Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,869 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, February 4th 2014. Pantry moths! Arrrgh! Roomie and I have spent much of today emptying out the pantry, scrubbing it, throwing out contaminated food, washing plastic containers… and all the other stuff you have to do to get rid of the little beggars. None of the stores nearby have any of the sticky things that catch the strays we might have missed, so we’re clearly not the only ones in town who are dealing with them at the moment.

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you had to deal with an infestation of any kind (ants, cockroaches, moths, mice, wasps… whatever)? What was the infestation and how did you deal with it?

Extra Credit Question:

Please feel free to share extra details…

Have you ever –

Boot-scooted (line dancing)?

Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)?

Flown over an ocean?

Prepared a meal that was so awful no-one would eat it?

Gone out somewhere with your T-shirt on inside-out or back-to-front?

Bonus Question:

How old is the oldest member of your family and how old is the youngest member (can be immediate or extended family)?

Just for fun:

Today is Stuffed Mushroom Day. What’s your favourite stuffing for mushrooms?

Thought for the Day:

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. (Betty Reese)

Today is:

African American Coaches Day
Liberace Day
National Create A Vacuum Day
National Stuffed Mushroom Day
Quacker Day
USO Day
World Cancer Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Default Today’s Questions – Tuesday, February 4th 2014
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, February 4th 2014. Pantry moths! Arrrgh! Roomie and I have spent much of today emptying out the pantry, scrubbing it, throwing out contaminated food, washing plastic containers… and all the other stuff you have to do to get rid of the little beggars. None of the stores nearby have any of the sticky things that catch the strays we might have missed, so we’re clearly not the only ones in town who are dealing with them at the moment.

Today’s Question:

When was the last time you had to deal with an infestation of any kind (ants, cockroaches, moths, mice, wasps… whatever)? What was the infestation and how did you deal with it?
Ant and flies last couple years. Sticky strips and at bait.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Sort of.. Cotton eyed Joe and the shottish (sp).
Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)?
Never!
Flown over an ocean?
Gulf of Mexico!
Perhaps!

Bonus Question:

How old is the oldest member of your family and how old is the youngest member (can be immediate or extended family)?
Immediate family my brother and brother in law.

Just for fun:

Thought for the Day:

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. (Betty Reese)

Today is:

Liberace Day
National Create A Vacuum Day
Quacker Day
USO Day
World Cancer Day
Thanks Kobber!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 AM

61,764 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, February 4th 2014. Pantry moths! Arrrgh! Roomie and I have spent much of today emptying out the pantry, scrubbing it, throwing out contaminated food, washing plastic containers… and all the other stuff you have to do to get rid of the little beggars. None of the stores nearby have any of the sticky things that catch the strays we might have missed, so we’re clearly not the only ones in town who are dealing with them at the moment. that sucks!! All the work AND all the waste!

Today’s Question:

I had a wood beetle in my wood kitchen cabinets. Nasty stuff because they are so little (<3mm)
Not sure why it is called "wood" beetle, because it was making holes in just about everything - from paper bags, wax paper, even those hard gravy mix pouches
That pulled the trigger on a dreaded kitchen remodel.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Yes, yes!! Very popular here in Texas! Fun to dance

Many times ( at work)

Flown over an ocean?
Many times, when visiting my homeland.

I don't remember to cook so awful - small disasters did happened, but I was able to salvage it.

Yep. Went to a dinner date wearing a blouse inside-out...
I didn't see the difference, and my partner was too gentleman to say anything, but when I glanced over my shoulder, I saw the seams and was mortified. It was bothering me till I discretely went to the bathroom and changed.
Later on we were laughing about that, because I am known to wear mismatched socks too... lol

Bonus Question:

No one from my family is alive anymore, except my son, and he is .... well... you know, much younger than me

Just for fun:

Love stuffed portobello mushrooms. They are so big that you can stuff them with just about anything. My favourite is: stuffed with goat cheese, artichoke, roasted tomato and spinach, or sausage stuffing, or crab stuffed and grilled.

Thought for the Day:

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. (Betty Reese) Hahahahaha.... !! I shared my bed with a mosquito many times. They, indeed are very effective!
And so are fleas!

Today is:

Liberace Day
National Create A Vacuum Day ...
Quacker Day
USO Day
World Cancer Day

Have a fun Tuesday, everyone!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-04-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Today’s Question:

A few years ago we had an invasion of Boxelder Beetles. A storm came along and uprooted the Boxelder tree - problem solved.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Not hardly

Why on earth would you want that info

Flown over an ocean?

Definitely

Not yet

Nah - I like the traditional look

Bonus Question:

6,563 years for oldest and not yet born for the youngest (you never said "living")

Just for fun:

Crab - and you have to get the whole crab in there
Poiple... poiple wine... Go to my head...

Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 AM

21,553 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Today’s Question:

When we first bought the house we live in, it hadn't been occupied for nearly three months and was infested with some type of brown bugs I haven't seen before -- not cockroaches, I know what those look like -- but about the same size. They were everywhere! We were able to get rid of them with bug spray before we moved in, and they never came back.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

No, I've visited Texas, but I wasn't there long enough to learn how to line dance. I did go to a watermelon seed spitting contest.

No, and I guess that's a good thing.
Flown over an ocean?
Yes, both the Atlantic and the Pacific.
The turkey was rancid at my first Christmas dinner as a newlywed, and we had to eat sandwiches instead. I learned the hard way that fresh poultry doesn't keep more than a few days in the fridge. The smell was awful!
No, but I've worn my stretchy exercise pants backwards. I realized something was wrong when I reached for the back pocket, but it was in the front.

Bonus Question:

The youngest is probably my cousin's granddaughter, who is less than a year old. The oldest is an aunt who is 90.

Just for fun:

Gosh, I don't know. There's usually a bunch of different chopped-up ingredients in stuffed mushrooms, so I'm never too sure exactly what I'm eating.

Thanks, Kobber!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
That does not sound too fun!

Today’s Question:

Hmm I think the last time was when I was a teenager and we would get flying ants in the porch every year. I don't think we ever actually dealt with them, just waited for them to go away

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Boot-scooted (line dancing)? Oh yes, when I was in year 7 in school they stopped girls doing football in P.E. and made us do line dancing instead. I hated it but apparently I was rather good at it.

Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)? Twice as a patient - once being transferred from one hospital to another as the first didn't have the department I needed, and once called out to my home cos I was having scary hallucinations

Flown over an ocean? Not an ocean, just seas

Prepared a meal that was so awful no-one would eat it? Not that I can remember but maybe if it was so awful I repressed the memory...

Gone out somewhere with your T-shirt on inside-out or back-to-front? A few times!

Bonus Question:

In immediate family the oldest is my dad and the youngest is my daughter, in extended family the youngest is my niece but dad is still the oldest

Just for fun:

Today is Stuffed Mushroom Day. What’s your favourite stuffing for mushrooms? I have no favourite stuffing for mushrooms, all I require is that someone else be eating them as I hate mushrooms, stuffed or otherwise

Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 AM

11,376 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Hello all,

Quote:

Today’s Question:

40 years ago my very first apartment I lived in had roaches. I didn't deal with it, I moved out.

Quote:

Have you ever –

Flown over an ocean?

Never to all of these.

Quote:
I have a younger brother that lives over 1K miles from me. That's it.

Quote:
Garlic, onion, and cheese for portabella pizzas.

Thanks, Kobber.
Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today’s Question:

When was the last time you had to deal with an infestation of any kind (ants, cockroaches, moths, mice, wasps… whatever)? What was the infestation and how did you deal with it? Ladybugs. They don't bother me, so I let them be. Then, while teaching summer school the kids dropped crumbs of snacks & in trooped the ants. We had a line of ants coming through the door. Kids were fascinated. I called for the custodian...

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Boot-scooted (line dancing)? My ex's sisters were into line dancing, so I tried it a couple times.

Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)? As a patient once.

Flown over an ocean? Not yet

Prepared a meal that was so awful no-one would eat it? I'm sure.

Gone out somewhere with your T-shirt on inside-out or back-to-front? Oh, several times. Once to a concert with family & friends. They thought it quite funny.

Bonus Question:

How old is the oldest member of your family and how old is the youngest member (can be immediate or extended family)? Two aunts in their 80s & the youngest is soon to be born. Still waiting for my daughter to have her second daughter. Emily is taking her time & her mama is exhausted, though still working.

Just for fun:

Today is Stuffed Mushroom Day. What’s your favourite stuffing for mushrooms? Anything mentioned by posters above, all sounds delish.

Thanks, Kobber! Happy day, all!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 AM

9,728 posts, read 14,273,043 times
Kobber;33318197]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, February 4th 2014.
Today’s Question:

Thanks, Kobber!
I just sent Dirt Grinder a note about this. 10 days ago, hubby and I had enough of boxelder bugs! So we took matters in our own hands and cut down a 75' foot tall boxelder tree at the corner of our front yard, sawed up the logs, and stacked them. Neighbors came and took the logs away for the fireplaces. In the beginning, it didn't seem like a monumental job, but after we got started....WHEW! Darn bugs were starting to creep in crevices & cracks of this old house and we were on a mission! Time will tell if the boxelder bugs are gone, but I'm seeing less and less of them. We're pretty proud that we managed to do this, had no disasters, and no aches and pains....We're 74-75 years old. Now, we're ready to tackle whatever BIGGER job comes along! Lots of times many of us don't know what we are capable of.

Extra Credit Question:
Have you ever –
Boot-scooted (line dancing)? Yes, we were going out and dancing every weekend, but weather has ruined that for us!
Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)? No
Flown over an ocean? Yes
Prepared a meal that was so awful no-one would eat it? No
Gone out somewhere with your T-shirt on inside-out or back-to-front? No

Bonus Question:

How old is the oldest member of your family and how old is the youngest member (can be immediate or extended family)? Immediate: husband, 75 to be 76 this Spring. Youngest is 16 year old grandson.

Just for fun:
Today is Stuffed Mushroom Day. What’s your favourite stuffing for mushrooms? Nope, not for me.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Today’s Question:

Every spring we get the teeny tiny black ants. We usually spray around the foundation and that takes care of them.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever –

Boot-scooted (line dancing)? Do they really call it that??? no...

Travelled in an ambulance (as driver, passenger, patient or accompanying a patient)? Once I was very ill and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

I got better.

Flown over an ocean? Twice - to England and back

Prepared a meal that was so awful no-one would eat it? Yep.

Gone out somewhere with your T-shirt on inside-out or back-to-front? Probably

Bonus Question:

How old is the oldest member of your family and how old is the youngest member (can be immediate or extended family)? Well my dad is 88. My grandmother lived to be 104! The youngest is my niece, she's 11.

Just for fun:

Today is Stuffed Mushroom Day. What’s your favourite stuffing for mushrooms? Don't like them stuffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics