Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Yes, its grown. Used to be a small town with hills until all built up and kind of ruined its uniquness, in my opinion. Now those "hills" are just covered with cooke cutter homes really. I hate that it happened to Clermont. My in-laws used to own acreage on Sugar Loaf Mtn but sold it to move to the mtns of NC.

As far as the change, I was speaking more specifically about the demographics.
The only thing Sugar Loaf had in common with what is actually Clermont is a mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Sugarloaf was the best thing about Clermont. I just hate that its all roof tops and cookie cutter homes atop the "hills" it has. It was unique to FL until then. Why not build in the flat areas and leave the "hills" as unique for the area and left alone?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Annark you need to chill. I don't think BMW335 said anything disrespectful towards OP or Clermont. He's entitled to his views just like you, it' a forum. I also drove around Clermont, and it is a nice area, but first impression was fast growth area kind of far out of the Orlando. I did't take toll road back to Orlando, I took rt 50 back. It seemed long going back. But BMW335 advising Op to drive out there first is very generic advice and didn't warrant such a harsh rebuttal. Have a glass of wine and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM

yea, aside from the hills, which is now kind of diminished b/c their covered by cookie cutter homes, its kind of typical FL. We just dont have much variety around. Shopping center, houses, gas stations, etc etc etc... same ol same ol throughout the state really.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
yea, aside from the hills, which is now kind of diminished b/c their covered by cookie cutter homes, its kind of typical FL. We just dont have much variety around. Shopping center, houses, gas stations, etc etc etc... same ol same ol throughout the state really.
How have the demographics changed in Clermont ? More families ? More diversity ?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:53 AM

148 posts, read 182,981 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Are there any particular bad areas/crime/run down in Clermont to avoid? What is considered the best part of the 34711 zip to live in?

I've seen from other threads that crime isn't that bad.

It seems like there is quite a lot going on and a lot of amenities for a 30-40 minute extended suburb of a large city. I live in what would be a rough equivalent in the Atlanta area (although probably more like half the population of Clermont) and the types of stores, restaurants and events just pales in comparison. Probably what Clermont was like before the spike in growth. I don't like insulated towns/small cities though so just needed to find out if Clermont was one of these generic towns with not much going for them other than they afford cheap housing for commuters, or a town that is isolated (whether geographically or by choice by the populous), or one of those old towns wary of outsiders.

I do value having the day to day stuff nearby which Clermont seems to have. I work from home so don't have to worry about commuting and we are not worried about schools right now other than wanting to be in an area that attracts families. I'm trying to find a place within 30 minutes of Disney or so as we wanted to spend some time there and I imagine anything further away will just mean us not visiting much. Of course there are plenty of other things we like to do but we don't mind traveling to those for infrequent "days out" like to the beach , interesting festivals or to the downtown/Winter Park areas.

Windermere/Winter Garden is on my list of places to check out but just wanted to give ourselves some options in case we didn't like that area.

We do plan on visiting but haven't got all the time in the world to check out everywhere in detail. So need to narrow it down to a couple of areas at the most. Lake Mary seems to be the place recommended the most but I think it will be too far out for us.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:43 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
It's fairly nice and unique for florida because of the rolling hills. Annerk is your best source for Clermont info. Hopefully she chimes in.
see what you started?

Clermont has one problem-- there is the city and then there is the rest- like step children, south Clermont area still carries the name -but has no benefit except the kids can attend the schools- I give A-plus to the school which they are- but the rest not for anyone who lives out from the center.- 30 mi to downtown by helicopter, the traffic is fierce, specially in what part you live in. Just consider everything --specially if you are in-house or a step child community.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Are there any particular bad areas/crime/run down in Clermont to avoid? What is considered the best part of the 34711 zip to live in?

I've seen from other threads that crime isn't that bad.

It seems like there is quite a lot going on and a lot of amenities for a 30-40 minute extended suburb of a large city. I live in what would be a rough equivalent in the Atlanta area (although probably more like half the population of Clermont) and the types of stores, restaurants and events just pales in comparison. Probably what Clermont was like before the spike in growth. I don't like insulated towns/small cities though so just needed to find out if Clermont was one of these generic towns with not much going for them other than they afford cheap housing for commuters, or a town that is isolated (whether geographically or by choice by the populous), or one of those old towns wary of outsiders.

I do value having the day to day stuff nearby which Clermont seems to have. I work from home so don't have to worry about commuting and we are not worried about schools right now other than wanting to be in an area that attracts families. I'm trying to find a place within 30 minutes of Disney or so as we wanted to spend some time there and I imagine anything further away will just mean us not visiting much. Of course there are plenty of other things we like to do but we don't mind traveling to those for infrequent "days out" like to the beach , interesting festivals or to the downtown/Winter Park areas.

Windermere/Winter Garden is on my list of places to check out but just wanted to give ourselves some options in case we didn't like that area.

We do plan on visiting but haven't got all the time in the world to check out everywhere in detail. So need to narrow it down to a couple of areas at the most. Lake Mary seems to be the place recommended the most but I think it will be too far out for us.
Windermere is so much nicer in every category including crime, location, and atmosphere. However, it is also a lot more expensive. I would highly recommend checking out Windermere/Dr. Phillips (they are next to each other, so why not), Winter Park (when you think of small town charm, this is it) and maybe you'll like Celebration too (might as well check it out). I'm sure you will find an area you love!

Old 12-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
How have the demographics changed in Clermont ? More families ? More diversity ?

Diversity.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Diversity.
It is diverse, but 34711 is primarily middle class with pockets of upper middle and wealth. There are also pockets of working class and a small bit of poverty. We don't have low income housing projects or welfare motels, and the crime rate is generally low. My specific neighborhood is like the UN with families of many nationalities/races including white, black, Hispanic, Asian Indian, Middle Eastern, Fillipino, Chinese, and I'm sure I am forgetting someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando