Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

I buy the "dry stuff" at Walmart and the fresh foods, meats at Publix. I find 2 for 1 specials at Publix very often and you can't be the service, quality and quick and efficent check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I buy the "dry stuff" at Walmart and the fresh foods, meats at Publix. I find 2 for 1 specials at Publix very often and you can't be the service, quality and quick and efficent check out.
One thing I have learned to do, too, is to look at the weight listed on the containers at places like Walmart and Dollar General etc. Often the package looks the same, but there is less in it .They have sizes made that are different than sizes in the regular stores so it makes it harder to compare price. Price gets you cause it is a little less than the general grocery stores but doesn't always save you money because you end up paying about the same per oz. for lesser amount.

I do go to Walmart for about 3 things that I get cheaper than at Publix but they don't always carry them so I leave empty handed.

Walmart has a 15 pound bag of potatoes that we make special trip there to get because they are good size baking potatoes and a little cheaper some weeks than the Idahos at Publix. They also are the only store that carries a salad dressing that ereminds me of the red dressing at " Monicals Pizza' places in the Midwest, and General Tso sauce when they have it saves about a dollar a bottle. Otherwise I avoid all Walmarts like the plague.
I hate that they swoop into small towns and do in all the small town privately owned stores .Right now they are building a Super Walmart in the town my family lives in Illinois. Town only has 5600 people in it . Originally built Walmart next to K-mart so did in the K-Mart. It also put another whole shopping center of small locally owned stores out of business and another grocery store ended up closing. Now they are building the Super Wallies on the land where the shopping center was. So now the town will have the empty old K-Mart building with an empty old Walmart building sitting there rotting and making the town look bad. Can't fathom how they will get enough business from a farming town to keep a Super Wallies priofitable, but I guess really low prices at first will knock out the other groceries and stores in the town. Then gradually raise prices to make it more profitable.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Otherwise I avoid all Walmarts like the plague.
I hate that they swoop into small towns and do in all the small town privately owned stores .Right now they are building a Super Walmart in the town my family lives in Illinois. Town only has 5600 people in it . Originally built Walmart next to K-mart so did in the K-Mart. It also put another whole shopping center of small locally owned stores out of business and another grocery store ended up closing. Now they are building the Super Wallies on the land where the shopping center was. So now the town will have the empty old K-Mart building with an empty old Walmart building sitting there rotting and making the town look bad. Can't fathom how they will get enough business from a farming town to keep a Super Wallies priofitable, but I guess really low prices at first will knock out the other groceries and stores in the town. Then gradually raise prices to make it more profitable.
Bingo! That's Walmart's business theory to a tee, yet the public at large flocks like sheep with arms open to welcome them. They advertise loss leaders at prices that undercut the competition which gets the sheep in the door, then once they're in bank on them to buy other items which are priced higher and profitable. Naturally since the sheep think they're scoring a big bargain with the loss leaders, they start filling their cart with other "great deals" which often include Walmart-exclusive size products which look similar to what is found in other stores but is actually smaller and priced the same or more by volume.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Another pro for Publix- good private label dairy products. We find their store brand premium ice cream to be better than Breyers from a taste standpoint, and we pay less for a larger container. Their cheese selection includes Publix brand brie, Danish blue, and Camembert. Latest good stuff- their Latin flavors yogurt including guava pastry, spicy pineapple, prickly pear, churro and other interesting combinations has a really nice texture and flavor for about $0.50 per carton.

We also like their orange juice, which is still 100% Florida oranges unlike Tropicana and most other national brands.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Another pro for Publix- good private label dairy products. We find their store brand premium ice cream to be better than Breyers from a taste standpoint, and we pay less for a larger container. Their cheese selection includes Publix brand brie, Danish blue, and Camembert. Latest good stuff- their Latin flavors yogurt including guava pastry, spicy pineapple, prickly pear, churro and other interesting combinations has a really nice texture and flavor for about $0.50 per carton.

We also like their orange juice, which is still 100% Florida oranges unlike Tropicana and most other national brands.
We always buy the Publix lowfat vanilla ice cream even when other brands are buy one get one free. It is the best vanilla out there in my book.

We also only drink the Publix OJ for the same reason......on sale this week btw.

I like their fruit on the bottom yogurt, too. Iusually stick with my favs of strawberry and black cherry, but have had the churro. Will have to try the others.

And if you have never tried them look for the Publix whole green beans in the can. I usually don't buy canned green beans, but for $ .79 or $ .89 a can they can't be beat. They taste like fresh green beans.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Quote:
We always buy the Publix lowfat vanilla ice cream even when other brands are buy one get one free. It is the best vanilla out there in my book.

We also only drink the Publix OJ for the same reason......on sale this week btw.

I like their fruit on the bottom yogurt, too. Iusually stick with my favs of strawberry and black cherry, but have had the churro. Will have to try the others.

And if you have never tried them look for the Publix whole green beans in the can. I usually don't buy canned green beans, but for $ .79 or $ .89 a can they can't be beat. They taste like fresh green beans.
So publix doesn't do this?

The Flavor Of Your OJ Is A Chemically-Induced Mirage - The Consumerist

Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
One thing I have learned to do, too, is to look at the weight listed on the containers at places like Walmart and Dollar General etc. Often the package looks the same, but there is less in it .They have sizes made that are different than sizes in the regular stores so it makes it harder to compare price. Price gets you cause it is a little less than the general grocery stores but doesn't always save you money because you end up paying about the same per oz. for lesser amount.

Yeah, it's tough to price match when Publix, Winn-Dixie, CVS or Walgreens have the 40 pack of Ziploc freezer bags on sale, but the boxes sold at Walmart/Target have 42 bags. Walmart/Target also carry the large pack of paper towels and toilet paper too, making price matching difficult. I am on a mostly low-carb plan, so I don't pay too much to most aisle food prices. However, I have seen price comparisons on couponing websites, and store sales with coupons will aways destroy Walmart's everyday price with coupons. The four aforementioned stores are closer to me than Walmart anyway, so I just shop at those places.

As far as the people who complain about the effect Walmart has on local businesses, I just hope that those people actually patronize the small businesses they claim to support. If you have insurance, there is ABSOLUTELY no need to stand in line for 25 minutes to give the Walmart pharmacist your new Rx, wait 50 minutes for it to be filled, and then stand in line for 10 minutes to pick it up when you can walk straight up to the pharmacist at Winn-Dixie, Walgreens, or the mom and pop place and get your Rx filled on the spot.

I can go to the car DEALER and get an oil change for less than Walmart and be in an out a LOT faster.

I could go on and on...

Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 AM

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
    Yeah, it's tough to price match when Publix, Winn-Dixie, CVS or Walgreens have the 40 pack of Ziploc freezer bags on sale, but the boxes sold at Walmart/Target have 42 bags. Walmart/Target also carry the large pack of paper towels and toilet paper too, making price matching difficult. I am on a mostly low-carb plan, so I don't pay too much to most aisle food prices. However, I have seen price comparisons on couponing websites, and store sales with coupons will aways destroy Walmart's everyday price with coupons. The four aforementioned stores are closer to me than Walmart anyway, so I just shop at those places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
As far as the people who complain about the effect Walmart has on local businesses, I just hope that those people actually patronize the small businesses they claim to support. If you have insurance, there is ABSOLUTELY no need to stand in line for 25 minutes to give the Walmart pharmacist your new Rx, wait 50 minutes for it to be filled, and then stand in line for 10 minutes to pick it up when you can walk straight up to the pharmacist at Winn-Dixie, Walgreens, or the mom and pop place and get your Rx filled on the spot.

I can go to the car DEALER and get an oil change for less than Walmart and be in an out a LOT faster.

I could go on and on...
Like I said I avoid Walmart like the plague. I do have relatives that are in management for a Walmart store here in Florida so I do hear some of what goes on in her Walmart, though.

As for paharmacies....We take advantage of the FREE meds at Publix. This year they even added some heart and cholesterol meds but not all of ours, so we generaly just use them for the free antibiotics when we need them.
We have really great pharmacists at KMart here so that is where we get our monthly supplies for $ 4 or $5 on their drug plan. We tend not to use the insurance for drugs because the deductible is higher than the drug plan at the stores. Kmart automatically fills our meds that we take everyday and calls us when they are ready so we can pick up whenever we want. Walgreens also has a drug plan that has a lot of generics that docs tend to prescribe, too. Checked out their lists when I found out they were going to close more KMarts.

My other pet peeve is having to carry a card to get a discount in a store so don't shop CVS and rarely at WD. I do carry the card for rewards at KMart and actually made enough rewards to buy one Christmas present (a blueray DVD- Disney 2 DVD pack) there with no cash out of pocket just from the rewards from buying our meds there each month. I like getting things for free.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I have never heard of this before. I will have to check in on that.

Just looking at the gallon jug...it does say 100% orange juice from concentrate with no sugar or preservatives added. Ingredients lists OJ and water as the only ingredients.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
I split my shopping between a nearby Winn Dixie (old and dated but not by any means dirty) and a slightly farther away Publix. I can't think of anything I want that I can't get at either store, and their prices are comparable. I refuse to waste money on "organic" products however, and it seems like the people unhappy with our grocery situation here are mainly looking for that stuff.

As for the orange juice flavor chemicals, the article even says those "chemicals" they add are natural. They most likely just extract the oils that provide OJ with its flavor and re-add them after storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando