Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times

Advertisements

Wondering about how people feel this model will do reliability wise. My understanding is its being assembled by Mazda and shares quite a bit with the Miata but with a Fiat engine and trans.

Sharp looking car in my opinion but Fiat isn't doing well overall when it comes to reliability and some of Mazda's joint ventures with Ford weren't great either in that respect. On the other hand the Miata has proven itself decade after decade.

Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:07 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Italian design, Japanese powertrain. It's a Miata in an Italian suit. Whats not to love?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
I really like the turbo engine. A splendid roadster for $25k? Yes, please.

The Miata, a Japanese take on a British roadster... It is winning through and through.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
I'm not worried about the Fiat engine - it has proven reliable elsewhere. My biggest issue is that the Fiat is 100lbs heavier, and no more powerful (more torquey though), so unless you like the looks, its not a performance gain over the Mazda.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'm not worried about the Fiat engine - it has proven reliable elsewhere. My biggest issue is that the Fiat is 100lbs heavier, and no more powerful (more torquey though), so unless you like the looks, its not a performance gain over the Mazda.
But the turbo engine can make a lot more power than the Miata engine with just a tune. People are getting 250hp+ from the same engine in the 500 Abarths. The Fiat seems, from road tests and track tests, to be a bit more balanced than the Miata, has a bit more luggage space, and a bit more civility in driving due to the torque advantage. I can't wait to test drive one myself. I find the ND Miata to be ugly but the Fiat to be a stunner.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
But the turbo engine can make a lot more power than the Miata engine with just a tune. People are getting 250hp+ from the same engine in the 500 Abarths. The Fiat seems, from road tests and track tests, to be a bit more balanced than the Miata, has a bit more luggage space, and a bit more civility in driving due to the torque advantage. I can't wait to test drive one myself. I find the ND Miata to be ugly but the Fiat to be a stunner.
I think you might be more a car guy than I, but even with the extra power, doesn't that extra weight change the handling of the go-kart-esq Miata into something not as fun to toss around?

I've never driven a Miata, but thought about buying one for fun (I miss using a manual transmission), and all the things I read praised the lightweight nature of the car, so would that much extra weight on such a small and lightweight car change the charm of the car?

Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I think you might be more a car guy than I, but even with the extra power, doesn't that extra weight change the handling of the go-kart-esq Miata into something not as fun to toss around?
100-150 lbs extra is not going to be noticed. You might as well eat a few less pizzas to compensate.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
100-150 lbs extra is not going to be noticed. You might as well eat a few less pizzas to compensate.
150lb is a lot of pizza! I don't think you could actually fit that much pizza in a Fiat...

Old 06-24-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
This assumes that on top of a $25k-$30k car, you want to spend an additional $2k and lose the factory warranty. Yes, it can be done, but how many people are going to do that?

Meanwhile, $30k used Boxsters are all over the place...

Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
This assumes that on top of a $25k-$30k car, you want to spend an additional $2k and lose the factory warranty. Yes, it can be done, but how many people are going to do that?

Meanwhile, $30k used Boxsters are all over the place...

And used cars are always better "values" than new cars, but that doesn't mean new car buyers are cross shopping used cars, either.

A LOT of sports car buyers look to the aftermarket right out of the box. I know plenty, and it keeps the aftermarket in business. I know a number of people waiting on the 124 to do tunes to them to get them over 200 hp. And it's not $2k, a tune is only like $400 and it won't necessarily lose4 the factory warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands