Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,346,548 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all, and welcome to Sunday! It’s a chilly day, and it finally feels a little more like winter today, after a stretch of unseasonably warm temperatures that melted most of our snow. It has been hard to believe that it’s still only January, in fact.

But today feels like winter again, and I’m glad to have a sweater and a cup of hot chocolate beside me as I ask you all:

Today’s Question(s):

What color are your plates and bowls and cups?

Do you have one set of plates for everyday use and a different set for fancy meals?

Do you have any hand-made bowls or cups?

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs?

Do you have any team-logo shirts that you wear for big games?

If you are not a football fan, is there anything that you prefer to do while everyone else is glued to the TV set watching the game?

Bonus Question:

What is the ring tone on your cell phone?

Do you have different ring tones pre-set for different callers?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you ate pizza?

What was on that pizza?

Today in History:

1733 – James Oglethorpe and 130 colonists arrive in Charleston, South Carolina
1785 – In England, the first issue of the Daily Universal Register, later to become The Times, is published
1830 – The Great Fire of New Orleans, Louisiana begins
1842 – William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army, is the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers following a long retreat from Kabul
1898 – Émile Zola’s J’accuse exposes the Dreyfus Affair
1910 – The first public radio broadcast takes place, airing a live performance of Mascagni’s opera Cavalleria Rusticana from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City
1915 – An earthquake in Avezzano, Italy kills an estimated 29,800 people
1942 – The first use of an aircraft ejection seat occurs, by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter
1966 – Robert C. Weaver becomes the first African American Cabinet member, when he is appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
1968 – Johnny Cash performs life at Folsom State Prison
1990 – Douglas Wilder becomes the first elected African American governor, as he takes office in Richmond, Virginia
2012 – The passenger cruise ship Costa Concordia sinks off the coast of Italy, killing 32

Today’s Word:

Alembic \ə lĕm bĭk\ noun
1. An apparatus consisting of two vessels connected by a tube, formerly used for distilling liquids.
2. A device that purifies or alters by a process comparable to distillation.

Today Is:

Make Your Dreams Come True Day
Blame Somebody Else Day
International Skeptics Day
National Peach Melba Day
Public Radio Broadcasting Day
Rubber Duckie Day
Stephen Foster Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,938,543 times
Today’s Question(s):

Currently bone color and then of course a good mix of variety>
Do you have one set of plates for everyday use and a different set for fancy meals?
We are constantly changing out stuff.

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs?

If you are not a football fan, is there anything that you prefer to do while everyone else is glued to the TV set watching the game?
Anything else...( didn't used to be this way)

Bonus Question:

Ding a ling....
Nope....

Just for Fun:

Not long ago..
What was on that pizza?
I forget ...way too often though...

Today in History:

1733 – James Oglethorpe and 130 colonists arrive in Charleston, South Carolina
1785 – In England, the first issue of the Daily Universal Register, later to become The Times, is published
1830 – The Great Fire of New Orleans, Louisiana begins
1842 – William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army, is the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers following a long retreat from Kabul
1898 – Émile Zola’s J’accuse exposes the Dreyfus Affair
1910 – The first public radio broadcast takes place, airing a live performance of Mascagni’s opera Cavalleria Rusticana from the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City
1915 – An earthquake in Avezzano, Italy kills an estimated 29,800 people
1942 – The first use of an aircraft ejection seat occurs, by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter
1966 – Robert C. Weaver becomes the first African American Cabinet member, when he is appointed Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
1968 – Johnny Cash performs life at Folsom State Prison
1990 – Douglas Wilder becomes the first elected African American governor, as he takes office in Richmond, Virginia

Today’s Word:

Alembic \ə lĕm bĭk\ noun
1. An apparatus consisting of two vessels connected by a tube, formerly used for distilling liquids.
2. A device that purifies or alters by a process comparable to distillation.

Today Is:

Make Your Dreams Come True Day
Blame Somebody Else Day
National Peach Melba Day
Rubber Duckie Day
Stephen Foster Day

Thanks MBW!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-12-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,146,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, all, and welcome to Sunday! It’s a chilly day, and it finally feels a little more like winter today, after a stretch of unseasonably warm temperatures that melted most of our snow. It has been hard to believe that it’s still only January, in fact.

But today feels like winter again, and I’m glad to have a sweater and a cup of hot chocolate beside me as I ask you all:

Today’s Question(s):

I have Fiesta Ware, in six different colores!

Oh yes, paper plates for every day use! LoL!

Yes, I do! A few made by me, and a couple made by friends!

Extra Credit Question:

H-E-double hockey sticks NO!!!!

I used to, but now am fed-up with the $$$ they make, and the strikes they go on to make more $$$!

Of course! Today went on a "date" with the Hubby!

Bonus Question:ge

Digital ringtone!

No, don't have time to set that B.S.!

Just for Fun:

Not long enough. I am a weirdo. Pizza is not my fave thing to eat!

What was on that pizza?

Veggies, japs, and sausage.

Today Is:

Make Your Dreams Come True Day;ok;
Blame Somebody Else Day
National Peach Melba Day
Rubber Duckie Day
Stephen Foster Day

Thanks MWBW!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 01-12-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,461,719 times
Today’s Question(s):
White with blue markings.
Yes, we have a schmancier set.
Nope. You need to send us each one, MWBW.

Extra Credit Question:
According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season.
Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs?
Nope. Not paying much attention.
I had some Dallas Cowboys shirts when much younger, but not for games.
Watch something else or surf the net or read a book.

Bonus Question:
Just a plain cellphone ring.
Nope. Haven't got into that.

Just for Fun:
Lessee. I had a couple of slices of pepperoni for lunch on Thursday.
What was on that pizza?
pepperoni, cheese, sauce

Today Is:
Rubber Duckie Day
Rubber duckie, you're the one . . .

Last edited by bjh; 01-12-2013 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,014,913 times
Today’s Question(s):

My dishes are somewhere between off white and a very light brown. I have a wide assortment of cups. Some are part of the dish set. Others found their way into my home thru various means.

If you want a fancy plate for any meal I might serve, you will have to bring one from home.

None that I am aware of

Extra Credit Question:

I am not a football fan

Nope

Channel surf while everyone else is trying to watch the game. It drives them nuts.

Bonus Question:

Something that sounds like a telephone ringing.

Nope. 99.9% of all calls I get are work related.

Just for Fun:

I seem to recall having a pizza while on vacation last Oct.

What was on that pizza?
It was suppose to be the works. However some of the toppings were missing. Was quite possible the worst pizza I had delivered.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 01-12-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM

7,384 posts, read 5,499,296 times
Happy Sunday all!

Today’s Question(s):

What color are your plates and bowls and cups? white

Do you have one set of plates for everyday use and a different set for fancy meals? yes

no

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs? no

Do you have any team-logo shirts that you wear for big games? no

surf the net, read my book, watch other stuff on TV.

Bonus Question:

What is the ring tone on your cell phone? it's called old phone ring (or something like that)

no, just got my new phone and still trying to figure it out.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you ate pizza? last Sunday

What was on that pizza?
cheese and pepperoni

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 AM

38,970 posts, read 22,975,788 times
Today’s Question(s):

What color are your plates and bowls and cups? I have white plates and cups and a couple of red bowls.

Do you have one set of plates for everyday use and a different set for fancy meals? Yes, I have a fancier set of plates for special occasions.

Do you have any hand-made bowls or cups? No, but I'll go along with what BJH said and suggest you make each of us one, Midwestern Bookworm.

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs? No, especially since we don't have a professional football team here in the Los Angeles area anymore. Besides, I'm not really a football fan.

Do you have any team-logo shirts that you wear for big games? Nope!

If you are not a football fan, is there anything that you prefer to do while everyone else is glued to the TV set watching the game? Surf the 'Net, read or watch something else on TV.

Bonus Question:

What is the ring tone on your cell phone? It's called "Magenta."

Do you have different ring tones pre-set for different callers? No, because I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you ate pizza? Last week, I think.

What was on that pizza? Just cheese and pepperoni (from Little Caesar's).

Enjoy your Sunday!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,832 times
Today’s Question(s):

What color are your plates and bowls and cups? Plain white plates and bowls. My cups don't match - I have lots, but my favourites are blue.

Nope - we use the good stuff all the time.

I have a couple of hand-made coffee cups.

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs? Football? What's that?

Fortunately, no one who lives or visits here is glued to the TV watching the game, so I don't have the problem of finding something else to do.

Bonus Question:

What is the ring tone on your cell phone? Some tune - no idea what it's called!

Nope - only 3 or 4 people regularly call me on my cell phone and I can see who's calling on the display.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you ate pizza? Months and months ago.

What was on that pizza?
Probably seafood - shrimp, crab, salmon. Not keen on pizza unless it's loaded with seafood.

Thanks BookWorm.

Happy Sunday to all.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,047,425 times
Today’s Question(s):

What color are your plates and bowls and cups? I have a mishmash of colors but the actual set that I have is white with a rose floral pattern. Nothing fancy. I also have a few navy blue bowls. Cups, I have an odd assortment of mugs and glasses that I've collected throughout the years including a San Antonio glass that's shaped like a boot.

Do you have one set of plates for everyday use and a different set for fancy meals? Not really ... Although I do favor paper plates and plastic silverware as I hate to do dishes.

Not that I'm aware of ... All of my bowls and cups were either purchased or given to me. Your typical bachelorette collection

Extra Credit Question:

According to some of my family members, this is football playoff season. Are you cheering on any team in particular in this year’s playoffs? Football??? Isn't that the game where they shoot the ball through the hoop?

CD ... listen to music ... talking on the phone ... reading a good book .... napping

Bonus Question:

What is the ring tone on your cell phone? Right now, it's just a standard tone that came with my phone. I want to download the ringtone I had with my previous phone but got too lazy. It's the instrumental for the "Good Times" song by Chic. I've gotten lots of compliments on that tone.

Nope ... Don't feel the need for that.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you ate pizza? Last night, actually.

What was on that pizza? It was just a standard pepperoni and cheese pizza. This was at a casual party/dinner for someone's birthday.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 AM

61,919 posts, read 87,491,180 times

Today’s Question(s):

White, except for my x-large tea cup - it's white/blue

Not really, but for fancy meals I have additional soup bowls, cake plates, saucers etc.

Yes, I do. I have several pieces of hand-made/-painted Polish pottery

Extra Credit Question:

I am not really a football fan.

Nah, no logo shirts of any kinds.

I live alone...

Bonus Question:

Old fashioned (retro) ring-tone.

Just two - for my son and the rest of the world

Just for Fun:

Last September ...

What was on that pizza?

Home made pizza: Pizza sauce, Albacore canned tuna fish, thinly sliced red onions, shredded Swiss cheese... shush!!

Last edited by elnina; 01-13-2013 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics