Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Property taxes in Florida are high, therefore rich people pay a lot in taxes unless they decide to live in a trailer, but most rich people don't want to live in a trailer park. Compare the ownership rates among the cities you admire such as San Francisco and then compare them to Orlando. You tell me which city has a higher homeownership rate.

People with good incomes don't qualify for social programs in these cities. If anything, these cities punish people with good paying jobs so they can fund their pet projects.
Property taxes in at least Hillsborough county and are only 2%. That is very low compared to what most places have property tax wise.

And I don't envy to be San fran or New York. You keep saying that and no one here has claimed to want to be those cities. But you are being silly comparing floridas much smaller metros to some of the leading financial centers on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Absolutely....there are umpteen other cities with better salaries and more affordable rental housing in particular.
America’s Most Affordable Cities | Forbes

Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
And I don't envy to be San fran or New York. You keep saying that and no one here has claimed to want to be those cities. But you are being silly comparing florida's much smaller metros to some of the leading financial centers on earth.
Which is the same old "comparing apples to orange" tact the cheerleaders repeatedly use to try and win the argument. Orlando is no SF or NYC (or truly major city) so the comparison point is moot.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
SF has no suburbs ?
Quote:
Which is the same old "comparing apples to orange" tact the cheerleaders repeatedly use to try and win the argument. Orlando is no SF or NYC (or truly major city) so the comparison point is moot.

Yeah sure, check out home prices in Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Jose.... Heck check out Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley, Lafayette. It shows how little so many doom and gloomers know, they think only SF is expensive, well check out these other cities and this is going out to up to a 1 hour commute without traffic, with rush hour traffic it can be easily be up to 2 hours. Mountain View is nothing special yet the average home is over $1 million. Even Oakland you need serious cash to afford a place in a decent area. The bad areas of Oakland are really bad. I met a couple who sold their small house in Rockridge for $950,000 last year, that home now is worth well over $1.2 million and it's small and old compared to Florida standards.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Fine, compared to Gary Indiana, flint michigan, reading PA, Stockton CA, or Memphis TN, I'd rather be in Orlando

Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yeah sure, check out home prices in Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Jose.... Heck check out Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley, Lafayette. It shows how little so many doom and gloomers know, they think only SF is expensive, well check out these other cities and this is going out to up to a 1 hour commute without traffic, with rush hour traffic it can be easily be up to 2 hours. Mountain View is nothing special yet the average home is over $1 million. Even Oakland you need serious cash to afford a place in a decent area. The bad areas of Oakland are really bad. I met a couple who sold their small house in Rockridge for $950,000 last year, that home now is worth well over $1.2 million and it's small and old compared to Florida standards.
Commuting where ? Not everyone works in downtown SF and there's a reason home prices are high out there, just as they are for parts of Boston, NYC, Seattle and every place else.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy Orlando and your yard and pool. Gonna do your own lawn/landscaping/pool maintenance or contract out ? Do you enjoy the climate in CFL as opposed to NCal ?

You're starting to sound like someone who is trying hard to justify his move to Orlando. Don't know when you lived in Orlando last, but it's probably changed some since you did.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Commuting where ? Not everyone works in downtown SF and there's a reason home prices are high out there, just as they are for parts of Boston, NYC, Seattle and every place else.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy Orlando and your yard and pool. Gonna do your own lawn/landscaping/pool maintenance or contract out ? Do you enjoy the climate in CFL as opposed to NCal ?

You're starting to sound like someone who is trying hard to justify his move to Orlando. Don't know when you lived in Orlando last, but it's probably changed some since you did.
Leftee, considering the drought and the fires, and ridiculous housing and taxation costs there, do you not see where people like BMW and I are coming from?

I literally would be the paid close to the same in my line of work between here or there. That automatically gives FL the win any day, any time in my book. And i don't have to worry about washing my nice car or watering my lawn

Old 09-10-2015, 01:38 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:

Most people work in San Francisco or Silicon Valley, at least the high paying jobs you hear about. And the cities and towns I mentioned are along the Peninsula, South Bay and East Bay, ranging from 20,000 people to 1 million people. I honestly encourage you to try moving here. We get so many people wanting to move here from other states like Florida and Georgia not taking the cost of living seriously, complaining that they have to go to a laundromat to wash their clothes, complaining there is no storage, complaining they can barely pay for rent and that's with having room mates etc.

I don't want to get too personal here, but since nobody knows me I guess I can say these things, but my net worth is is pretty high (edit I didn't feel comfortable given a dollar amount). I have a good income. I honestly could move anywhere. I could stay in San Francisco and be comfortable in a 1 bedroom or I could move to Orlando and have a beautiful house with actual space that I can grow into and one day start a family. One of my neighbors here lives in a 2 bedroom, 900 square feet condo with the mom, dad, grandma and two children. This isn't uncommon here. And I seriously don't believe you if you think you would be happy with that. The novelty of living in the Bay Area would wear off very fast.

So, I'm not trying to justify my move. I'm choosing to move there. The best way to make a decision is to test out each place, item, service and then after having experienced both you can make a decision that will be pretty accurate. I love the weather in Orlando. I love the atmosphere. I used to do the pool and lawn maintenance when I lived there myself. I've gone to Orlando every year since 2012. I still have friends there as well.

I don't mean this in a smart a** manner, but seriously if you really think the Bay Area would offer such a great life, you should move there to try it out. Maybe you would enjoy renting a bunkbed for $1,800 per month? lol

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/vid...-1800-a-month/

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-10-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fine, compared to Gary Indiana, flint michigan, reading PA, Stockton CA, or Memphis TN, I'd rather be in Orlando
Now there's a ringing endorsement of Orlando!

Old 09-10-2015, 02:50 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
I'd like to know, for my personal sake, what exactly is it that those bashing Orlando think Orlando DOESN'T have that other cities do?
I don't get the whole comparison to Charlotte, for example. Sure, similar-sized cities, but they have entirely different vibes.
Wages? Jobs? I guess I must just be one of those lucky guys to have a decent job in my field of study with wages comparable to the national average (actually higher due to the significant overtime I get to put in due to worker shortages... YES, WORKER SHORTAGES). I am also in no fear of being unemployed, as there are currently 3 other local firms within the same industry that have, and continue, to offer me employment. Oh, and I'm still under 30.
Same with my wife: She's been working in the medical field since her early 20s, now owns a successful business, and is constantly hiring as business is booming.
My friends? All are pretty well-off, even those who opted not to go to college for a 4-year degree.

So, I have a good, stable job,
The weather is nice, year-round,
I am able to afford a nice-sized house with a 1/2 acre backyard with a mortgage under $1500/month
I live in a low-crime area
Beaches are nearby
Flights in and out are cheap, and take you pretty much anywhere,
Laid-back lifestyle versus what I was used to prior,
LOTS of entertainment venues

The list goes on.

Sure, there are plenty of things to 8itch about also, but then, what city doesn't have that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando