Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
You DO realize it was a long weekend don't you? The traffic on a Friday just before a long weekend in ANY season but especially the tourist season is ALWAYS busier than normal, Osceola county celebrated the holiday on Friday to boot adding to the Orlando I-4 congestion..
The payoff is today for those of us who have to work

Btw, anyone get frost on their windshield?? I had to break out a scraper to scrape the thin layer of ice so I could see before I started the car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yeah Fridays latley the traffic has been horendous even on S.R. 46 they put in a new ramp in October.i Swear the ram has made traffic worse now traffic is backed up just about everyday on a road that barley used to have traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, Sean! There hardly used to be traffic at that intersection but with the "improvements" it's now like SR436 and I-4. I can only imagine when Southgate gets open what that area will be like. I've pretty much come to the conclusion many of those at FDOT aren't exactly planning geniuses, especially after forgetting to allow traffic eastbound on I-4 from SR-46A exit at SR46 in the redesign, which is going to really screw up secondary road traffic around that side of town with all of the new development.
Quote:
You DO realize it was a long weekend don't you? The traffic on a Friday just before a long weekend in ANY season but especially the tourist season is ALWAYS busier than normal, Osceola county celebrated the holiday on Friday to boot adding to the Orlando I-4 congestion..
Our observations had nothing to do with Fridays in general or holiday weekends. It's like this everyday now since the road "improvements" have occurred and have a pretty good handle on that as an area resident.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Our observations had nothing to do with Fridays in general or holiday weekends. It's like this everyday now since the road "improvements" have occurred and have a pretty good handle on that as an area resident.
Having driven I-4 numerous times, I disagree. There is a pattern of fridays being worse and I think part of that reason was hit on the head by HomesickFloridian. Especially before a long weekend, people are travelling to get in/out of town. Other than that, I am not sure. And it's not just in north Orlando/Seminole, it also happens in South Orlando. It's taken me an hour to get from SR 436/Altamonte to Dr Phllips on a friday when it would be 30-40 mins most other days.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Having driven I-4 numerous times, I disagree. There is a pattern of fridays being worse and I think part of that reason was hit on the head by HomesickFloridian. Especially before a long weekend, people are travelling to get in/out of town. Other than that, I am not sure. And it's not just in north Orlando/Seminole, it also happens in South Orlando. It's taken me an hour to get from SR 436/Altamonte to Dr Phllips on a friday when it would be 30-40 mins most other days.
We're not talking I-4 in general, specifically SR46 and I-4 where the interchange is being redone.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Fear not relief may be on the way.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...0,367999.story

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

511 posts, read 854,722 times
I always find it humorous how people here in the states take our traffic control and system for granted, try somewhere like Bangkok Thailand for example you'd never complain again, if you only knew??

Travel more and gain some sense of perspective, it'll widen your eyes and relax your soul.

Try this out:

Or this:

This is a daily occurrence regardless and no exaggeration...

Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I always find it humorous how people here in the states take our traffic control and system for granted, try somewhere like Bangkok Thailand for example you'd never complain again, if you only knew??

Travel more and gain some sense of perspective, it'll widen your eyes and relax your soul.

Try this out:

Or this:

This is a daily occurrence regardless and no exaggeration...
Very true. Just like India!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Actually they did and actually the example still stands regardless.. ChopChopO is correct for those who are not observant or are usually in their offices most days versus those of us who may drive as part of their living there is always a definite increase on Fridays and it also begins earlier as a rule people getting out early for the weekends and especially long weekends.

You, yourself mentioned you're not usually off on Fridays so it comes as a shock to you, now take the examples given you for the value they have instead of arguing and dismissing them. Of course in a construction zone it's going to increase exponentially that should be common sense but it isn't the primary cause, it's a symptom like a clogged artery in your heart which is caused by other factors be it clots or plaque but it's not the ACTUAL problem..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:

You're not the only one here who has gained a more worldly perspective. The conversation appears more geared toward the observation of more congested traffic, not a ***** and whine fest about how bad it is.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Very true. Just like India!

Yeah I had seen those too in my search for Bangkok examples but since I was speaking of places I've been personally and know of first hand I decided not to use it for an example but your point is right in line with mine..

Since being back I have little complaints about the traffic though I do wish the cubicle warrior, low confidence, insecure drivers would stay home especially on the weekends, nothing drives me bonkers quicker then someone crouched behind the wheel with tunnel vision focus and blinders on doing one third of the posted speed limit while everyone else is forced to legitimately pass them by....

I will say that driving there is quite liberating for someone like myself though, people actually have to take responsibility for themselves when driving and seldom is there a chance for a costly speeding ticket or other silly infraction, every man or woman for themselves, on those few occasions when you're not tied up in this mess that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando