Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 PM

82 posts, read 193,098 times

Advertisements

When I do plan on moving to Orlando, hopefully sooner rather than later from NJ, I think I'm pretty much set on the Windermere/Horizon West area. There is a decent chance I will be working at Coleman federal prison which is about 40 min or so from there. If for some reason that falls through, what would be some good jobs/careers (not minimum wage) to look into in the area? Unfortunately I don't have a degree, though I'm a veteran so maybe even places that are vet-friendly. I know pretty much anything in the medical field is always in demand, my wife is a nurse so she'll be able to find work easily. I've looked briefly into some IT fields, specifically networking. Is the IT job market too saturated there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:48 PM

17,200 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab86 View Post
When I do plan on moving to Orlando, hopefully sooner rather than later from NJ, I think I'm pretty much set on the Windermere/Horizon West area. There is a decent chance I will be working at Coleman federal prison which is about 40 min or so from there. If for some reason that falls through, what would be some good jobs/careers (not minimum wage) to look into in the area? Unfortunately I don't have a degree, though I'm a veteran so maybe even places that are vet-friendly. I know pretty much anything in the medical field is always in demand, my wife is a nurse so she'll be able to find work easily. I've looked briefly into some IT fields, specifically networking. Is the IT job market too saturated there? Thanks!
With no degree you're not going to get far in IT.

Look into manufacturing... Specifically, CNC Programming. I have friends who work in that industry, and they make anything from $20-$30+/hr.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
With no degree you're not going to get far in IT.

Look into manufacturing... Specifically, CNC Programming. I have friends who work in that industry, and they make anything from $20-$30+/hr.
I know a degree never hurts but aren't the actuall certs in IT more valuable than the degree itself? Someone told me that a Cisco cert like a CCNA is basically equal to a Bachelor's degree. Either way, I'm not sure if I'd even go the IT route or not. I'll look into the CNC programming, thanks for the input

Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM

69 posts, read 54,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab86 View Post
I know a degree never hurts but aren't the actuall certs in IT more valuable than the degree itself? Someone told me that a Cisco cert like a CCNA is basically equal to a Bachelor's degree. Either way, I'm not sure if I'd even go the IT route or not. I'll look into the CNC programming, thanks for the input
Correct, not all IT positions carry higher education requirements & some that do could be waived in light of the appropriate certification(s) AND experience or demonstrated skillset. Without higher education requirements met, most would-be employers are going to want to pick your brain to make sure you didn't just brain-dump-pass a given cert & actually understand the nature of the work.

That said, if it comes down to you & another person, with all of the other possible considerations being equal (certifications, experience, interview, etc), the person with the degree probably wins. A CCNA does not equal a bachelor's degree. Not even a CCNP equals one. It's just an indicator that you may have a grasp of Cisco network engineering principles & concepts, & may be more valuable to a potential employer than a degree.

If you go that route, be prepared for competition.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:51 PM

154 posts, read 160,917 times
My friends went to UCF, majored in CS, IS, IT you name it.....

Orlando Job Offers? ... 35-50k a year. Actually one job in Downtown paid 28k AND you have to pay your own parking lol

Boston Job Offers? ... 80-150k a year WITH vacation pay, T Tickets, bonuses and an amazing office space. My cousin majored in IS and works at an online website there now making 100k in her third year. Her husband works in CS as well, making 130k at Cambridge Innovation. Theyre 27.

Metro DC Job Offers? ... 75-100k a year with AMAZING benefits and a very cool office space..

Point is. Dont go to Orlando if you want a good job. You live in NJ, which is a hell of a lot more sophisticated, intelligent and marketable than Orlando. Dont do it.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
My friends went to UCF, majored in CS, IS, IT you name it.....

Orlando Job Offers? ... 35-50k a year. Actually one job in Downtown paid 28k AND you have to pay your own parking lol

Boston Job Offers? ... 80-150k a year WITH vacation pay, T Tickets, bonuses and an amazing office space. My cousin majored in IS and works at an online website there now making 100k in her third year. Her husband works in CS as well, making 130k at Cambridge Innovation. Theyre 27.

Metro DC Job Offers? ... 75-100k a year with AMAZING benefits and a very cool office space..

Point is. Dont go to Orlando if you want a good job. You live in NJ, which is a hell of a lot more sophisticated, intelligent and marketable than Orlando. Dont do it.
On the other hand, I don't know ANYONE who graduated UCF/USF/UF with a degree in CS or IT who makes 30-35k in Orlando. Their first job offers were all consistently around 50-60k.

Your friends must just be really poor at marketing themselves.

I don't know of a single, full-time professional company here that doesn't offer vacation pay and bonuses. The fact that you're pointing out that a company is doing this as if it's something special speaks volumes on the validity of this post.

An entry level job at Veritas, for instance, in Orlando, starts off at around $70k.

Point is, don't listen to ignorant rambles like this. You live in NJ, which is a hell of a lot more run-down, all while being ridiculously more expensive, than Orlando. What makes NJ "more intelligent" than any other place? That doesn't even make any sense.

A quick glance around at job postings, and the lowest ENTRY-LEVEL "JUNIOR" job I could find in Orlando for CS/IT is $40-$50k, and it doesn't require a B.S. degree.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I don't know ANYONE who graduated UCF/USF/UF with a degree in CS or IT who makes 30-35k in Orlando. Their first job offers were all consistently around 50-60k.

I don't know of a single, full-time professional company here that doesn't offer vacation pay and bonuses. The fact that you're pointing out that a company is doing this as if it's something special speaks volumes on the validity of this post.

An entry level job at Veritas, for instance, in Orlando, starts off at around $70k.

Point is, don't listen to ignorant rambles like this. You live in NJ, which is a hell of a lot more run-down, all while being ridiculously more expensive, than Orlando. What makes NJ "more intelligent" than any other place? That doesn't even make any sense.

A quick glance around at job postings, and the lowest ENTRY-LEVEL "JUNIOR" job I could find in Orlando for CS/IT is $40-$50k, and it doesn't require a B.S. degree.
Um, excuse Mr. Arcenal, NJ is a lot more intelligent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j25IXqm1rI

My friend started at $50k straight out of UCF, quickly went to $55k, had full benefits including 401k, then got another job 1 or 2 years later starting around $70-75k plus full benefits. I agree that it's more difficult to find good paying jobs in Orlando vs cities like San Francisco, NYC, etc. I also agree that those kinds of cities have better work environments, more hip and open minded office structures. However, it's a different lifestyle. My friend here who makes $75k was able to buy a home. He got an offer in California for $110k, but he turned it down because there is no way he could buy a home on that income. Plus he likes the lifestyle in Orlando more, so it all depends on the person.

I will say not having a degree and wanting a good paying job will be extremely difficult here.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:42 AM

154 posts, read 160,917 times
Quote:

I mean, NJ is America's second most educated state... after Massachusetts.
Percent of NJ Towns with residents who hold a Bachelors or Higher:
1. Milburn: 85%
2. West Windsor: 84%
3. Princeton: 80%
4. Montgomery: 79%
5. Hoboken: 78%
6. Tenafly: 77%
7. Ridgewood: 76%
Others above 70%? Chattam, Glen Rock, Summit, Alpine, Westfield, Montclair, Edgewater, Livingston, Franklin Lakes, etc ...
The fact that 41% of Massachusetts residents, 38% of New Jerseyans, Marylanders, CT'ers, 34% of NYrks/Rhodeys hold Bachelors degrees compared to 25% of Floridians does in fact show its more intelligent in the Northeast, primarily NJ, where wages are 50%+ Higher He asked for my advice, I gave him my personal opinion based on many many many people who have gone through this. I dont want to see someone moving to a sprawly city with low wages and little advancement if the opportunities are better where they are.

On a second note, No... No.. I dont live in New Jersey. I never have lived in NJ and probably never will. Calling NJ run down is a bit much since it literally contains most of the richest suburbs in the country. Due to the fact it may have 4-6 really bad places (Camden, Newark/Elizabeth, Trenton, 1/2 of Jersey City, maybe Hackensack?) ... does not mean it is bad. Actually NJ contains some of the most desirable communities to live in due to its proximity to both Philadelphia, NYC and the beaches. A lot of people living in NJ work in those two big cities next to it.. giving it a hell of a lot of jobs literally right outside the state. I made a point why the OP should not advance with a job offer to Florida. Im not saying NJ is the best.. because its not.. but it sure the hell is a lotmore educated that whats happening down in Florida... Again, not saying NJ is as healthy as Boston, Seattle or Denver in terms of job growth and opportunities and wages... just giving a fare warning. To me, and what I have seen in the market now... NJ is much much healthier than FL for an IT job. You can easily live near a PATH stop or by the GWB and commute into NYC (The new Silicon Valley) with a high wage. You can live near Philly an work there. Live near Trenton, work there.. etc

Also when I said that about wages..
Report: Jobs in Florida cities have lowest pay in the nation - Florida Politics
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...620-story.html
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...418-story.html

Old 12-05-2018, 04:26 AM

^

Right, no denying that median wages in Florida stink. However, the main reason for that is the high concentration of people working the service sector industry, which OBVIOUSLY pays low regardless of which state one lives in. A hotel clerk isn't going to make high dollars in NYC, NJ, or FL. It's a **** job.

The average engineering/Computer Science wages here are in tune with the national average. Lower than NJ, DC, Mass, sure, but so is the COL, by quite a drastic amount.

Truth is, most people working in engineering and CS in Orlando live just as comfortably as folks elsewhere, all things considered.

From the article you posted:
Quote:
In Orlando, for example, the three occupations with the most jobs are “retail salespersons,” “food preparation workers” [which includes fast food], and “waiters and waitresses.” Those three combine to provide more than 120,000 jobs, representing more than 10 percent of Orlando’s jobs, according to the BLS survey. None of those occupations, in Orlando, has a median annualized pay of more than $20,430.

By contrast, the occupations with the most jobs in the San Jose market are “application software developers” and “systems software developers,” which combine for 70,000 jobs there, with each occupation having a median annual pay of more than $140,000. The third-most-common occupation in San Jose is “retail salespersons,” with a median pay of only $24,790
There lies the root cause of "low wages" in Orlando. People work **** jobs. Someone with a CS degree is VERY unlikely to work in retail, or as a restaurant waitress. On the same note, someone working in retail here is not going to San Jose and suddenly landing a job in software development.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 AM

[/quote]Point is, don't listen to ignorant rambles like this. You live in NJ, which is a hell of a lot more run-down, all while being ridiculously more expensive, than Orlando. What makes NJ "more intelligent" than any other place? That doesn't even make any sense.[/quote]

The only thing I could think of regarding "intelligence" would be higher quality schools, but how much that affects overall intelligence, who knows. I know NJ is full of idiots right now, starting with the governor, with cost of living going up and up and MUCH less return on investment, if you are a citizen at least.

The IT numbers mentioned are pretty accurate for up north but commuting to the city from NJ just isn't worth it IMO. IT is just one option. I'm wondering what kind of city jobs are available in Orlando, though those jobs usually are very political on a who you know basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando