Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.?
McGyver learned most of his tricks from me. I started working on cars in 1957, I was 12. There were no computers or diagnostic machines you needed what ever tools you could gather and an analytic mind. To see if you have water in your oil pull dipstick out and put a drop of oil on a hot exhaust manifold. Any water in oil will boil. Pure oil won't. A piece of newspaper in a socket will make a nut fit in tight enough that it won't fall out. This is good for starting nuts in places you can't reach. A short piece of rubber fuel line can be pushed onto a spark plug so you can get it started in hard to reach places. I could write a book.

Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc?
I saw Godzilla on TMC the other night. Does that count?

Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)?
Lyle Coffee I have no reason why, it just sounds good.

Today in History:
2011 The Chairman of the National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdul Jalil announces Muammar Gaddafi's regime has collapsed
1989 1st complete ring around Neptune discovered
1984 Last Volkswagen Rabbit produced
1975 Assassination attempt on president Gerald Ford
1945 Vietnam conflict begins as Ho Chi Minh leads a successful coup
1926 Gold discovered in Johannesburg, South Africa
1864 International Red Cross forms
565 St. Columba reported seeing monster in Loch Ness

Today’s Word:
suss
Pronunciation (suhs)
Meaning: verb tr.: To inspect, investigate, or to figure out.
Etymology: By shortening of suspect, from Latin sub- (below) + specere (to look).

Today is:
Southern Hemisphere Hoodie Hoo Day
Be An Angel Day
Pecan Torte Day

Quote of the Day:
No wise man ever wished to be younger. ~ Jonathan Swift ~

Have a great day everyone!
And go get something to eat rainroosty!
And remember RR turkey is sold, both fresh and frozen 12 months a year. You have my permission to eat some in Aug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.? - Mac.. who?..

Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc? - I've only seen bigfoot one time.. when I put on very large shoes... but I met a guy named Sasquatch out in the woods one time, and he didn't have much to say, and I think I scared him.. - Actually no, I've only seen those creatures in pictures and videos.

Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)? - Well.. it won't be the name of the guy Jack.. you know who, in Joy's Didja Know thread yesterday.. - Now... are you talking about my screen name on City Data, or my first name? With the screen name, if I were to change it, it would proabaly be Magnum Doghouse Mike...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.?
Love Macgyver however I am lacking in his creative mechanical ability.
Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc?

No I have not but I would love to see any of the creatures and legends.
As a kid I tried to snare big foot at a campground..

I remember I laid out some rocks and a rope thinking the creature would come to the site.
Needless to say he or she never came.
Must have got caught up in the hoopla.

I had a pretty good imagination growing up.

Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)?

I will leave that up to others...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Just for Fun:

~ Yep! Some years ago I saw a sea monster right here in the Intracoastal Waterway. It reached up out of the water right before my eyes. I ran fast to go tell people what I had seen!

Nah.. I think you saw one of my relatives in Florida..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? A BIG one. What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.?
That guy was so cool wasn't he? I've done all sorts of "MacGyver" type things, especially when I was renovating that 100 year old building..........not that I cut any corners, just temporary fixes until things could be properly fixed. All of them against code of course, so I can't mention them here.

Just for Fun:
Haha I saw a big tree rustling in the woods and some limbs falling the other day, wondered if it could have been big foot or his brother, little foot.

Bonus Question:
Right now I would just settle for changing it back to my maiden name, don't know why I didn't change it when I got divorced 8 years ago. Although.....Princess Conseula Banana-hammock would be nice too.

Today is:
Southern Hemisphere Hoodie Hoo Day..........eh?
Be An Angel Day.............................................alway s
Pecan Torte Day.............................................rathe r have pecan pie

Quote of the Day:

Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.? I've used a pair of pliers to open a beer bottle or two.

Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc? Yes, I saw the infamous Magnum Mike driving down the freeway one day, scared the bajeebies outta me.

Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)? Fragnocius Lichensteen.

Happy "Hump Day", enjoy....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,767,137 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.? I fixed my purse handle with electrical tape this week. I'm pretty handy around the house and hate to throw anything away that can be fixed! Just call me cheap!

Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc? Haven't seen any legendary creatures but have seen some huge mosquitoes! also a very large alligator
Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)? I'm happy with the name I have.

Today in History:
2011 The Chairman of the National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdul Jalil announces Muammar Gaddafi's regime has collapsed

Today’s Word:
suss
Pronunciation (suhs)
Etymology: By shortening of suspect, from Latin sub- (below) + specere (to look).

Today is:
Be An Angel Day
Pecan Torte Day Yum

Quote of the Day:

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.? D. All of the above.

Just for Fun:
Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc? D. All of the above.

Bonus Question:
If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)? Rats!! So is Jackmeoff Mudd! (From DYK? thread). Guess I'll have to think about it ....

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
suss
Pronunciation (suhs)

Today is:
Be An Angel Day
Pecan Torte Day

Quote of the Day:

Here's to a fantastic day, everyone! It is gorgeous here!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,910,036 times
Cloudy, showery and 90 degrees in the NV desert today.

Today's Question(s):
How much of a MacGyver are you? What quirky quick-fix method have you used to get you through an emergency; scotch tape and a cotton ball for a band-aid, ladies nylon hosiery for a fan belt, etc.? I'm pretty handy but nothing clever comes to mind in the quick-fix category.

Fess up. Have you ever seen any legendary creatures; bigfoot, chupacabra, the loch ness monster, mothman, etc? Nope.

If you could change your name to anything you like, what would you be called (Sorry, Trout Fishing in America is already taken!)? I'd like to be called for dinner .

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,567 times
Today's Question(s):

Not much of one, but never underestimate the handiness of keeping crazy glue and a safety pin on you. I've had to use both out of nowhere before.

Just for Fun:

No but I have seen some strange creatures on the NYC subway on a regular basis!

Bonus Question:

I've grown to like my unusual name, however for a long time I wanted my name to be Christine Allison Meyers. No I don't know why I came up with that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics