarket in Atlanta. Apparently most people prefer it to the likes of Kroger, Harris Teeter (which is no longer even in that market), Ingles, and Food Lion. The free market always decides which stores will sink or swim, and in every market Publix enters it seems the answer is the same...people love Publix.

New Report: Publix Has Biggest Share of Atlanta Market | TheLedger.com
That's it in a nutshell. And Publix is consistently ranked one of the best in the country, usually only behind Wegman's.

Like I said upthread, I don't have an undying devotion to Publix, I don't even buy much there anymore, but the fact remains that of regular supermarkets and grocery stores it's hard to beat. Even when I was in NC, the chain there (Ingles) was nice but still nowhere near as good as Publix, and even one of their employees said that to me! They just do it better than anyone else; at least as far as mainstream supermarkets go. Plus, if there is something they don't carry, they will go out of their way to order it for you.

I just don't see Publix having any real competition unless Wegman's came here (which I know nothing about, never been to one) because that one always seems to be uber-praised.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Publix cannot be beat. I'll pay another $10 on average on a grocery shopping trip to know that the place is clean the employees are cheerful, helpful, and bring your buggy directly to your car, and they will place them IN your car too if you need that, (no tips are allowed at Publix). Their private brands are excellent and well priced. Their bakery and deli sections are fresh and great.

I will buy plants and potting soil at Wally World tho.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,167 times
Pretty funny to find this thread. We left Orlando a few years ago and my wife was just saying to me how bland the grocery stores are out west and missed Publix.

I do miss their subs/hoagies and their excellent carrot cake.

Grass is always greener or something.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:06 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That's it in a nutshell. And Publix is consistently ranked one of the best in the country, usually only behind Wegman's.

Like I said upthread, I don't have an undying devotion to Publix, I don't even buy much there anymore, but the fact remains that of regular supermarkets and grocery stores it's hard to beat. Even when I was in NC, the chain there (Ingles) was nice but still nowhere near as good as Publix, and even one of their employees said that to me! They just do it better than anyone else; at least as far as mainstream supermarkets go. Plus, if there is something they don't carry, they will go out of their way to order it for you.

I just don't see Publix having any real competition unless Wegman's came here (which I know nothing about, never been to one) because that one always seems to be uber-praised.
Wegmans is amazing, and I say this as a Florida native. Publix makes better chocolate chip cookies though

Honestly,I would be happy if trader joes would branch out significantly here. Between them and publix,I would be set

Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Wegmans is amazing, and I say this as a Florida native. Publix makes better chocolate chip cookies though

Honestly,I would be happy if trader joes would branch out significantly here. Between them and publix,I would be set
I'm glad they're not here. I'd waste way too much money in their wine and beer department!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando