Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,004,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Still looks to me to be a converted airplane nose cone. The opening for the door could be part of the front wheel housing where the front landing wheel drops down. The exhaust turbine on top would have been added on by the owner. Could be used for camping or a hunters hang out or ???
Where did the picture come from or where was it taken. The history of how the photo came about would help.
But, they're made of fiberglass. I took the photos earlier last year. They're within city limits and on former Military property. The RV park was within the area. There are an additional five I believe in a circle a bit further from the former RV area. Actually, very near to the old post WW!! airstrip. I thought of dog and or animal shelters. Maybe just for small storage but for what? With a silk like liner in them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 AM

44,685 posts, read 61,823,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
But, they're made of fiberglass. I took the photos earlier last year. They're within city limits and on former Military property. The RV park was within the area. There are an additional five I believe in a circle a bit further from the former RV area. Actually, very near to the old post WW!! airstrip. I thought of dog and or animal shelters. Maybe just for small storage but for what? With a silk like liner in them....
What's was the name of the military property and the airstrip. If they're located near an old air strip they could be salvaged nose cones. Nose cones have been made of fiberglass**. Someone could have taken one cone and using it as a mold and made several cones from it. Or they bought a bunch of them to convert into shelters.

**The nose of the aircraft contains antennas, and in order to avoid impairing transmission and reception of signals (including radar, as this is a common location for radar antennas), the nose of the aircraft must not be made of metallic materials. Usually it is made of fiberglass or composite. It also requires special paint which, in the past, only came in a limited number of colors.
Why are the noses of old commercial airplanes black? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
What's was the name of the military property and the airstrip. If they're located near an old air strip they could be salvaged nose cones. Nose cones have been made of fiberglass**. Someone could have taken one cone and using it as a mold and made several cones from it. Or they bought a bunch of them to convert into shelters.

**The nose of the aircraft contains antennas, and in order to avoid impairing transmission and reception of signals (including radar, as this is a common location for radar antennas), the nose of the aircraft must not be made of metallic materials. Usually it is made of fiberglass or composite. It also requires special paint which, in the past, only came in a limited number of colors.
Why are the noses of old commercial airplanes black? - Yahoo! Answers
Brooks AFB. Nothing has flown out of there since 61' or 62'. Home of the Aerospace Medicine. The turbines on top certainly look as though added. Did you see the fiberglass plaque on them? I think they were simply manufactured for whatever they were used as on site. Yeah, I'm sure some nose cones were fiberglass or composite as you say for technical reasons. Someone could have acquired many and converted for special use as you say. Still the plaque is a mystery.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 AM

Back in the late 50's and early 60's there was a space race and many different design projects and the Gemini project was one of them so they may have come from the air base's old parts salvage yard. Some of the older military airplanes 1958-68 have nose cones similar to your photo also.

You might see some from this boneyard web site.
PHOTOS: The Air Force Boneyard - Business Insider

Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 AM

I woulda liked a Boneyard tour while passing through Arizona. Man what a sight!

Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I woulda liked a Boneyard tour while passing through Arizona. Man what a sight!
Yep, it's a popular place. One day I'm going to take the guided tour through it. Been by it a 100 times and looked through the fences but haven't been inside yet.

Well it's after 3 AM and I gonna crash til later this morn. G'night Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Yep, it's a popular place. One day I'm going to take the guided tour through it. Been by it a 100 times and looked through the fences but haven't been inside yet.

Well it's after 3 AM and I gonna crash til later this morn. G'night Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Yep, would be a sight to see for sure. G'night!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM

12,654 posts, read 2,997,824 times
A dog kennel?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM

They actually came from left over props from Saturday Night Live...

coneheads - YouTube

Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM

30,694 posts, read 16,339,431 times
maybe these questions have been asked but I'm too lazy to read the previous 9 pages.

Is there a bottom/floor?

How big is the opening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics