Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM

78 posts, read 122,717 times

Advertisements

What about Davenport? I just saw it on the map so I thought I ask for your opinions! How is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junita View Post
What about Davenport? I just saw it on the map so I thought I ask for your opinions! How is it like?
It's a little further out there than the other places people have mentioned. It's in Polk County, which doesn't have as good of a school system as Orange if that is a concern. Davenport also has a lot of vacation home communities. If there's one thing to know in Orlando (or in real estate in general), it's location, location, location... This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't recommend getting caught up in the shiny cheap McMansions in the exurbs.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Just a quick googling of the area I came to the realization that perhaps Davenport wouldn't be a good place for us.

There seem to be many short sales in Orlando still.. I think it has improved but not that much. Has any of you bought a short sale before? It can be a good deal I guess but it still scares me!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
I bought a foreclosure in NC when a builder went out.

Took a little longer to close but other than that, it was just like a regular purchase.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Too far to commute and just, well, no.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:19 PM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Dr. Phillips would be the top choice, but due to your restrictions (age of home and price), it more than likely won't work out. I would look into the newer section of Windermere along 535 and maybe Winter Garden south of Colonial. Williamsburg might also be an option, especially south of Central FL Parkway. I would advise against Hunters Creek, as it's the furthest away, and I can't stand Orange Blossom Trail and John Young Parkway.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Can you please describe these neighborhoods? What are they like? I read somewhere that Winderemere is an old and small but nice neighborhood so maybe provide some descriptive words for a very visual person! We are moving in January and will live in corportate housing so we definitely have some time to think about where we want to live!

-Windermere
-Winter Garden
-Hunter's Creek

Oh, it's like 10 F here with inches of snow

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Can you please describe these neighborhoods? What are they like? I read somewhere that Winderemere is an old and small but nice neighborhood so maybe provide some descriptive words for a very visual person! We are moving in January and will live in corportate housing so we definitely have some time to think about where we want to live!

-Windermere
-Winter Garden
-Hunter's Creek

Oh, it's like 10 F here with inches of snow
Windermere- has two distinct areas: the old part of town around Main Street and the new part out on 535. The older part is very expensive, and is/has been home to the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Tiger Woods, and others. It's a beautiful area. The newer part of Windermere has large master-planned neighborhoods with brand new homes. It's more affordable than old Windermere but not nearly as pretty.

Winter Garden- New Winter Garden, south of 50 (Colonial Dr.), blends with new Windermere. Winter Garden has a really quaint, old downtown north of 50 but the neighborhood around it can be a bit iffy. Schools aren't quite as good as most of Windermere (Most of Windermere is zoned for Olympia, while WG is zoned for West Orange).

Hunter's Creek- This is a somewhat newer area (development started in the 90's), and has less expensive housing but still new developments in large subdivisions. The school's aren't particularly great from what I can recall. There's also a sizable Hispanic community.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Windermere- has two distinct areas: the old part of town around Main Street and the new part out on 535. The older part is very expensive, and is/has been home to the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Tiger Woods, and others. It's a beautiful area. The newer part of Windermere has large master-planned neighborhoods with brand new homes. It's more affordable than old Windermere but not nearly as pretty.
Do you think I can find a decent house there for $250,000 price range?

Thank you for your detailed answer!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Do you think I can find a decent house there for $250,000 price range?

Thank you for your detailed answer!
What do you mean by decent? It might be small and old, and may need some repairs if you are talking the main windermere area..... you may be able to get something better off 535 in the "newer" windermere area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando