Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

The good old days when kids could be just kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I remember when a downtown trip to Woolworths with my mom was one of the best things that could happen. As we walked into the store, seemingly from any entrance, you could smell bubblegum and candy. My mom would drop my brother and I in the toy section where the cheap Japanese made one-piece plastic toy cars and trucks lay in neat colorful bins most priced at five or ten cents. I always looked at the very expensive Daisy BB guns and thought, man who could afford those things? It's probably why I collect the darn things now.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 02-22-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The good old days: when I could eat a hot dog with everything and not suffer any consequences.
Or the Good Ol' Days when you didn't "worry" or "need to know" what was in that hotdog......

Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Exactly right.^^^

Decorum anyone?
The response from Lauren Duca and people like her: "Decorum? What the blank is that?!"

Our culture, our world, now celebrates foul, outlandish, brash speech and editorials. Oh, yeah, and lifestyles.

Anyway, I'm so old I remember this saying:

"This world is going to Hell in a hand basket!"

Indeed, most of it is.
My grandparents said that many years ago...................
My parents said that years ago .............
And now I hear my generation say that.....................
And my grandchildren hear it and will be saying it soon.............

I guess it's taking a long long time for the world to get there, unless {{{this itself}}} is hell.....

Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The good old days: when I could eat a hot dog with everything and not suffer any consequences.
Yep. I always wondered what my mom was talking about when she would say, "Ooh! Not for me. That gives me gas."

Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My grandparents said that many years ago...................
My parents said that years ago .............
And now I hear my generation say that.....................
And my grandchildren hear it and will be saying it soon.............

I guess it's taking a long long time for the world to get there, unless {{{this itself}}} is hell.....
It just hasn't reached its final destination yet, but it's darn close! That's all. There's Coming a Day; no doubt about it!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I remember when a downtown trip to Woolworths with my mom was one of the best things that could happen. As we walked into the store, seemingly from any entrance, you could smell bubblegum and candy. My mom would drop my brother and I in the toy section where the cheap Japanese made one-piece plastic toy cars and trucks lay in neat colorful bins most priced at five or ten cents. I always looked at the very expensive Daisy BB guns and thought, man who could afford those things? It's probably why I collect the darn things now.
Hey, all Woolworths also contained dining/food counters, right?

I seem to remember soda fountain type counters and spinning stools to match. Am I remembering that right, or confusing them with other department stores of yesteryear?

Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Hey, all Woolworths also contained dining/food counters, right?

I seem to remember soda fountain type counters and spinning stools to match. Am I remembering that right, or confusing them with other department stores of yesteryear?
I'm not sure all Woolworth's had the fountain/food counters but ours did. I wish I had read your reply a few minutes ago as I just got off the phone with my sister who I believe worked at our hometown Woolworth food counter as her first job. Somewhere around here I have a picture of her at that counter. She is 72 years old this month.

Our tiny unbranded drugstore here in west Texas has an area set up inside it (for tourists) with a real 1950s era fountain/food counter. It is surprising how small those seats and tables were.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:33 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
I'm so old I remember... The local Fire Men's Carnival... with the great food... hot dogs- sausage - cotton candy - pop and every thing a growing boy needs.. Like the Rat ( Fat Templeton ) in Charlottes Web and his song Glorious Food.. and after gorging your self.. go ride the flying swings -- tilt-a-whirl - or the zipper..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0l-eBK9KE

Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... The local Fire Men's Carnival... with the great food... hot dogs- sausage - cotton candy - pop and every thing a growing boy needs.. Like the Rat ( Fat Templeton ) in Charlottes Web and his song Glorious Food.. and after gorging your self.. go ride the flying swings -- tilt-a-whirl - or the zipper..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0l-eBK9KE
That was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics