Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,920,003 times

Advertisements

Cloudy and 106 in the NV desert today. According to the forecast, we may even have a few showers and a thunderstorm .

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? Nope.

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? I have an Android tablet that could be used as an e-reader, but I don't have wireless internet, so can't download books at home.

How about for someone else? Perhaps I'd buy one of the cheaper ones as a gift for a grandchild.

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Can't remember this happening.

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Why yes I am!

Is anyone in your family left-handed? I'm the only one in a generation or two.

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? Just a couple of days when I was hospitalized.

Happy Monday everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM

11,415 posts, read 9,342,280 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was restful and fun, and that you are starting the week full of energy and enthusiasm.

And speaking of starting the week, thanks for stopping by the daily Question thread to start your week with:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle?

If so, what did you like about it?

What did you dislike about it?

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself?

How about for someone else?

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not?
No interest. None of my close friends has one.

Extra Credit Question:

Quote:
When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did?

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding?
Can't think of anything.

Bonus Question:

Quote:
It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw?

Is anyone in your family left-handed?
Only my nephew.

Just for Fun:

Quote:
What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath?

Why did you wait so long between ablutions?
I take one everyday, sometimes twice a day. I never miss.

The longest time between showers in my recent memory is about 36 hours.

Have a great week, everyone!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,297,541 times
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was restful and fun, and that you are starting the week full of energy and enthusiasm.

And speaking of starting the week, thanks for stopping by the daily Question thread to start your week with:

Today’s Question(s):

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? I like the feeling of an actual book in my hands.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Childhood?

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? No.

Is anyone in your family left-handed? Come to think of it, no.

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? Two days, I think.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? I was in boot camp; no choice.

Today in History:

1521 – Tenochtitlán (present-day Mexico City) falls to the forces of conquistador Hernán Cortés
1792 – King Louis XVI of France is arrested by the National Tribunal and is declared an enemy of the people
1868 – A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes severe damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand
1913 – First production of stainless steel by Harry Brearley
1918 – Opha Mae Johnson becomes the first woman to enlist in the United States Marine Corps
1942 – Maj. General Eugene Reybold authorizes construction of facilities that would house the “Development of Substitute Materials,” better known as the Manhattan Project
1961 – Construction begins on the Berlin Wall, splitting West Berlin off from East Berlin and surrounding East Germany
1964 – The last execution in the United Kingdom takes place, as Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans are hanged for murder
1969 – The Apollo 11 astronauts, the first to walk upon the moon’s surface, are released from a three-week quarantine and are feted with a ticker-tape parade in New York City and are awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Richard Nixon
2011 – The main stage at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis collapses during a severe storm, killing seven and injuring 45

Today’s Word:

Infundibuliform \ĭn fən dĭb yə lə fôrm\ adjective

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day
International Left-Handers Day
National Filet Mignon Day

Now I want trail mix and filet mignon! Have an awesome day!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,070,646 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? Nope

What did you dislike about it? I'm concerned about the E-readers being too hard on the eyes

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? Not unless I had no other options ... I prefer paperbacks

How about for someone else? Maybe

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? I'm concerned about the E-readers being too hard on the eyes and I prefer paperbacks

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? I don't recall ... I don't keep track of these things ...

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? Don't recall

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Right handed

Is anyone in your family left-handed? I don't think so

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? I shower/bathe everyday .... Don't recall going without showering/bathing for more than one day ...

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? N/A

Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM

44,415 posts, read 20,170,268 times
Today’s Question(s):

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? Probably will in the future, when I have more time to read.
How about for someone else? Nope.
If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? Not enough hours in a day for much recreational reading. Hopefully in another year or so things will slow down a bit.

Extra Credit Question:
When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Several months ago, at work, I was blamed for something I had nothing to do with.
Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? Nope. The accuser still thinks I did it. It was not worth pursuing any further.

Bonus Question:
It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Nope. I'm generally right-handed, though I do perform a few tasks left-handed.
Is anyone in your family left-handed? Nope.

Just for Fun:
What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? Probably a few days when I was a little kid.
Why did you wait so long between ablutions? Haha - I was probably just lazy.

Today’s Word:
Shaped like a funnel
I guess most tornadoes are infundibuliform. Cool word!

Today Is:
Blame Someone Else Day I won't ever do that if it's not justified.
Trail Mix Day Yum!
National Filet Mignon Day I love this! Yum!

Happy Monday, kis!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM

37,824 posts, read 41,149,828 times
Today’s Question(s):

No.

Yes. I've got books everywhere. Time to go for a space saver.

No.

Want a good one. Waiting for a model people don't complain about a lot. Concerned about a few things right now like privacy issues, breakability, highlighting by others on my books, etc..

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did?

It must not have been that big of a deal or happened a long time ago because I can't think of anything (credit or blame) right now.

Bonus Question:

Nope

Nope.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,697,469 times
Today’s Question(s):

NO

I have never bought a book or checked one out of a library why would I spend money to get an electronic device that I would not use?

Extra Credit Question:

Nothing in my recent memory.

Bonus Question:

I'm ambidextrous

NO

Just for Fun:

A week

I had a time, about 6 mos after Nancy died, that I did not want to do anything. I wandered through the house dirty and naked (getting dressed was too much work) like a hermit for about 2 mos. Thanks to good friends, a great pastor, a shrink and meds I'm OK now.

Today in History:

1521 – Tenochtitlán (present-day Mexico City) falls to the forces of conquistador Hernán Cortés
1792 – King Louis XVI of France is arrested by the National Tribunal and is declared an enemy of the people
1868 – A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes severe damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand
1913 – First production of stainless steel by Harry Brearley
1918 – Opha Mae Johnson becomes the first woman to enlist in the United States Marine Corps
1942 – Maj. General Eugene Reybold authorizes construction of facilities that would house the “Development of Substitute Materials,” better known as the Manhattan Project
1961 – Construction begins on the Berlin Wall, splitting West Berlin off from East Berlin and surrounding East Germany
1964 – The last execution in the United Kingdom takes place, as Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans are hanged for murder
1969 – The Apollo 11 astronauts, the first to walk upon the moon’s surface, are released from a three-week quarantine and are feted with a ticker-tape parade in New York City and are awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Richard Nixon
2011 – The main stage at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis collapses during a severe storm, killing seven and injuring 45

Today’s Word:

Shaped like a funnel
Dolly Parton?

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day
National Filet Mignon Day[/quote]

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,653,523 times
Today’s Question(s):

No never have

I don't think so

Yes if that's what they wanted

Not much of a reader

Extra Credit Question:

That used to happen a lot when I was younger, and no one believed me. Now, not so much.

not usually

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Yes I am

Is anyone in your family left-handed? My Grandmother was but that's it

Just for Fun:

About a week

Camping

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day...............
Trail Mix Day..................................love it!
International Left-Handers Day.......yay! a day for me!
National Filet Mignon Day...............mmmm yummy

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,070,280 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? No. I use my laptop to read e-books.

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? I can use my laptop, so can't see spending money on something I don't need.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Back in high school - my history teacher accused me of talking in class and it was the one time it actually wasn't me

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? Nope. He didn't want to hear it.

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Nope

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? maybe 4 or 5 days.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? I was camping out, though I would jump in the lake.

Today’s Word:

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
National Filet Mignon Day I wish. Would love a good filet.

Have a great day everyone.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,575,641 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? Only at an electronics store. I have never owned one.

If so, what did you like about it? Small size.

What did you dislike about it? Limited in capability. Compared to what modern tablets can do, at least.

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? No. Maybe in the future, though.

How about for someone else? If they really wanted one.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? 2 weeks ago at work. I work as a baggage handler and a coworker of mine took the wrong luggage and somehow blamed it on me behind my back. But, that is how it works around here.

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? Not really. Mistakes aren't often punished, so no harm done to me.

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Negative.

Is anyone in your family left-handed? Negative.

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? 4 days.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? Remote islands in the Philippines have less than adequate bathing facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics