Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 AM

161 posts, read 321,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
I'm not understanding the Obsession with people wanting to move to Florida. Why some would want to move to a climate that only has one season, high unemployment, and more than enough criminals is way beyond my comprehension. I'm not bashing Florida but trying to understand why folks insist on seeking to relocate here. Florida has become a gutter state and a place where the criminal element thrives, it is not safe in Florida anymore. There are more murders, home invasions, and robberies and more seniors who drive the wrong way on the highway than any place I can think of. It is even safe in some of the rural areas. Don't move here unless you have a job lined up and have available skills that will keep you out of poverty. I did not realize just how lucky I had become when I made the decision to leave Florida. My travels has taken me all across the US. and people shouldn't sell themselves short and get tunnel vision trying to move here, there are many nice areas in the country that are ten times better than any place i've ever lived in florida. i.e better home prices, income levels and cost of living. Palm trees and Sun is not just indicative to Florida folks. If you travel out of any of the major cities in Florida into the rural sections you would have thought you crossed into Mississippi. Don't be surprised as some of these people are living in dirt poverty. People who seek to move here do so with no job, no skills, and little education and end up being a drain on the Taxpayer. I get so surprised at some who inquire about how to find subsidized section 8 housing on the boards in Florida which you and I will ultimately end of paying for. Florida is not the place to find yourself folks, it's just not. I'm not preaching from a high horse, but trying to make people aware that Florida will rip you apart if you do not do your homework.
You obviously have not lived in New York. Another painter with a broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Seems that you made a poor relocation decision. The Yellow Brick Road wasn't here eh?
I guess your travels will take you else where but please do inform me...

Where is the magical place that will resolve your complaints?

Where is the magical place where no skills and little education will prevent you from ending up being a drain on the Taxpayer

Do you have a shred of evidence of any of your statements?

Yes, FL has an underbelly such as any state you go to. If you are looking to associate yourself with
the mopes and live among the mopes, then guess what? You must be a mope!

I look forward to your response to my questions about your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
I'm not understanding the Obsession with people wanting to move to Florida. Why some would want to move to a climate that only has one season, high unemployment, and more than enough criminals is way beyond my comprehension. I'm not bashing Florida but trying to understand why folks insist on seeking to relocate here. Florida has become a gutter state and a place where the criminal element thrives, it is not safe in Florida anymore. There are more murders, home invasions, and robberies and more seniors who drive the wrong way on the highway than any place I can think of. It is even safe in some of the rural areas. Don't move here unless you have a job lined up and have available skills that will keep you out of poverty. I did not realize just how lucky I had become when I made the decision to leave Florida. My travels has taken me all across the US. and people shouldn't sell themselves short and get tunnel vision trying to move here, there are many nice areas in the country that are ten times better than any place i've ever lived in florida. i.e better home prices, income levels and cost of living. Palm trees and Sun is not just indicative to Florida folks. If you travel out of any of the major cities in Florida into the rural sections you would have thought you crossed into Mississippi. Don't be surprised as some of these people are living in dirt poverty. People who seek to move here do so with no job, no skills, and little education and end up being a drain on the Taxpayer. I get so surprised at some who inquire about how to find subsidized section 8 housing on the boards in Florida which you and I will ultimately end of paying for. Florida is not the place to find yourself folks, it's just not. I'm not preaching from a high horse, but trying to make people aware that Florida will rip you apart if you do not do your homework.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
The crime rate has been falling for the past 20 years now...

Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
The OP makes some very valid points.
Too many people move here thinking it'll be just like where ever they came from, only warmer.

I think those from the northeast adapt better in South Florida, but people from the Midwest experience culture shock.

IMO, it cannot be stressed enough that the pay/COL don't go hand in hand, unless you have a very specific career. Even then.

My ex husband is a radiologist. Makes mad money, and he left because of the COL.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 9,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Too many people move here thinking it'll be just like where ever they came from, only warmer.

I think those from the northeast adapt better in South Florida, but people from the Midwest experience culture shock.

IMO, it cannot be stressed enough that the pay/COL don't go hand in hand, unless you have a very specific career. Even then.

My ex husband is a radiologist. Makes mad money, and he left because of the COL.

Are you referring to the COL in Fl? We will be moving soon, so I'm not a local. We have friends in the area and visit at least once a year. From what I've seen, COL is comparable to where I'm from...southern Louisiana and seems much lower than many other areas in the country. Rent is actually more in my area...a suburb to New Orleans. Housing is about the same...we have cheaper housing just as orlando...but it is in a less desirable area. Gas can be as much as 10 cents more per gallon in Fl. Food and car insurance is about the same. My home insurance will be cheaper in Fl..way cheaper. After Katrina, our house insurance went crazy high. Property taxes might be a little more, but you have no income tax in Fl. Seems like it all evens out at some point. It does seem like fewer jobs and less pay, but I don't come from an area where salaries tend to be higher either. In my profession, higher salaries can be found in other parts of the country , but I don't want to live there.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0506 View Post
Are you referring to the COL in Fl? We will be moving soon, so I'm not a local. We have friends in the area and visit at least once a year. From what I've seen, COL is comparable to where I'm from...southern Louisiana and seems much lower than many other areas in the country. Rent is actually more in my area...a suburb to New Orleans. Housing is about the same...we have cheaper housing just as orlando...but it is in a less desirable area. Gas can be as much as 10 cents more per gallon in Fl. Food and car insurance is about the same. My home insurance will be cheaper in Fl..way cheaper. After Katrina, our house insurance went crazy high. Property taxes might be a little more, but you have no income tax in Fl. Seems like it all evens out at some point. It does seem like fewer jobs and less pay, but I don't come from an area where salaries tend to be higher either. In my profession, higher salaries can be found in other parts of the country , but I don't want to live there.
They're probably talking about South FL which is very expensive. Other parts of FL are way more affordable.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post

Good points but my thought is Flariduh tends to be a dumping ground for the lower 47 states losers. If you can't hack it in Ohio, factory shut down, union went on strike whatever then move to Flariduh because you had a great vacation there 10 years ago and that bar had 99 cent beers, you went to the beach all day and there were a bunch of hot chicks there!

For old people: Florida was the retirement destination for generations of people, warm, cheaper cost of living etc. some folks don't realize that has changed!

Truth is Florida is great if you are rich or you can earn a decent living. You can't buy a fixer upper in a good neighborhood for 50K like Columbus, Ohio and there aren't union jobs that start at $30 an hour and if you know that going in then you can prepare yourself. The other thing is many people believe the zip code is their problem, the drugs/abusive relationships/poor career path will stay behind and Florida will be a fresh start.........usually not. North Carolina was the "new Florida path to success" a few years back, plenty were fleeing Florida for the cheap real estate and good jobs of NC but I think that has subsided for now.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi32 View Post
I really am leaning towards the Lake Eola/Thornton Park area as being the perfect fit for what I'm looking for....... It helps that I have experience in various opposite fields (admin assist, medical interpreter, cake decorator) and I will have some savings before I get there.
If you wish to live in that area, you'll need a salary more befitting a doctor, lawyer or engineer.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,463 times
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at the negativity shown by the OP. I grew up in Southern Calif (supposedly the dream place to live), and as an adult lived in Oklahoma, Ohio, Texas, Mississippi, and now here. This is my favorite place of anywhere I've lived thus far. I'd be curious to know where the OP now lives and considers the ideal spot in this country?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Not another wtf why would you want to move to Florida thread.

I'm only going to give my 2 cents on being "a drain on the taxpayer"

If somebody moves to Florida (or any state for that matter) and are a drain on the taxpayer, it's likely they were the same way wherever they came from. I try to be as self sufficient as possible. Entitlement programs were created for those down on their luck to use until they could find a job and get back on their feet. Not something to live on simply because somebody refuses to get a job like the rest of us...

When I had moved to Las Vegas I had little skills and took a job that made very little money, even so I survived without any gov't assistance, no food stamps, no section 8, no Medicaid, nothing. On top of that I was (and in my entire life) never out of work for more than a few weeks.

If somebody moves here with little skills, they had better have a good chunk of money saved up, or have family who live here. If I could survive in Las Vegas on minimum wage, I (and anybody with willpower) could do so here in Orlando if they're just starting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando