Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,432,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Ah! Finally got here. I have a question that those who are old enough to remember may be able to answer. That is why I am posting it here and hope that is acceptable.

Back before the medical world started using slang, etc., to talk about our anatomy and its actions, what was the correct term for "gut"? Thank you.

And, thank you, PAhippo for directions - even if inadvertantly. <g>

Small intestine and large intestine.

"Guts" was more or less a slang-ish term for the whole thing.

I also remember when "pizza" was called "pizza pie". That was in the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 05:22 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,283,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post

Thank you. 1950s I was struggling to make a living and put myself through university. But things got better.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM

53,459 posts, read 35,143,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a small kido would see my mom catch flys bare handed and kill them.
As time went by I also learned her method.
Difference was I did not kill them...just would pull off one wing and watch them spin around in circles trying to Fly.
But heck, that was over 80 yrs ago.
what was your technique? i can sometimes catch one if i come from behind and grab the air about 3 inches above where it's sitting.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,997,841 times
She would spit on her fingertips that would catch it's wings based upon the air going thru the cupped hand.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,432,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what was your technique? i can sometimes catch one if i come from behind and grab the air about 3 inches above where it's sitting.

Years ago I had a device that smashed flies between two square "plates". It was a plastic "gun" and you pulled the trigger and it closed the two plastic "plates" rapidly like a Venus Fly Trap plant, smashing the fly. You pulled the trigger about 3 inches from behind the fly. Supposedly flies take off backwards and fly right into the trap but actually flies can maneuver in any direction as the situation demands.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,997,841 times
Not sure of a flys IQ but I have this light green plastic fly swatter I swear they must have a color advantage.
When I pick up the swatter from five ft away they take off and I have to wait for them to land again. This has happend quite a few times.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,283,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Not sure of a flys IQ but I have this light green plastic fly swatter I swear they must have a color advantage.
When I pick up the swatter from five ft away they take off and I have to wait for them to land again. This has happend quite a few times.

Suggestion: Try, if you can, to keep your weapon behind the fly. They see you coming from the front. I am guessing at that because it always seems to happen. I seem to get them much more often if I can zero in from behind them.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM

53,459 posts, read 35,143,365 times
Quote:
Years ago I had a device that smashed flies between two square "plates". It was a plastic "gun" and you pulled the trigger and it closed the two plastic "plates" rapidly like a Venus Fly Trap plant, smashing the fly. You pulled the trigger about 3 inches from behind the fly. Supposedly flies take off backwards and fly right into the trap but actually flies can maneuver in any direction as the situation demands.
i think I've seen those before, never tried them. a friend of mine has one of these - would like to have but can't justify spending 40 bucks on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EesfhOGt9Kk

Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,700,869 times
Quote:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore...

Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,985,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
(Thinking the other day) I remember in the fall of the year when the tomato plants didn’t produce I would pick the last of the green tomatoes for mom and we’d wrap them in newspaper for the winter. They’d last for months that way until needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Did you have a cool cellar for them? wish we could save bananas like that.
We always had them in the basement and it was cool but nothing special. We use to have a very cold cellar years before in the other farm house back then. However our basement was ok for keeping them fresh, I don't know if the newspaper had anything special to do with it. But it seemed to work for mom each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics