Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,347,757 times

Advertisements

Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was restful and fun, and that you are starting the week full of energy and enthusiasm.

And speaking of starting the week, thanks for stopping by the daily Question thread to start your week with:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle?

If so, what did you like about it?

What did you dislike about it?

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself?

How about for someone else?

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did?

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding?

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw?

Is anyone in your family left-handed?

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath?

Why did you wait so long between ablutions?

Today in History:

1521 – Tenochtitlán (present-day Mexico City) falls to the forces of conquistador Hernán Cortés
1792 – King Louis XVI of France is arrested by the National Tribunal and is declared an enemy of the people
1868 – A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes severe damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand
1913 – First production of stainless steel by Harry Brearley
1918 – Opha Mae Johnson becomes the first woman to enlist in the United States Marine Corps
1942 – Maj. General Eugene Reybold authorizes construction of facilities that would house the “Development of Substitute Materials,” better known as the Manhattan Project
1961 – Construction begins on the Berlin Wall, splitting West Berlin off from East Berlin and surrounding East Germany
1964 – The last execution in the United Kingdom takes place, as Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans are hanged for murder
1969 – The Apollo 11 astronauts, the first to walk upon the moon’s surface, are released from a three-week quarantine and are feted with a ticker-tape parade in New York City and are awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Richard Nixon
2011 – The main stage at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis collapses during a severe storm, killing seven and injuring 45

Today’s Word:

Infundibuliform \ĭn fən dĭb yə lə fôrm\ adjective

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day
International Left-Handers Day
National Filet Mignon Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,494,200 times
Today’s Question(s):

No - not yet. I tend to be a late adopter of new technology!

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? One of these days I probably will.

How about for someone else? I have no idea how much they cost, so I can't say whether or not I'd buy one for someone else.

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? Like I said, I'm usually the last person to get 'into' new technology!

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Hmm, I can't think of anything.

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Nope

Is anyone in your family left-handed? Not in my immediate family.

Just for Fun:

Several days (four or five maybe).
I was sick in bed and on my own. It was all I could do to shove meds down my throat and eat now and again - showering was the last thing I cared about!

Thanks Bookworm!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,717,043 times
[quote=MidwesternBookWorm;25610278]Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was restful and fun, and that you are starting the week full of energy and enthusiasm.

And speaking of starting the week, thanks for stopping by the daily Question thread to start your week with:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? Not really

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? I don't think so

How about for someone else? Probably not

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? It's not a necessity.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? Yesterday

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? Sort of

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? Yes

Is anyone in your family left-handed? No, not in my immediate family.

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? A few days

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? I pulled my back out and couldn't move around.

Today in History:

1521 – Tenochtitlán (present-day Mexico City) falls to the forces of conquistador Hernán Cortés
1792 – King Louis XVI of France is arrested by the National Tribunal and is declared an enemy of the people
1868 – A massive earthquake near Arica, Peru causes an estimated 25,000 casualties, and the subsequent tsunami causes severe damage as far away as Hawaii and New Zealand
1918 – Opha Mae Johnson becomes the first woman to enlist in the United States Marine Corps
1942 – Maj. General Eugene Reybold authorizes construction of facilities that would house the “Development of Substitute Materials,” better known as the Manhattan Project
1961 – Construction begins on the Berlin Wall, splitting West Berlin off from East Berlin and surrounding East Germany
1964 – The last execution in the United Kingdom takes place, as Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans are hanged for murder
1969 – The Apollo 11 astronauts, the first to walk upon the moon’s surface, are released from a three-week quarantine and are feted with a ticker-tape parade in New York City and are awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Richard Nixon
2011 – The main stage at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis collapses during a severe storm, killing seven and injuring 45

Today’s Word:

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day

Have a good day everyone.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 8 days ago)

8,823 posts, read 21,310,182 times
Today's Question Monday, 13 August 2012

Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! I hope your weekend was restful and fun, and that you are starting the week full of energy and enthusiasm.

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? no

How about for someone else? Everyone I know who has one of these loves them.

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? It took me forever to use a computer or a microwave so this will take some time. I have to say that I enjoy the feel and ease of real books, though.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did?

I worked (for a very brief period) with another teacher in my Resource Room. She was pretty crazy and one day she ripped down the bulletin board & told the principal that I had done it. To top it off, she called NY State and told them that I had taken her materials. When they sent someone to investigate, the materials were in her own locked closet. She later ended up in a pysch ward. It was very disconcerting because I was the new person back then and I absolutely hate conflict of any kind. They sent her to the "retraining" program in another borough. I think she left teaching .

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? no

Is anyone in your family left-handed? no

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? I guess when I was in the hospital.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? see ^

Today in History:

1521 – Tenochtitlán (present-day Mexico City) falls to the forces of conquistador Hernán Cortés this was so sad, how the Spaniards tricked these people

Have a great week, everyone. August is nearly half over. Wasn't it just June 1st?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-13-2012 at 05:15 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 AM

36,455 posts, read 16,064,438 times
Today’s Question(s):

No

Doubt it.

I'd rather have an Ipad.

Extra Credit Question:

Can't remember.

Bonus Question:

Nope
Not that I know of.

Just for Fun:

Probably camping for a week, but still washing off in the lake and brushing teeth and stuff
^^^

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day

Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM

19,583 posts, read 9,587,000 times
Today’s Question(s):

Does playing with demo model count as "using" one Hubby's got an iPad that I use from time to time, other than that I'm either on my iPhone or outdated iPod or the home desk computer.

I can't remember which one of the two Nook or Kindle is the color version. I'd like that one.

What did you dislike about it? Nothing really, just not in the market for really wanting one now.

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? No, not anytime soon.

How about for someone else? Probably not.

If you haven’t ever used an e-reader, why not? I'm satisfied with what I have right now, it does the job.

Extra Credit Question:

Hmm, can't recall.

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? ~n/a, until I can remember~

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? I'm a repressed Southie. Started out doing stuff that way but was scolded when I was younger. Now, I sometimes reach out for my drinks using my left hand. Had been told that I write like a leftie, even though I use my right hand.

Is anyone in your family left-handed? I'm not sure. My Grandparents have passed on. I think one of my cousins might but can't remember which one.

Just for Fun:

Several days (four or five maybe).

In hospital and then home on recovery.

Hope everyone's Monday goes smoothly.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,939,260 times
Good morning to all! Another Monday... yay! Now off to work I go...

Today’s Question(s):

I never have. My DW and DS use them.

Nah... I don't read books like those on the e-readers. I prefer magazine, trade style books, and good old internet articles.

Extra Credit Question:

I've been thrown under the bus alot in my life. I was raised to be passive (but not a total doormat).

Usually. My reputation at work speaks for itself. The boss can usually read through the BS.

Bonus Question:

Not me.

Our DD is a leftie.

Just for Fun:

I guess a couple of days (when roughing it camping).

It really wasn't a choice.

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day

Have a great day everyone!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,569,334 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? I have an iPad

If so, what did you like about it? I like to read. No decent libraries around here. It's great for doctor office visits~ which we have a lot of.

What did you dislike about it? The price of a book. I pay $7.99, and up to $12.99 per book.

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? I bought this one, but would not buy an eReader, as this iPad serves that purpose.

How about for someone else? I am not rich.

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? I am ambidextrous. I taught myself.

Is anyone in your family left-handed? Yes.

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? At least 2 or 3 days.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? Sometimes camping, sometimes just enjoying my stink!

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day
Trail Mix Day

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,284,732 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever used one of those e-readers like the Nook or the Kindle? Not for any period of time.

If so, what did you like about it? I like that I could go and get books anytime.

What did you dislike about it? I didn't see anything I disliked.

Would you (or did you) buy one for yourself? I want one but just have not bought it yet. I may get one for my Bday!

How about for someone else? Most everyone I know that is a reader has one.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you got the credit or the blame for something that someone else did? I have an inlaw who does very little and usually takes the credit for work I've done ......does this count?

Were you able to set straight the misunderstanding? It's a lost cause......I don't even try anymore.

Bonus Question:

It’s International Left-Handers Day! Are you a southpaw? No

Is anyone in your family left-handed? Not on my side of the family.

Just for Fun:

What is the longest time you’ve ever gone without taking a shower or bath? 4-5 days when I was a teenager.

Why did you wait so long between ablutions? Ice storm......no power and no heat.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Shaped like a funnel

Today Is:

Blame Someone Else Day No way if I make a mistake I'll own it.
Trail Mix Day

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 AM

10,208 posts, read 11,192,217 times
Today’s Question(s):

Own a Kindle

I likes it, I likes it!!! Wi-Fi(I take it to work)Books, Apps, Etc.

What did you dislike about it? Nothing..

I done did...

Maybe, if you're good

Extra Credit Question:

I'm an Angel...

Bonus Question:

Nope, but I bat Left handed...

Yeah...

Just for Fun:

About 2.5 Days...

Hospital Stay!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics