Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 02:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Clermont is unique in that it actually has a little bit of hilly terrain in a few areas. Other than that, its kind of your typical suburban type town with shopping centers, sprawl, etc. I heard its changing quite a bit in terms of feel/culture and demographics tho.
Clermont has changed significantly over the past few years. By the way, we now have officially over 31,000 residents within the city limits. Not exactly a "small town" any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM

A few other things we have for families are the new community arts and rec center with a couple of pools, a theater, and lot's of function space. They are supposed to be adding some playing fields up there as well. Also SkyZone which is an indoor trampoline place. There is also a new dog park off 12th street with plenty of shade, and an adjacent new playground.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We have enough here so most don't need to leave on a daily basis, including employment, shopping, restaurants, and recreation/entertainment. I'd suggest you might want to actually visit the area and have a clue what you are talking about before disparaging it again.
Do you disagree that if a person is looking for a large city, they will feel out of place in Clermont, yes or no? It honestly doesn't take a month vacation to tell whether or not a place is a small or big town. It shouldn't require a treasure map. I didn't knock Clermont down at all. All I said was the OP should visit before making a decision because it is a small town that is far from points of interest in Orlando. If the OP is looking for a small town, than it is perfectly fine.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do you disagree that if a person is looking for a large city, they will feel out of place in Clermont, yes or no? It honestly doesn't take a month vacation to tell whether or not a place is a small or big town. It shouldn't require a treasure map. I didn't knock Clermont down at all. All I said was the OP should visit before making a decision because it is a small town that is far from points of interest in Orlando. If the OP is looking for a small town, than it is perfectly fine.
I think it's pretty disrespectful towards the OP to assume that they don't already have some knowledge about the size of the area or that they are only interested in large cities. It is closer to many parts of Orlando than many other suburbs are.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I might be considered an AntiFloridite -- My time in South Florida was absolute torture. But, the Mt. Dora/Eustis/Clermont areas of Lee County were very nice. I really liked that part of the state. So much so that if employment could have been gotten in a short time, we would have relocated there. I really enjoyed the Flea Market weeks in Mt Dora.
That area to me, was a very pleasant anomaly for Florida

Old 12-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I think it's pretty disrespectful towards the OP to assume that they don't already have some knowledge about the size of the area or that they are only interested in large cities. It is closer to many parts of Orlando than many other suburbs are.
There is nothing wrong with giving full disclosure and by just looking at a map, it makes Clermont seem a lot more closer to Orlando than it really is. That is the reason why I went there before, but it was just too far out. What is wrong with recommending a visit before signing a lease? Nothing lol. I didn't notice any unique character, it was typical small town Florida, mostly strip malls with a few walkable blocks on one street with some shops. Like I said, if you need a treasure map to find interesting parts of a small town, it will probably leave a lot to be desired. Besides the little downtown, it's mostly houses and strip malls, at least from what I saw.

For me, Mount Dora had a lot of small town charm. However, it is quite far out of the way, but if I was someone looking for a small town, I would choose Mount Dora over Clermont in a heartbeat.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with giving full disclosure and by just looking at a map, it makes Clermont seem a lot more closer to Orlando than it really is. That is the reason why I went there before, but it was just too far out. What is wrong with recommending a visit before signing a lease? Nothing lol. I didn't notice any unique character, it was typical small town Florida, mostly strip malls with a few walkable blocks on one street with some shops. Like I said, if you need a treasure map to find interesting parts of a small town, it will probably leave a lot to be desired. Besides the little downtown, it's mostly houses and strip malls, at least from what I saw.

For me, Mount Dora had a lot of small town charm. However, it is quite far out of the way, but if I was someone looking for a small town, I would choose Mount Dora over Clermont in a heartbeat.
Again, you haven't been here in several years. It has changed considerably. It is also no where near as far off the beaten path as you are trying to make it. I hope the OP has the common sense to believe someone who actually lives here and has first hand knowledge over someone who took a 30 minute drive around several years ago and has no idea what they are taking about.

Of course the OP should come and take a look. I suspect they will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Nowhere did I discourage them from visiting. In fact, I encouraged them to visit. I could understand you getting upset if I said, "I went there and it's no good, don't even consider it" but I'm not lol. I can't imagine the town completely changed in a couple of years. I have family in a small town in Alaska and when they say, "It's changed so much!" and then when I arrive and the only differences are a couple new restaurants, a park and a Target, to me that isn't big change, but for a small town, I guess it is.

I would just recommend that the OP check out Clermont and Mount Dora. They may as well check out Winter Park and Celebration as well.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Clermont has changed significantly over the past few years. By the way, we now have officially over 31,000 residents within the city limits. Not exactly a "small town" any more.

Yes, its grown. Used to be a small town with hills until all built up and kind of ruined its uniquness, in my opinion. Now those "hills" are just covered with cooke cutter homes really. I hate that it happened to Clermont. My in-laws used to own acreage on Sugar Loaf Mtn but sold it to move to the mtns of NC.

As far as the change, I was speaking more specifically about the demographics.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did I discourage them from visiting. In fact, I encouraged them to visit. I could understand you getting upset if I said, "I went there and it's no good, don't even consider it" but I'm not lol. I can't imagine the town completely changed in a couple of years. I have family in a small town in Alaska and when they say, "It's changed so much!" and then when I arrive and the only differences are a couple new restaurants, a park and a Target, to me that isn't big change, but for a small town, I guess it is.

I would just recommend that the OP check out Clermont and Mount Dora. They may as well check out Winter Park and Celebration as well.
You grossly underestimate how this area has changed in the past few years. Perhaps to the idle observer it hasn't but for services, amenities, and facilities for residents, the change has been incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando