Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:16 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times

Advertisements

I wasn't exactly sure what forum to put this in...but here it goes.

How did the people in your graduating high school class turn out? even if it hasn't been 10 years, how have they turned out so far? What happened to the popular jocks/cheerleaders, the nerdy kids, the drama/band/music kids, the stoner/skater kids etc?

I just think this will be a really interesting thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
The not-so-smart jocks tended to go into sales.
The not-so-smart cheerleaders tended to marry them.

The smart jocks went to college, and some went to grad school. A few became attorneys.
The smart cheerleaders became teachers or majored in marketing or communications, sometimes more demanding things (if they were also in student council).

The nerdy kids are doing well as engineers, programmers, actuaries, accountants or web designers.

The drama kids are still chasing that dream or are doing something "alternative," maybe even living off-the-grid. Many moved to "earthier" places.

The stoner kids were all over the map. About 1/3 are still stuck in that mold, another 1/3 have a job of some type, and another 1/3 joined the collegiate ranks and joined the "establishment."

If you were looking for stereotypes, you came to the right place.

Edits, to please the person below who types in "magenta:"

Context: Parochial high school, California urban center, had an admissions test to get in but not rigorous, upper middle-class to lower middle-class, mostly white, with Latinos, blacks, and Asian students to some degree and in that order of prevalence.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-24-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 PM

566 posts, read 958,476 times
I attended a top prep school in the NJ/PA/NY that has a 100% graduation and college attendance rate. Virtually everyone I went to school with either has a good job, or is currently in a graduate program (most are in MBA/JD/MD programs) and they're all scattered throughout the US; although the majority are still in the NJ/PA/NY area.

I can only think of one person who ended up being a total loser.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I only had a couple of friends in high school. Both dead.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I attended a top prep school in the NJ/PA/NY that has a 100% graduation and college attendance rate. Virtually everyone I went to school with either has a good job, or is currently in a graduate program (most are in MBA/JD/MD programs) and they're all scattered throughout the US; although the majority are still in the NJ/PA/NY area.

I can only think of one person who ended up being a total loser.
Regarding the bold, how did that happen? I guess the shake-out for my class wasn't that good for being a Catholic school, though the upper part of the class generally did ok.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I was raised pretty much white trash.

My life is a sorta cinderalla story, so to speak.

My friends didn't make it out..

I was lucky...

Some hard work and some good luck.

I think about this a lot.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
To get meaningful answers, it would help if people put their experiences in context . . .i.e., the social stratum of the high school (just in general) - and any pertinent local details .. . for instance, my family was upper middle class (but blue collar) - the high school was a mix of white and blue collar - probably mostly white collar . . .the families were mostly middle class, with some lower class and some upper-middle class.

The people turned out as you would expect . . .pretty middle class, overall - there were some OD's (it WAS the sixties, after all) - the stereotypes you are asking about are observations you would make when you are just out of school or like you said only out of school for ten years . . .but those don't hold up . . . such rash generalizations as "the smart cheerleaders are now 'x'" are ridiculously simplistic.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I'm getting very close to my 10 year reunion, but I do have quite a few on Facebook so I have a good idea of what happened to many of them.

Married with kids.
Divorced with kids.

A few lawyers, MANY ministers/priests/pastors, a few Psych Techs and that's about it.

We weren't exactly a motivated class.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
. . . such rash generalizations as "the smart cheerleaders are now 'x'" are ridiculously simplistic.
My specialty is stereotyping. Let's see if it's still open for me to put it into context.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Haven't kept in much contact except through Facebook and everyone seems to be doing extraordinarily well according to their status updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics