Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Seeing we have sounds of the past..why not smells of your youth or past..
I am not talking about Uncle Ben..

My dad made the best Northern Bean and Ham Hock & Onion casserole piping hot from the oven you could smell it for miles.
My mother would make the best mince meat pie with cinnamon. (No meat) This was a mix of raisins & dates figs dried fruit and spices you preheated in a double boiler and then baked in a pie shell.. the aroma of the spices and cinnamon........ I am drooling thinking about it !

The old nasty German Cigars all of my Uncles smoked, I really miss that stench.........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Default fish bait

Dad would take me fishing with him in the summer along the Platte River when I was a young boy. We would fish for catfish and bullheads along the riverbank with throw lines at night. This wasn’t so bad except putting the bait on the hooks. Wow,,,, this was a smelly problem! We used chicken guts that were soaked for several sunny days in a glass jar filled with chicken blood. PU you didn’t want to be downwind from that jar when it was opened.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,153,184 times
Not something I like to remember, but our elementary school had three huge plots of grass. Everyone had to walk and sit on it. I dislike the smell of grass, but that's what everyone reeked of. The next thing would be the flowers (I don't know what type we grew up with, but they look kind of like mini chrysanthemums), which had a strange sticky and sticky scent. They grew on one of the plots of grass.

Later on... it was clam chowder.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 AM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
I'm loving this thread and everyone's childhood memories!

Here are some of mine:
The pine-scented bathroom cleaner my mother used.
Bactine, the first aid antiseptic.
The warm, oily sweet scent from the motor of my mother's electric mixer when she was baking a cake.
That raspberry air freshener cake they used in gas station toilets.
The tart-sweet vinyl scent of a new doll.
The clean leather and polish aroma that new shoes had.
Cashmere Bouquet, Lux and Palmolive soaps
The scent of Clorets chlorophyll gum, which it seemed every lady of a certain age carried in her purse along with a lace hankie.
The burnt-sugar smell of cotton candy at the fair.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Came across this thread a few days back and have been trying to accumulate smells from childhood.

I wanted to thank all of the posters for jogging my memory!

My dads old firebird in the summer time it had a older car type smell.

One of my friends home from grade school I could be blindfolded and dropped off and remember the smell.(good smell)

The other week a local talk radio station said the air had that back to school smell and I can relate but its hard to describe.

Smell of a gym in school both hardwood and rubbery type courts

LOL I remember the first rock concert i went to and the smell of the wacky tobacco...

Thanks for the memories all.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
The smell of worms after it rained... What happened to all the worms? I don't smell them anymore..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
The smell of worms after it rained... What happened to all the worms? I don't smell them anymore..
They went fishing, not to be seen again...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Smells of your Childhood...... Sitting a row boat in the mild of a swamp 45 degrees age 5 with both my parents and a wet dog duck hunting.. Some unique smells of the swamp..the best smell was when my mother opened up the thermostat and poured out the hot cocoa. The dog wet & cold had more than a damp dog smell

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Default Wet Wool Cloths

As kids, during the wintertime we had warming clothing; most of it was made of wool. Oh goodness how those cloths stunk when wet with snow or rain. {{{{PU}}}} We had a coatroom in grade school and with all of those items hanging up while kids were in the classroom it was impossible to go in there without getting sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics