Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguero4 View Post
Hello I will be in this area next weekend to look around..Please tell me what is the job market like in the fla area now, and also what areas in Oviedo a goodm area with kids..
We have 10% unemployment in the Orlando area. The job market sucks. It is NOT a good place to move unless you've got a job already lined up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM

229 posts, read 778,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistagirl View Post
Whats the difference between washington heights, johnson hill, and round lake estates
in oviedo,fl...i live in a new house on avenue b
and i dont know which neighbor hood i live in

Look up your house in the property appraiser website, it should tell you.

SCPA index.html

Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,854 times
Bueno is right, ghetto is a stretch. The only thing that has happened in Oviedo serious crime was a guy killed his girl and her new boyfriend. But that was 100% isolated. Lived on the east side for about 15 years now, and that is all i have heard about Oviedo as far as crime...and the chickens run wild there

Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpha_25 View Post
Bueno is right, ghetto is a stretch. The only thing that has happened in Oviedo serious crime was a guy killed his girl and her new boyfriend. But that was 100% isolated. Lived on the east side for about 15 years now, and that is all i have heard about Oviedo as far as crime...and the chickens run wild there
were talking about a section of Oviedo that looks ghetto. no one is saying that Oveido is a ghetto.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM

22 posts, read 91,986 times
i was told people used to stand on corners from avenue b to reed avenue and sell drugs...and if you drive threw you can sometimes still see that..but it has gone down due to police being in the area

Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM

there are even undesirable sections of alafaya woods in oviedo. Where drug deals go on, trashy people live, cars speed down the road with loud spanish music blasting etc

Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM

26 posts, read 94,213 times
cant compare Oviedo ghettos with real ones like Chicago south side or Bed-sty in NY

as for work -in Oviedo? its a cookie cutter community no real jobs to talk about only shop jobs
be prepared to drive !

Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBritGuy View Post
cant compare Oviedo ghettos with real ones like Chicago south side or Bed-sty in NY

as for work -in Oviedo? its a cookie cutter community no real jobs to talk about only shop jobs
be prepared to drive !
there are alot of high paying jobs just south of Oviedo, literally 5 mins down alafaya, near ucf. other than that. Oviedo is a commuter town of Orlando, obviously your gonna need to drive, you have to drive everywhere in FL

Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM

19 posts, read 69,169 times
I agree that it is definitely not a ghetto by any stretch of the imagination. It is a poorer working class neighborhood, there are a lot of black people who live there - but unless you are classifying a ghetto as one simply because the people are black - I wouldn't consider it one.

There are neighborhoods with poor whites in it and we call it a working class neighborhood. I would classify this neighborhood the same way only the people are black. I think that there is a neighborhood close to there that is primarily hispanic that is also working class. Mostly families and people who are just working and trying to survive. Not much crime when compared to Orlando.

I personally wouldn't live near the university again. I lived there for two years. Lots of crimes - break-ins, shootings, theft. We had to deal with peeping toms, an attempted break in, drugs, crime - and kids of all different races. I hated it and wouldn't live there again if you paid me.

Avalon isn't too far from the university and seems to be a lot nicer. Oviedo overall seems to be pretty nice and fairly quiet. I don't like being that far out so I don't live there now, but it has a small town feel.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
The only "projects' in Oviedo are located here.

This was, at one time, the "worst" area of Oviedo. I say worst based on drug activity and other crimes. Rarely, if ever, any murders or anything of that nature. It was, and still is to a point, a non-white part of town...and in fact, being white would bring some attention to you if you were back in this area. As you can see on the map, it's a dead end area and the only reason you'd go back there is to live or buy drugs. As I understand it, the area has been cleaned up considerably by the police.

The Avenue B part of town has been successfully transformed from an extremely poor part of town to a not-as-bad part of town. I wouldn't live there as a middle class white guy, but I wouldn't call it a ghetto, by no means. In fact, I'm sort of proud of that area (if I may toot my own horn for a second) as I was instrumental in doing the three Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) projects in there back around 2000-03 while I worked for the City of Oviedo. I worked with the neighborhood on what they needed, coordinated with the consultant on the design, and watched over the construction...then afterward, helped people find ways to pay for sewer connection fees and water conenctions. I saw this area go from homes that literally had no floor (dirt floors) to halfway decent homes. Sure, there are still some not-so-good ones in there, but it's a huge change from what it was. I guess Mr. Stallworth finally sold all of the lots he owned to a devloper who has since built some newer homes. The hurricanes of 2004 really did a number on a lot of the shacks that were still in there...ripping roofs off, blowing some of them over. It gave the City authority to go in and condemn a lot of them which helped change the neighborhood over even more. Some call it gentrification, I call it change for the better.

It's true that at one time there was obvious crime running rampant throughout that area. As a kid, I remember Parks Grocery (aka "The J-A-P") being the hotspot for activity...drug deals, drunken gangs hanging out all night long, etc. The police and code enforcement cracked down hard on this as Oviedo's residents changed (look downstream of this area and notice the neighborhoods that send hundreds of cars by here on a daily basis--Sanctuary, Twin rivers, Live Oak, etc)...complaint after complaint finally did some good. I remember regular drug raids being conducted there...you were the cool kid at school if you could come to class with the latest story about seeing a bust going down!

Just a quick piece of history...
The reason this area was and still sort of is a predominantly black part of town is because the railroad tracks that used to lie just west of this neighborhood were a literal dividing line between blacks and whites back long ago when Oviedo was a celery growing and other crop town. The blacks had to live "on the other side of the tracks." Those days came and went and the urban sprawl skipped right over them and moved on down CR419/Broadway, leaving this little pocket 'o black folks.

I had/have many black friends who grew up there and can attest to the fact that it was certainly a poor part of town and as close to a ghetto as Oviedo would ever see. Sure, nothing close to a bad part of Chicago, but bad enough to scare the once simple lifed Oviedo folks!

I see talk of Alafaya Woods as being grouped into a ghetto discussion. What you've got there is just a low to middle class income neighborhood that used to be an affordable part of Oviedo (compared to all fo the fancy new Twin Rivers, Sanctuary's, King's Bridge, etc). As such, it lagged behind the insane housing price boom of 2004-08...it still became severely overpriced (like everywhere else in Central FL), but it remained in grasp of lower income families...who, as we know today, were over-approved for loans they shouldn't have been. Consequently, you end up with what you have today...a large percentage of people who really shouldn't be in those homes (income-wise) and a staggering number of vacant or otherwise neglected homes too. Compared to the surrounding neighborhoods, Alafaya Woods is a little depressed and likely headed a little bit downhill for a while. I'd imagine that the HOA is nearly defunct since it probably can't collect all of its dues or even enforce violations. It's sad really. That neighborhood single-handedly helped boost OViedo from po-dunk cow town to thriving suburbia back in the 80's and 90's.

Anyway...just thought I'd give some insight where I could. Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando