Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 AM

398 posts, read 729,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Man, that's a flash from the past! BJ105 - that cracked me up.

I remember most of those except: Gimme Shelter

See if you remember any of these old bits of Orlando trivia (some of which are still here):

Kappy's Subs
Orange Avenue Gym
Sunland Mental Hospital
Zeta7
University Club
The Rainbow Lounge
Club Space Fish
"I WANT TO SELL YOU A CAR.....TAKE IT AWAY, BOB"
Glen Turner's Castle
Bozo the Clown
Bob Snow
The Winter Park Mall (and the big fountain)

Sure, I remember Circus World. What a disaster that place was - I remember spending a few hours there and thinking, "who would ever come back here"? In fact, the only thing I remember of it that was noteworthy was the elephant ride. That was kind of neat, but it was blazing hot out that day and neither I nor the elephant were having much fun.
It was "I want to sell you a van....."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
It was "I want to sell you a van....."
Before it was "I want to sell you a van"; it was "I want to sell you a car", back in the Massey Grindle Dodge days.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,276 times
Just happened on this--Is "Ice Cold Auto Air" still on the corner of Colonial and ?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 28,098 times
This was funny, well you have to remember that Orlando is a great test market due to the visitors we have. Busineses testing their brands will develop here so just in case it flops, customers don't remember that business after it's gone.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Some more that I can think of:

Gary's Duck Inn
The Steakout (Lee Rd.)
East India Ice Cream Co.
Valentyne's

Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 AM

10 posts, read 57,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Before it was "I want to sell you a van"; it was "I want to sell you a car", back in the Massey Grindle Dodge days.
Rip it in half!

Art Swindle. I forgot all about him. Seems every place has a car guy like him. In Southern CA it was Cal Worthington and his dog Spot. Spot was a Bengal Tiger.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 14,532 times
Does anyone remember an area off Orange Ave near Michigan that was referred to midget town. It was a small (poor choice of words) community for little people. Their homes were scaled down in size.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,173 times
Default More Memories

Great Thread, brings up tons of old memories. I have lived here since I was born in '62 so I remember most of the places mentioned on this thread, and a few more. First, the housing for vertically challenged folks is, or was, off of Kaley just East of Orange Ave. I am not sure if it is still there since I haven't paid attention when passing by there in years.

Some other spots I have fond memories of that haven't been mentoined yet.

Farrell's Ice Cream that was in the Altamonte Mall - They had these great giant sandwiches that you couod get slices of, and a huge Ice Cream concoction called the "Zoo", I think it was like the Magombo, in that if you ate the whole thing by yourself it was free. They appear to be making a resurgance in CA and possibly Hawaii.

Bill Baer's TV and Stereo - I think this was originally downtown and then had a location in Colonial Plaza and later in Winter Park Mall. It was the place to go to get the hot LPs of the day, prior to places like East West and such. I loved the Polar Bears, and Bill Baer was a real character.

Albert's Drugstore - I believe this was on the corner of Princeton and Edgewater Dr. in College Park. We used to hang out at the lunch counter and buy comic books here, especialy when there was an Art Festival there in College Park.

College Park Art Festival - Before Winter Park's event became the big deal it is now, this was the place to see art and artists (my sister had a booth one year). They closed off Edgewater for two days and had a great street festival.

Sampan chinese restaurant in College Park on Edgewater - Wade and Eddie were friends of our family and always cooked up the best chinese food anywhere. It is probably just a trick of memory, but I cannot think of any better egg rolls, pepper streak or sweet and sour pork anywhere.

Rexall Drugs at Michigan and Orange and the one at Curry Ford and Crystal Lake Dr - Another great lunch counter and all around discount store before Walgreens took over.

A few other quick takes:

Old World Cheese Shop at Aloma and Lakemont - Awesome baked and fried specialties
Taco Tico - Best Fast Food Tacos EVER
GD Ritzy's on South Semoran - Great Ice Cream
Malcolm'c Hungy Bear W. Colonial - just okay food, but fun atmosphere

I still have a book of WDW A-E tickets from back in the day , and a few of the "Magic Key" tickets as well.

Funny though, so many of my memories center around food.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 AM

10 posts, read 57,643 times
So many memories. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmkwray View Post
Just happened on this--Is "Ice Cold Auto Air" still on the corner of Colonial and ?
On Colonial there is a huge sign with a big arrow on a thermostat that moves between Hot and Cold...I can only assume this is the place. I just saw it the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando