Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times

Advertisements

The place with the plane sticking out was called "Off the Wall" I believe. I never went there but enjoyed driving by when I was little on the way to downtown on the extremely bumpy OBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 AM

36 posts, read 94,404 times
Off the Wall, you are correct.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,514 times
Default East India Ice Cream Park Ave Winter Park Fl.

I was a waitress there when they went out of business. I showed up for work one morning and they had closed up shop. The manager at the time was a man named Domnic and the assistant manager was a gal named Ashley. Owners were Margo and I can't seem to remember the other gals name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declared Ungovernable View Post
Nergril Cove
Three Star hardcore matinees (RV's Warehouse)
Sleep Out Louies
Electric Avenue
Marco Polo Park
Rimar Drive in Theater (All the drive ins for that matter)
East India Ice Cream
Decades
The walk up McDonalds on Colonial(Arches on the side of the building)

Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times
I miss Water Mania. I worked there in High School and get so depressed driving by and not seeing the "Screamer." What's funny is that if it was open I would probably not even go. I just like driving by and reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
The Red Bull
Townsend's Fish House
Captain and Cowboy

Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykalot View Post
Remember a store called Golden Triangle?? That is where the Target is now on Colonial.
I vaguely remember Golden Triangle. What the heck kind of store was that anyway? Wasn't that same location a Leeds as well? And didn't Leeds become Service Merchandise?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM

635 posts, read 3,093,057 times
Talking Winter Park is very cool! I miss the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots32837 View Post
The Naval Training Center.

The old tiny OIA MCO terminal full of Eastern Airline flights, becauase they were the first official airline of WDW. You can still see it from Hwy 528.
I remember the Naval Training Center, as I attended Glenridge Junior High in 1982-1983(8th & 9th grade) and the Navy was right across the street(where the new Glenridge is) and they'd fire off the canon during the last period of the day, which must have been around 2-3pm.

I also remember that big plywood mock-up ship they trained upon, which faced the school.

I also remember BJ105, and although Zeta7 was just a little before I moved there, a friend's "big" teenage brother had a HUGE styrofoam "Zeta7" sign above his bed, mounted upside down. He said he found it in a trash bin after they went away.

I also remember the "Booby Trap", even at 14yrs old thinking it was hilarious. That's too bad it is gone, honestly

And I was looking at a Google satellite photo of Genius Drive, and it looks to be paved now?? I remember TRYING to ride our bikes around the lake on Genius through the fine sand "road", and it was absolutely impossible. The peacocks and other wildlife were really neat. There were some great old houses on the lakes around there as well that in the early 80s were somewhat derelict, but were starting to get renovated. I bet they are multi-million $$ castles now.

I really loved Winter Park, and hold very fond memories of the area. When we moved there, there were about 15 kids in the neighborhood all within 1 or 2 years of each other in age.... all around 12-15yrs old, which was a great time to be a kid going through that time of life together. And it was such a neat neighborhood.

Good times

Al

Old 10-01-2008, 03:19 PM

12 posts, read 53,810 times
Default City of Lights

Do you guys remember the "City of Lights" celebration they'd have on Orange Ave?

Wasn't Orlando America's 1st City of Lights to be compared with Paris?

I remember it a couple of years late 80's/early 90's then it just stopped.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
I remember a festival downtown... was it "Light Up Orlando?" I remember all kinds of stages with bands playing. It was a blast. I think we saw Three Dog Night there. Back in the late 80's?

Also, someone mentioned "The Bubble Room". I think that was one of the first places we ever went in Orlando. Wasn't there another Bubble Room in some other town?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 38,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
The place with the plane sticking out was called "Off the Wall" I believe. I never went there but enjoyed driving by when I was little on the way to downtown on the extremely bumpy OBT.
The planes still stickin out of the side of that building, I remember going in there when it was the Towering Inferno though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando