Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM

24,784 posts, read 28,669,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Right about the colored phones. Princess phones they were, if I remember rightly. When I was asked if I wanted black or a more colorful one - no extra charge for black - I asked if black still made calls. Yes. I'll take black.

But I knew a woman who decorated her entire house of various shades of green - all flat green tones and shades. That included green telephones. It really did look nice - cool and relaxing.
This was several years before " Princess Phone" Red was a Hot phone to have.. seeing the Presbo had one connected to the Kremlin .. Then Princess Phone came in with the " back lighted dial " .. and now could be plugged into a socket.. The old time black phone I had as a kid had the brown cotton cord.. and hard wired to the block at the base board. 1 ring " LOUD"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,707,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
This was several years before " Princess Phone" Red was a Hot phone to have.. seeing the Presbo had one connected to the Kremlin .. Then Princess Phone came in with the " back lighted dial " .. and now could be plugged into a socket.. The old time black phone I had as a kid had the brown cotton cord.. and hard wired to the block at the base board. 1 ring " LOUD"
My parents had a floor lamp in the living room with a frayed cotton cord. I remember crawling on the carpet as an infant and spotting a shiny part in that cord. I just had to pick it up and YIKES! I couldn't talk yet, but I know that I was thinking !%#*%#!&#!*!!!

Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
My parents had a floor lamp in the living room with a frayed cotton cord. I remember crawling on the carpet as an infant and spotting a shiny part in that cord. I just had to pick it up and YIKES! I couldn't talk yet, but I know that I was thinking !%#*%#!&#!*!!!
When I grew up electric outlets had only 2 slots.. no ground. And being a young Tinny.. lets see what happens when you stick mother's hair pin in one of those slots.. and father fumbling around trying to find a candle / flash light for the trip into the basement and screw in a new fuse.. years later I asked .. why so many pennies in the fuse box

Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 AM

33,066 posts, read 36,727,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
When I grew up electric outlets had only 2 slots.. no ground. And being a young Tinny.. lets see what happens when you stick mother's hair pin in one of those slots.. and father fumbling around trying to find a candle / flash light for the trip into the basement and screw in a new fuse.. years later I asked .. why so many pennies in the fuse box
I went right for the empty light bulb socket.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,155,656 times
One of my fellow college students stuck one dissecting needle in the hot socket and the other dissecting needle in the neutral, and then crossed them. It blew the breaker. The wood handles tend to get greasy with animal fat. She could easily have gotten shocked. I started to wonder about my fellow students. They may have worked harder and gotten better grades, but there was more to the picture than academic performance.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,947,959 times
I'm so old I remember when pennies were gray in color.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,256,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm so old I remember when pennies were gray in color.
1943 was before my time but I collected pennies growing up

Old 09-24-2018, 03:27 PM

I'm so old I remember...When real pennies turned green...

Old 09-24-2018, 05:16 PM

85 posts, read 78,386 times
I remember the 2 longs and a short for the ring just for grandma's crank wall phone to know she should pick it up ( and have have everybody else listen in ) .

Once a month we went to the school and got the best government free food. I'm talking real blocks of cheese, butter and loads of canned goods.

I also remember the prevention for Polio. It looked like a sugar cube.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,034,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyroad1 View Post
I remember the 2 longs and a short for the ring just for grandma's crank wall phone to know she should pick it up ( and have have everybody else listen in ) .
2 longs and a short was our phone number where we first lived at in Alaska. The phone system only worked in the housing and work areas at the airport. If we wanted to call anywhere else we had to find a real phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics