Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,541 times

Advertisements

Now ya went and did it ! Here we go....

My Dad's Old Spice aftershave and peppermint on his breath,
Granny Rose baking cobblers,
My Mama's home made vegie/beef soup and fried hushpuppies;
Fish and shrimp being fried,
The scent of the sea,
Maxwell House Coffee plant and the aroma drifting on the breeze from downtown Jacksonville, Fl. early in the morning,
Mama's "Royal Secret" perfume,
My Dad's rose garden in the spring,
Old books on our shelves,
My Dad's shop out back, that had the most funky smell... tires, tung oil, wood shavings, kerosene, gasoline, leather, and that smell from welding things... It's something I hope never to forget because for me it was a sanctuary from my brother who loved to torture me when we were little. I was the only one of us kids who was allowed to be in there! Yep, Daddy's "BabyDoll". Spoiled rotten, but well loved.
The smell of Aunt Ethel's moonshine still,
The smell of chalk and little sweaty kids at the kindergarten I went to,
Summer rain at the lakehouse, pure bliss!
Lake Shore bakery,
K.C. Bar b que down the street,
Chris White's house always smelled of fresh cut apples,

Gee, again I could go on and on with this! But I just thught of something I want to ask y'all too. So look for the next Post !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
My mom was not a very good cook but once or twice a year she would make cinnamon rolls and I loved the smell of those rising and cooking.

My dad wore Old Spice.

In the summers we would travel hours to go to the ocean for the day. I loved it when I could begin smelling the ocean approaching.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
I know that cafeteria smell . . .to me it is some kind of ground meat gravy . . .

I recall:

Tapioca (vanilla and pineapple)
Cotton
My dad's cigars
Cherry coke
Lemon coke
Vanilla coke
Castor Oil (ugh)
Vic's Vapo-Rub
Camphor for the vaporizer (I was sick a lot as a kid)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Absorbine Junior
Worchestershire Sauce

Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Aah, the smells of the nearby stockyards and the meat rendering/slaughterhouse down the street. Yep as a kid for several years we lived next door to a stockyard. After a nice rainy day the odiferous air would play havoc with your sinuses. Oh those were the good ol' days, not...

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Walking past pubs when I was a child. There was always a beer smell. Don't get that smell anymore for some reason. Pubs always had frosted glass windows with wording in the glass. One would say 'saloon bar' and another would say 'public bar'. Through the frosting, I could see distorted figures, and hear laughing. Pubs were of great interest to children because we wasn't allowed inside!!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
In the remote, rural settings far from any of the small towns that dotted the Oklahoma area, I remember the sheds my grandpa had full of horse tack and work benches. In the olden days, the men had to be jack of all trades to survive. No one had money for repair men, especially poor NDNs.

I loved the smell of horses and the hay they ate. We would climb on top of the shed and throw rope at the horses. Thankfully, we never roped one. The chicken house was a wonderment of sight and sound and don't laugh, but I liked the smell of cows and their cow pies. It was pure country living for a boy.

Then when we moved to suburbia in southern california, there was a shoe store next to a coffee factory. I loved the smell of coffee from that factory. My mom and I would walk to the shoe store and I would get a pair of shoes. Most of the time, I wore hand-me-downs, but a new pair of shoes was a real treat.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
Jacks- the game that you would play on the floor.
Crayolas- I would play with them as they were Little persons.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Old women from the old school raised me and boy did they cook... our house was always filled with the smell of sweets or bread baking and freshly ground coffee... Oh how I long for those days sometimes

Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,541 times
Default Such wonderful "Smellmories" from everyone!

I still love opening a new box of crayons, (yes I still buy coloring books and crayons) That smell always meant hours of fun, and still does. I would color with my kids when they were little, and with my granddaughter now. But I still love to lay on the floor and color by myself.
Hey Redbird, we have cows in the pasture behind us and I love to hear them mooing when Mr.Roland comes out there in his truck and gives them the hay and oats. Sometimes when it's really hot, I can smell the molasses that's in that mix. But I'm not crazy about the smell after a hard summer rain, then the wind carries the smell to my house.... Whew! That'll make ya run inside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics