Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
I don't know why you're so negative towards this city, you must be one of the statistics in the list or had to actually pay to get into Disney or Universal when you came here on vacation, no wonder you're so upset and pissy.
He is, just because you were not impressed doesn't mean the other 48,000,000 people that go there a year weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
No, I was born there and still have a lot of family there.

I've been to Disney once in my lifetime, wasn't impressed.
Gee, buddy, is there anything we can do to help change your mind regarding Orlando? I mean, we're all here for ya, just name it. We just can't go on knowing there's someone like you out there that hates Orlando; we're losing sleep over it.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Good luck on your relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headedforhawaii View Post
Ive been spending 2 weeks every few months in Orlando. I'm moving to Orlando in 2016 or sooner.

So why am I moving to Orlando?

MY TAXES IN NJ ARE KILLING ME

24,000 per year property tax bill for my 2800 sq ft house and 2,500 sq ft business. No police or paid fire department in my home town. No paid fire department where my business is. I don't live or work in a mansion.

My Dr. Phillips condo tax is 2,300 per year! Plus no income tax! Plus pretty yellow fire trucks, yippie!

NJ WEATHER SUCKS

3 good months out of the year here - June- July - August. When it rains it doesn't stop for days. Sky is grey for days and days. Lyme disease ticks are everywhere and on everyone.

8 good months out of the year in Fl. Rain is torrential then gone, at least until the next day. I love palmetto roaches, they are big targets and you know when they are dead.

NOTHING TO DO IN NORTHERN NJ

can't even tip cows anymore, all the farms are gone, only thing to do is go to the mall and eat at the one restaurant in it- Red Robin

NYC is not an option for me- 1.5 hrs to get to Lincoln Tunnel then pay the NJ Border guard 16.00 to escape through the tunnel only to be charged 40.00 to park, then 250.00 each to get a good seat at a broadway show. Forget dinner - I'm broke after that! Plus NYC is in the bullseye of terrorists - I'll pass.

Things to do in Orlando? Ive found dozens of things to do that aren't even theme park related.

MY JOB IS KILLING ME

Can't cut back my hours here or I will lose my average house. Have to keep working 60 hrs per week. I dont spend enough time with my little boy. It makes me sick.

I can work 4-5 hours a day and afford to live in Orlando. My condo is 1800 sq ft, it's enough. I'm hoping to bond with my little boy before he goes off to college.

NJ IS SUCKING THE LIFE OUT OF ME

Long hours at work mean less healthy habits which means more Dr.bills and more meds and less exercise, therefore more fat. No sidewalks here. Lack of sunshine makes me SADD. YMCA is 40 min away.

Shorter hours at work in Florida will give me time to plan and cook and get my body moving. Abundance of big bright blue skies makes me happy. YMCA is one block away.

SHOPPING

One friggin supermarket here that's 20 minutes away, no choices.

Dr.Phillips has numerous choices within a 5 minute drive.

CRIME

I am the criminal here when I go 8 mph over the speed limit. We have white urban wanna be gansta rappers that are defacing public property here with graffiti . Beer cans all over the road. Lots of mailbox baseball. We have pedofiles here too but they are hard to spot and law enforcement doesn't have such a great website like orange county does. A neighbor down the road was stabbed and killed by her home improvement contractor last year in the middle of the day. My employees two cars were set on fire. Crime happens anywhere. I sleep with my house alarm on.

Orlando has real criminals! Oh I guess that's a minus huh? At least there are crime maps to go by and sex offender maps. Truth is I never let my guard down anywhere.

HILLS

yep there just too many of them here to slide down in the winter, hills eat more gas. Bird flipping is how people say hello to each other here.

Orlando is nice and flat, less gas used. You have a better chance of seeing the foreign tourist that is going to hit you.

TRAFFIC LIGHTS

They change too quick here.

In Orlando it is the land of the 7 minute wait at the traffic light, it's so relaxing.....

That's it for now.....

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM

329 posts, read 700,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Gee, buddy, is there anything we can do to help change your mind regarding Orlando? I mean, we're all here for ya, just name it. We just can't go on knowing there's someone like you out there that hates Orlando; we're losing sleep over it.
This, I'm balling my eyes out in agony

Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM

41 posts, read 78,433 times
I have no idea why anyone wants to move to Florida unless they live in a cage (Orlando area anyway including the area within 30 miles of Orlando).

I have gone to Florida for many years on vacation with my family. The last two years we decided to stay 6 weeks each time and find out what it is really like.

We had actually thought about purchasing another home there just for vacations.

Not what we expected. Cost is more than where we live now. People were not as friendly. Florida laws are not as people friendly. Weather can change in a heartbeat.

Too many people that don't speak English. Crime, abundant drunk drivers, foreigners that cut you off and should not be driving in this country, local drivers that should not have a license and much, much more.

No wonder insurance companies have either pulled out or charge a bundle for insurance.

We have 16 years of experience going to Florida as a family, but we usually stayed a couple of weeks at a time. I have been going there since back in the early 80's. I have relatives there and the kids enjoyed the parks. My relatives said they would move if not for their job since they had worked for the same company for so long.

I ran into a lot of people that have lived there for less time than I have been going there. Did not surprise me with all the transplants.

Buy a beachfront house in Texas. Better people, better laws, better drivers, they speak mainly English, cheaper everything and Texas laws are people friendly.

We bought land and house in Texas not near the beach because neither one of us like the beaches which are generally polluted and filled with people that don't have much sense. They will probably die of skin cancer one day. Now we can relax and have a great time on vacation four or five months a year. Plus they found oil and gas on our property with the boom in drilling.

A couple of weeks is enough when going to Florida. Too many rude, arrogant and dumb people in the area we visited anyway.

That is why people with money live in exclusive areas in Florida. They can get away from the rift raft others seem to enjoy or just cannot afford to be able to get away from them.

If you are looking at a trailer retirement community then you never own the land and you will pay a fee every month which can, and most likely will, go up every year. That is probably the biggest rip-off I have seen in Florida.

Nothing special about Florida. If you want to move there then move there. There are many better options available.

Of course you always have the diehards in every state that will swear their state is better.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
So where did you stay... Kissimmee? Davenport? That's not representative of Orlando as a whole.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
So where did you stay... Kissimmee? Davenport? That's not representative of Orlando as a whole.
He's mentioning "rift raft" and trailer park communities. Do we even need to dignify a response?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 AM

31 posts, read 49,141 times
I love Florida, it's beautiful here and I'm surprised that it's not full of larger cities. ..there's several issues with Florida, I've lived here most my life and these are some of the issues here:

Jobs suck, construction is down and has been for a while, which means there's hundreds of construction workers finding work elsewhere with noexperience.
If you live in central Florida you better go to college and get a degree in either something in the medical field or technological type degrees otherwise you will spend your entire life working either in retail, gas stations, restaurants or Disney ,Sea world ,and universal studios. This means those who don't fit under these professions feel like a big fish in a small bowl, you can't seem to progress because there's limitations.

The pay doesn't match the cost of living. ..6 to 7 dollars an hour, minimum and most retail, restaurant like to hire part time ,no insurance ,and rent starts at 500 to 600 dollars, plus car payments and car insurance (you best have a car otherwise you'll be relying on horrible public transportation and other friends or family members ).

This is a right to work state ,anyone can fire you for no ligit reason, we have no unions.
Most jobs perform intense background checks ,which leaves people with bad credit and /or people with a sketchy criminal history out in the street with no where to go.welfare ,food stamps sucks, meaning many less fortunate or homeless have no where to go. This adds to crime.

Rent is too high, apartments and houses are full of people and leaves empty apartments and vacant houses and vacant office complexes (starting your own business is taking a huge chance especially in cities full of houses and nothing else ).
Mortgages are alright but many people don't pass the background checks or are unable to get a loan.

The government in this state are idiots ,putting money into stupid projects which do not benefit the state.

On the plus side, you have a beautiful ,sub tropical state ,perfect to raise a family and to retire in. There's a lot of entertainment ,always a place to go to (depending on where you live ), Florida is extremely diverse (except in pocketed areas of racial segregation - I personally avoid these areas but as the years go by it gets less segregated ). Gorgeous beaches , relaxing. .. Florida has a rich history .

But what's the sense of killing yourself to earn 2000 dollars (saving up up to a year ) only to enjoy 1/3 of the ementities your own state has to offer ?

Last edited by Yandielprfloridian; 06-29-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:59 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Love My home state,,, and my city of MIAMI- nothing and nowhere like it... what I do know is in the beginning a brownstone house in the Bronx, NJ etc would sell for say $45K and people would come and buy a 3/ 3 with a yard- pool -AC and the beach and have money in the bank... economically still works about the same.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
They speak mostly English in Texas? Since when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando