Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,078,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
San Francisco and NYC are not the type of places you can just move to. The worlds leading cities in financial and technology innovation are expensive and liberal policies has nothing to do with that. What about cities like Minneapolis? Or Columbus? Or Seattle? Or even Texas cities like Houston or Dallas that have consideray higher incomes and low cost of living?

If you think democratic politics gave San Fran and New York their high cost of living you are overlooking a million other factors.
It's the 'liberal' policies of Rent Control/Stabilization that have created an illusionary middle class in such cities. Yes, the high wages makes it difficult to afford NYC and SF today and jobs there can justify some of those costs- for those in top earning fields-

However, a huge glut of people living in NYC and SF are paying rents far below market value. In some cases, far far below market value.

Over 50% of Manhattan renters are protected under Rent Control/Rent Stabilization, SF about 75%. A bulk living middle class lives- who could never afford to do so if they moved there today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 PM

118 posts, read 199,236 times
I've made more in Orlando than I did in both Atlanta & DC. The tourist industry doesn't strike me as a high paying industry, yet it is what dominates the area.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
San Francisco and NYC are not the type of places you can just move to. The worlds leading cities in financial and technology innovation are expensive and liberal policies has nothing to do with that. What about cities like Minneapolis? Or Columbus? Or Seattle? Or even Texas cities like Houston or Dallas that have consideray higher incomes and low cost of living?

If you think democratic politics gave San Fran and New York their high cost of living you are overlooking a million other factors.
Who wants to live in most of those cities though? Seattle has very high housing costs unless you want an hour or more commute each way to and from work. It also has one of the highest homeless rates in the country. Top 10 U.S. Cities With A High Homelessness Rate

I do agree that politics are only a small bit of the problem.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you know I posted the differences- so all would take note on Alabama! Anyhow saw the tonight's news- they had another protest walk for income increases. We are not looking good nationwide

according to a U.S Department of Labor study, workers in the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area had an average hourly wage of $19.33 in May 2014, about 15 percent below the nationwide average of $22.71.

Low wage protest march held in downtown Orlando
They can protest all they want. They might be better off using their time to get a better education, learn a new skill, or find a better job. Typical "gimme" mentality.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
I see some of the usual suspects have jumped into this one.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I see some of the usual suspects have jumped into this one.
I see a lot of carpetbaggers who have no ties to Orlando trying to stick their nose into business that doesn't concern them.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,398,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I see a lot of carpetbaggers who have no ties to Orlando trying to stick their nose into business that doesn't concern them.
I don't think that's fair. Onyx has been here to Orlando. Onyx is planning to move here.

Didn't you move here from somewhere else at one time?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I don't think that's fair. Onyx has been here to Orlando. Onyx is planning to move here.

A lot of people are planning on moving here. Most of them never will.

I didn't stick my nose into things until I was living here, because until I paid property taxes and was eligible to vote in Florida, it was no business of mine.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:00 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They can protest all they want. They might be better off using their time to get a better education, learn a new skill, or find a better job. Typical "gimme" mentality.
But protesting is easier and more fun!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post

HUH?? I live in Altamonte Springs?? I already live in the metro. I dont think Annerk was referring to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando