Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times

Advertisements

I'm catching up during my lunch break

Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Yes!
If so, what do you play most often: Online - City Data and Lumosity
Board games? Sometimes
Card games? Sometimes
Dice/domino games? Sometimes/Not in ages
Role-playing games? No
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.) No, don't think so.

What is your favorite? C-D games thread and games to improve memory and coordination in Lumosity. Have enjoyed some board games like Trivia Pursuit and Clue and Monopoly (though I hardly ever win but have fun trying).

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? If it's a good seat location for special occasions maybe. On public transit, it depends whether it's the last stop or how I'm feeling at the time. One of the trains has upper deck and single seats, which is nice because then
you can get up out of your seat at any time.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" several
Or have you never seen it?

Today in History:
2011 Snow on New Zealand's North and South Islands disrupts power supplies, causes road closures and closure of the Wellington International Airport
1994 Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal, captured in Khartoum, Sudan
1989 U.S. Venus probe Magellan launched from Space shuttle
1974 Longest team (6) trampoline bouncing marathon (1,248 hours (52 days))
1969 Woodstock Music and Art Fair opens in New York State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm)
1952 9" of rain fall creates a 20' wave in Lynmouth, England killing 34
1939 "Wizard of Oz" premieres at Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood
1870 Transcontinental Railway actually completed in Colorado
1748 United Lutheran Church of U.S. organized
1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton with 102 Pilgrims
1548 Mary queen of Scotland (6) arrives in France

Today’s Word:
ne plus ultra
Pronunciation: (NE ploos OOL-trah, NEE/NAY pluhs uhl-truh)
Meaning: noun: The ultimate or the perfect example of something.
Etymology: From Latin, literally, not further beyond. Earliest documented use: 1637.
Notes: It's said that the Pillars of Hercules at the entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar had this Latin phrase inscribed. It served as a warning to sailors not to go beyond the limit of the known world. The national motto of Spain, on the other hand, is "Plus ultra".
Usage: "The greatest car in the world, the automotive ne plus ultra."
Jonathan Carroll; The Ghost in Love; Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 2008.

Today is:
Best Friends Day
Chauvin Day
National Medical Dosimetrist Day Dosimetrist? Had to look that one up. Didn't realize it pertained to a specific medical specialty. [radiation]
National Relaxation Day Saturday and Sunday [or holidays or days that I take off from work]
Lemon Meringue Pie Day Not a big fancier of lemon meringue but if it's a graham cracker crust, I'll have plate in hand

Quote of the Day:
Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers. ~Dave Barry~

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
[quote=PatsCats;25644536]Mornin' all! Sorry I'm a little later than I like to be.

Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?....Yes, with the shorties.
If so, what do you play most often:....UNO.
Board games?.....Not yet.
Card games?....Kings in the corner with the kids. I used to be a good poker player and I went down to Florida to visit my friends new house. I was trying to teach her and her husband how to play. I never laughed so much in my life. Her son and nephews came down and we played into the wee hours. The shorties will keep me up until 3am playing UNO as well. I want to get UNO attack.
Dice/domino games?....Dominos once upon a time. Mahjong is fun and my friends from Florida taught me how to play.
Role-playing games?...Only behind closed and locked doors
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.)

What is your favorite?.....Behind closed doors. No just kidding. Probably UNO with the shorties. Sometimes John plays.

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go?....Change seats every time. We're taking Howie to the drive in tonight.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?".....To many to remember. We saw it on the big screen at a gorgeous old movie theater. We have it on DVD. OH those flying monkeys.

Today in History:
2011 Snow on New Zealand's North and South Islands disrupts power supplies, causes road closures and closure of the Wellington International Airport
1994 Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal, captured in Khartoum, Sudan
1989 U.S. Venus probe Magellan launched from Space shuttle
1974 Longest team (6) trampoline bouncing marathon (1,248 hours (52 days))
1969 Woodstock Music and Art Fair opens in New York State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm)
1952 9" of rain fall creates a 20' wave in Lynmouth, England killing 34
1939 "Wizard of Oz" premieres at Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood
1870 Transcontinental Railway actually completed in Colorado
1748 United Lutheran Church of U.S. organized
1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton with 102 Pilgrims
1548 Mary queen of Scotland (6) arrives in France

Today’s Word:
ne plus ultra
Pronunciation: (NE ploos OOL-trah, NEE/NAY pluhs uhl-truh)
Meaning: noun: The ultimate or the perfect example of something.
Etymology: From Latin, literally, not further beyond. Earliest documented use: 1637.
Notes: It's said that the Pillars of Hercules at the entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar had this Latin phrase inscribed. It served as a warning to sailors not to go beyond the limit of the known world. The national motto of Spain, on the other hand, is "Plus ultra".
Usage: "The greatest car in the world, the automotive ne plus ultra."
Jonathan Carroll; The Ghost in Love; Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 2008.

Today is:
Best Friends DayI'm going to see 2 of mine Friday
Chauvin Day
National Medical Dosimetrist Day
National Relaxation Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day

Quote of the Day:
Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers. ~Dave Barry~

Have a great day everyone! Thanks you too. I just finished my last 6 day stretch. I'm done being a workaholic, my sanity is more important. Pray for me everyone. Changing this behavior is going to be as hard as giving up sugar!!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Im not real big on board games but love some card games, like Apples to Apples and Uno.
Heres to lemon pie day:

Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?
Yes
If so, what do you play most often:
Board games?
Card games?
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.)

What is your favorite? I play Spades online most often but I also like Poker and Blackjack, as well as a few other card games.

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go?

It doesn't really matter that much to me, I just pick the best seat I can find.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" Several times, but it's been many years since I've seen it.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?
Board games?
Card games?
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?
Jigsaw puzzles and casual computer games such as hidden objects, word games, adventure, match-3, mahjongg, etc. But not time-management games. The whole point is to relax and those things make me sweat!

What is your favorite?

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go?
I try to sit in the same general area of a theater, plane, or train. At restaurants, I try to avoid screaming children.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?"
I've seen it, but I'm not sure how many times. I used to watch it every year as a child until I got to be about 10. Since then, I've seen bits and pieces of it, especially the part where the munchkin allegedly hangs himself, which was a hoax. Because I'm morbid like that.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,547,134 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Some...
If so, what do you play most often: I love Words with Friends on Facebook!
Board games? Scrabble
Card games? Canasta
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? I haven't been to the movies in years...although, I do usually sit in the same spot at church...and I will sit just about anyplace in a restaurant if it's away from the big booths in the corners, as they usually fill up with either noisy adults or families with kids...nothing against kids as I came from a large family, and I had 3 of my own...and I have 10 grandchildren...I just like a quieter atmosphere when I go out to eat!

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" Countless...

Today is:
Best Friends Day
Chauvin Day
National Medical Dosimetrist Day
National Relaxation Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day Now this I love!!

Have a great day everyone! And a great day to you also!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,423,051 times
I like board and card games but haven't played either in a long, long time! My favorite board game was Monopoly. Cards would be spades (I was a mean spades player in college) and rummy. Wait -- I've played spades on the computer but it's not quite the same thing. My mother and I played a lot of board games, often on Sunday night, when I was growing up. She really liked Parcheesi and Scrabble. Ah, the pre computer days!

I use different seats. I don't go to the movies often enough to have a favorite seat and when I use public transportation I just get whatever is available. (I use a free shuttle that both tourists and locals use downtown sometimes).

Sorry I didn't know about lemon meringue pie day.

I love Dave Barry's quote!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:05 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Yes, I am.
Board games? Yes
Card games? Yes
Dice/domino games? Yes, domino
Role-playing games?

What is your favorite? I like Mexican train with the dominos.

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? I try to sit in the same seat if I can. At the movies I always sit in an aisle seat and about 2/3 of the way away from the screen.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" Probably 7-10 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics