Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,969 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even look at the FIAT if I were in the market for a new car for 2 simple reason:
1. It's a chrysler product, regardless of the fact that it's FIAT, its aligned with Chrysler.
2. It's made in the same Mexico plant that gave us the K-car, Neon, and PT Cruiser. Seems like a recipe for success.

If you're looking at the subcompact arena, look towards the Honda Fit, Kia Soul, or Ford Fiesta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I wouldn't even look at the FIAT if I were in the market for a new car for 2 simple reason:
1. It's a chrysler product, regardless of the fact that it's FIAT, its aligned with Chrysler.
2. It's made in the same Mexico plant that gave us the K-car, Neon, and PT Cruiser. Seems like a recipe for success.

If you're looking at the subcompact arena, look towards the Honda Fit, Kia Soul, or Ford Fiesta
Funny, I wouldn't group the 500 in there. I was thinking of it more like a direct competitor to the VW Bug and Mini Cooper. I would choose the Mini Cooper myself, engineered by BMW so you know it's a good car.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Yeah, because all of those cars were such dismal failures.

The car isn't an abject failure, it just isn't the success they thought it would be. A big part of that has to do with the fact that it simply costs too much for the market that it is basically designed for. The older demographics that can afford it are turned off by the fact it's a FIAT. People under 30 like it, but are turned off by the price compared to other options. People between those tend to have families and wouldn't consider it; too expensive for routine commuting, not practical for anything else.

The Mini Cooper has been a success because the car has a performance image that makes it an attractive choice for people and it has become somewhat of an aspirational car. Maybe once we see some of the high-po 500's things will look different, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
Funny, I wouldn't group the 500 in there. I was thinking of it more like a direct competitor to the VW Bug and Mini Cooper. I would choose the Mini Cooper myself, engineered by BMW so you know it's a good car.
Actually, the MINI is at the bottom of JD Powers quality/reliability ratings right now. My own Cooper (an '11 model) has been in to the dealer 3 times in 2400 miles for 3 different things. Luckily the dealer has been a pleasure to work with, but I'd put your last sentence as sarcastic more thn anything else (Great cars to drive, and I love them, but overall they tend to be less than stellar in the reliability department).

OTOH, my 2002 PT Cruiser never went in to the dealership in the 5 years and 70k miles I owned it (and I bought it new in '02). It was completely dead nuts reliable and versatile, and well built (as have most of them I've dealt with over the years).

Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM

From Jalopnik today:

"Bloomberg reported moments ago that Chrysler's head of the Fiat brand in North America, Laura Soave, is "leaving the company" and being replaced by Tim Kuniskis, a marketing executive. But why?

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors for a couple months now from sources knowledgeable of internal Chrysler politics that she was being investigated for a possible improper relationship with Michael D'Antonio, the CEO of former Fiat ad agency Impatto Custom Marketing.

Of course, it also might have to do with North America sales of the Fiat 500 through October hitting just 21,380, well short of Sergio Marchionne's forecast of 50,000 in sales for the year."

Was Fiat's Laura Soave fired because of an "improper relationship"?

And from MediaBistro a couple months back:

Quote:
We’ve received multiple tips over the last few days that Fiat USA has officially fired Impatto, the Southfield, MI-based shop that was handpicked last year by the automotive brand’s U.S. CEO Laura Soave to serve as its lead AOR. If our sources are spot-on, from the looks of it, the situation hasn’t been pretty over the last couple of weeks at Impatto.

One spy claims, “I was at Impatto on Monday and the entire warehouse has been emptied out. Chrysler took everything back, apparently this audit thing is pretty serious.†What they’re referring to is an apparent financial and accounting audit that the agency has been undergoing. When we called Impatto, we were referred to Universal McCann (?) and our inquiries to Chrysler about the alleged Fiat move are being passed around the company’s media relations camp as we speak.

But from what we’re hearing, the brand’s movie theater program currently in place has been shifted to George P. Johnson. More importantly, sources say that a new AOR has already been briefed and one of Fiat’s existing agency partners (Doner, 72andSunny) could be handed the full account. An announce is expected before the holiday weekend. We’re looking into some of the agency names that have been mentioned and will update if and when we hear from Chrysler.
We Hear: Did Fiat Part Ways with Impatto? - AgencySpy

One of the comments on that last article was even more interesting:

Quote:
There is no surprise here. Impatto only had the account because Michael D'Antonio had a relationship with Laura Soave. And it was not strictly a business relationship, wink, wink. Since early last year he has been feeding her his lame ideas (among other things) for ways to launch the new Fiat 500, or Cinquecento as he insisted on calling it. Finally a freelance team from NYC came in and were able to convince Ms. Soave to buy off on the "Life is best when driven" campaign, against Michael's will. Once the campaign was in production Michael did everything he could to sabotage it because he didn't understand it. He's not a marketing guy and he thinks branding means slapping a logo on a key chain or tee-shirt. He was way over his head. He was also a dictator of sorts and spent the everyday screaming and yelling at everyone in his office. No wonder one of his employees hanged himself in the warehouse a few years ago. He exhibited very bizarre behavior and an extremely unorthodox management style for a guy who professed to be creating the next Crispin & Porter. He got rid of anyone who disagreed with his ideas and the only people who were left were the ones he controlled, the ones who kissed his ass or the ones who were smart enough to see Impatto as a gravy train on a very short track, like that bonehead, fatboy, hip-hop wannabe Casey Ingle who sucked up to Michael every chance he got. Opps, sorry Casey, did you think no one noticed?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM

http://www.fiatusa.com/abarth/post_e...ures_specs.pdf

FIAT 500 Abarth -- Seduction - YouTube

Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Come on people.
Ok, if you think the car is overpriced, then fair enough.
If you think it's underpowered, then fair enough, but what did you expect from an eggbox ? Breaking land speed records ?

But "my phone won't work with it" ?
" I can't get the playlists to work"
Seriously ?
Sorry figuring out the car tech is very important to me. Maybe you don't care, but you know going to the dealer to figure out this new-fangled tech isn't practical. Most sales people are also clueless on the details on how it works.

As part of my test drives, I started to bring my phone and plug it in. If I can figure it out in 2 minutes, it sounds like it is a good feature. If not, then it is a bad sign.

Quote:
" I can't find the locks"
I don't think the 500 actually has locks on the outside, does it ?
Isn't it keyless entry ?
On the inside, you just push the handle to lock it. RTFM !!
You haven't been in one. There are no interior locks. The door handle is very weird, it doesn't have a button.

Quote:
If you don't like the ergonomics of the car, then maybe you should have considered spending your money elsewhere, on a car you actually liked, rather than buying it and then moaning !?
I rented it. I haven't spent any money on this. Did you not read the post. I am just sharing some feedback on my observations after about a week with the car.

Some of things may not be top of mind on your test drive. Like figuring out every button. Some of the buttons aren't labeled and are on the underside of the steering wheel. They feel like trim. I wouldn't choose a car where i felt the controls were unintuitive.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Actually, the MINI is at the bottom of JD Powers quality/reliability ratings right now. My own Cooper (an '11 model) has been in to the dealer 3 times in 2400 miles for 3 different things. Luckily the dealer has been a pleasure to work with, but I'd put your last sentence as sarcastic more thn anything else (Great cars to drive, and I love them, but overall they tend to be less than stellar in the reliability department).

OTOH, my 2002 PT Cruiser never went in to the dealership in the 5 years and 70k miles I owned it (and I bought it new in '02). It was completely dead nuts reliable and versatile, and well built (as have most of them I've dealt with over the years).

Unfortunately, you need to take the JD Power rankings, along with all other ranking sites, with a grain of salt. Each of these sites, while touting themselves as independent and unbiased, is taking money from someone. I find it very interesting that between all the ratings sites (Jd Power, edmunds, consumers) there can be car models that are panned by certain sites and given rave reviews by others. Each one of those sites is receiving prodding from certain brands.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
How do you guys feel about the power? I haven't test-driven one, but 101hp seems super slow. Plus, I live in Denver, and most cars here already feel less powerful because of the high altitude.
Way better than expected. I live in a hilly area, and there is one steep incline on the way home. About 20%. It does pretty well. The car is very light so the 101 doesn't have much to pull.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Way better than expected. I live in a hilly area, and there is one steep incline on the way home. About 20%. It does pretty well. The car is very light so the 101 doesn't have much to pull.
I am not interested in the same things as you are in a car. I am interested in performance and how easy can I fix it. You are saying that you liked the performance then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands