Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
And how do you suggest they pulled that off?
That would be an essay to write. For one thing, look at what Scott has done with Obamacare. Scott has fought against healthcare reform to the bitter end, and despite all his attempts to sabotage it the reform had more success in Florida than any other state. More than 1.5 million Floridians are enrolled through the exchanges. This shows how desperate Florida was for healthcare reform. So few jobs offer health insurance here and the private market failed them, yet Republican governors have never done a thing to fix this problem and continue to fight back against any national efforts to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 04:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,528,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
So I guess all of the doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, and executives fly in from Atlanta or somewhere everyday to work here?
Nah im sure Orlando has local Lawyers, engineers and executives. Why do they have to be from Atlanta? I think the big issue is the MIDDLE it was stated the averge is 25000-30000, All of Annerks friends earn 100k-200k...so where are the 40000 - 90000 earners? Where is the middle? I think if the MiDDLe pay earners go up it would look better for Orlando, but the small upper class would have issues.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:39 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Check home ownership rates between California and Florida. We have people here earning $100k and still saying they will be destined to be a renter for life unless they move out to the boonies. Now our governor wants to increase the tax on gas by 7 cents when we already have the highest in the country and on top of that charge something liek $65 year for a new highway tax and Democrats are saying that still isnt enough even though we just increased our state income taxes recently. It never ends which is why the middle class is being pushed out of the state. Look at any major city in Europe. Liberal policies on the state and local level drive up cost of living so much.
There are so many differences between California and Florida that jack up California's cost of living. The mountains which limit land use, the vast array of high paying industries (Hollywood, Silicon Valley), the international investment (Chinese buyers have been a huge fuel of the California housing market).

And Europe being expensive? Let me guess, you are looking at housing costs in Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, and London. A lot of Europe is quite affordable, but of course those aren't the areas with ancient historical sites and massive tourism.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It only works in our favor because we worked hard to get to where we are.

I also have friends who are scraping by. They fall into two categories. People who made bad choices in life and in most cases continue to do so, and people who are actively working towards gaining education and/or job skills to get ahead.

One of my best friends makes $20K a year. She made some bad choices earlier in her life. She decided that she wanted better for herself, and a couple years ago formulated a plan to make it happen. She quit drinking and smoking to have money and time to earn a college degree. She now works full time and goes to college full time on top of it. She's 43 years old. She will graduate with a BA in two more years. She did her first two years at Valencia and is now at UCF. She will graduate with a very manageable $12K in student loans. I'm super proud of her. She isn't looking for a hand out and is doing this for herself, by herself.
You worked hard, we dont know your friends situation. Keep judgment up though Annerk, its great for the thread and the forum.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Nah im sure Orlando has local Lawyers, engineers and executives. Why do they have to be from Atlanta? I think the big issue is the MIDDLE it was stated the averge is 25000-30000, All of Annerks friends earn 100k-200k...so where are the 40000 - 90000 earners? Where is the middle? I think if the MiDDLe pay earners go up it would look better for Orlando, but the small upper class would have issues.
I never said all.

Considering that there are a LOT of retirees working seasonal at Disney earning $2000/year and free park admission skewing those numbers...

Keep in mind that I said household income. That means two people. So an average of $50-80K per person for most of them. I have friends who are both professionals. He works full time, she works two or three days a month to keep her license active. (She's in health care so can do per diem work) She probably earns a total of $10K a year while he earns $90K. If they both worked FT they would earn close to $200K, but she chooses to stay home with their children.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
You worked hard, we dont know your friends situation. Keep judgment up though Annerk, its great for the thread and the forum.
White female, never married, came from a working class family in the mid west. Had a drinking problem and smoked two packs a day before quitting both. Made some irresponsible choices as far as her finances went that took a long time to fix. Not sure what more you want or need to know.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I think the easy solution to this discussion is for the people who think Florida is the worst when it comes to wages / col is to try moving to one of these high paying job areas like SF or NYC and then see how you feel.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:49 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
I came from where I could see both sides of this coin, but I too worked hard, 2 jobs and so forth. I beat a heap of people for the higher positions more than once. BUT not for what I had- but my attitude. You know the question -can you manage people? What do you do with difficult employees?. and so forth-
The difference is not that we worked hard -took extra classes etc, and pushed to get ahead-- bravo! We earned our good position but ALL people are just as worthy as anyone, no more no less and must be treated with respect. Whether they make min wage or $300K a year they are PEOPLE. Some here have a true hatred of their fellow man because of their own opinion of how life should BE- they KNOW nothing of that person... but look down on them.
I was able to witness several wealthy people who are crooks-get dinged, no different of the kids at a corner selling drugs. I consider them the same, and I judge more harshly the one who had the opportunists and became greedy and vile. Having respect is not giving an excuse not to be ambitious and work at it- as you said dressing professionally might get you places- so you also never know that poor guy sleeping under the tree is another Beethoven right? stop looking down ...
A homeless violinist - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUwpjIV38Q

Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, I resent people who moan and complain about their lot in life but refuse to get a clue and do anything productive about it. There are a couple on these boards who fit into that shoe.
How are you going to stop those who moan and complain Annerk? Those same people resent you right back. No one was complaining but Joey, who didnt even start this thread. Orlamdo has a lot of POOR people. Keep blaming them and people will continue to lash out at you. Im not poor, i just dont agree with poor shaming. Especially when you say YOU started poor. Why did you start poor?

Old 09-07-2015, 04:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Nah im sure Orlando has local Lawyers, engineers and executives. Why do they have to be from Atlanta?
Probably because Atlanta is the big city more connected to Orlando than any other, followed by NY and Miami.

Quote:
I think the big issue is the MIDDLE it was stated the averge is 25000-30000, All of Annerks friends earn 100k-200k...so where are the 40000 - 90000 earners? Where is the middle?
Oh, they're there in huge swaths throughout the area. The middle class and nicer areas FAR outweigh the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando