Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 PM

5,919 posts, read 3,830,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I remember bringing my .22 to school for rifle training/target practice after class. We kept our rifles in the cloak closet.
How long ago was this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 PM

5,919 posts, read 3,830,940 times
Remember platform fish shoes from the early 70's? Probably just a pimp thing but lol it's a real thing and it's back in style apparently!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM

15,031 posts, read 9,936,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
How long ago was this?
If You lived in a rural area in the 50's and 60's. The cool kids had 20 ga. shot guns. On the way home... Mom would like fresh rabbit or a few squirrels.

Arkansas and Tennessee... life was much simpler then.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:21 AM

24,628 posts, read 26,189,993 times
Incinerators for household trash before they were banned.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM

25,771 posts, read 17,526,317 times
I remember when Jingles used to call, "Wait fer me, Bill!"

Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 AM

464 posts, read 290,592 times
I remember when "music" wasn't just rhythm, it actually had discernible melody and harmony too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pvOnv4-OQ

I could have picked from a million examples, but I just revisited an extensive Moodie's doc, fresh on my mind.

Good vid that, ^ check it out if you haven't seen it, live from a Paris tavern.

Thx

Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM

I'm going to follow-up with another beautiful piece of actual music with all it's components.

Frank Sinatra once said that George Harrison's "Something" was the greatest love song ever written, and that's a great song, but I place this one just a bit above it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0YcO5P3OM

Wow, just WOW!

See, the difference is you could hum or whistle that Stevie piece or George's "Something," try and hum or whistle some of this modern "music" to a friend and see if they can identify it, they can't, because there is no discernible "tune" to it.

That's something I miss from the old days, genuine "artistry"!

Just one more reason why life was so rich back then and so p-poor now.

I feel sorry for kids these days, they got all the technology in the world and it boils down to nothin'.

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-21-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Bonus post:

Oh, and here is the Moodie's doc I was talking about folks, 2 and a half hours, chock full of info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP3sYEUAm0

Their band was once "MB," the initials of a brand of beer with a chain of pubs, they thought that would bring favor, then they had to think of a name with the initials "MB" after the initial plan washed up.

*sigh* they sure don't make bands like that anymore, but at least we still have much of it on record etc to enjoy!

Thx

Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,665,720 times
I am so old I remember when
- the Brady Bunch was prime time in very early childhood. I watched it as a toddler with my uncles.
- the pilot episode for Happy Days appeared
- black and white TVs were still common
- Beatles music was usually synonymous with the light-green, apple-covered label of the vinyl record
- the Elvis special was in Hawaii
- actual vocal talent was required for music contracts before the era of Auto-Tune computerized software (e.g. Karen Carpenter, Joni Mitchell, Freddie Mercury, etc)
- drive-ins were common
- Frampton came alive
- Disneyland still had the overhead cable cars
- Christopher Lee was the villain on a James Bond movie - not Star Wars or LOTR
- divorce rates were actually kind of low
- LGBTQ was rare (or very hidden)
- young people actually went to Church in large numbers
- children actually went outdoors for daylong activities rather than play video games or use mobile apps
- land lines were still common
- Vietnam Veterans were still in their 20s
- pong was considered a state-of-the-art video game
- Wonder Woman was a prime time show - not a film
- Ali fights were scheduled in TV guide before the era of cable
- disco was actually popular
- rock-n-roll/heavy metal were actually popular
- Blade Runner came out in 1982 and the scenes set in the future of "2019" were decades away in time
- dating rejection was usually done in person - lol (not ghosted or texted)
- the Dean Martin show was hilarious
- 60s re-runs were common and still considered "new" on syndicated TV: Monkees, I Dream of Jeannie, the Beverly Hillbillies, My Three Sons, etc.
- Sports shows were usually confined to weekends like "ABC Wide World of Sports"
- the typewriter was common in high schools and colleges
- HS football teams often had to limit large-scale interest with potential to have over 100 guys on a team. Nowadays, the CTE scare has forced some schools to play 8-man football or end the sport.
- Native American children in rural AZ still learned the indigenous languages first before English. Now the languages are becoming extinct as English has become the dominant language on rural reservations for younger generations. Only the older family members like me can still speak the indigenous language.
- Sears was still in its prime
- Smitty's in Phoenix was still in its prime
- Fiesta Mall was brand new and had just opened in Phoenix - now it is closed
- Amazon did not exist
- The internet as we know it did not exist
- WWII veterans were still somewhat young in early to late middle-age - not yet elderly. Sadly, that generation has passed in my family.
- Westworld was known as the recently released, futuristic science fiction film with Yul Brynner in a film that had the first computer virus.
- Star Wars had not yet come out.
- King Kong films had no CGI
- Shannen Doherty was actually known for being one of the cast children - a small girl in "Little House on the Prarie".
- a great comedic classic was instantly made when Ron Howard hosted Saturday Night Live with Eddie Murphy as the primary supporting cast member - Sylvester Sibbins and the Professor of Speech Therapy

The list goes on but that is enough... Here is a 70s flashback with the Brady Bunch shopping at Sears. They are making a comeback with an HGTV special soon - now they are elderly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rKeqPEGMvM

Old 06-22-2019, 10:51 AM

24,628 posts, read 26,189,993 times
^^ And the Brady Bunch house sold for $3.5 million.

The home's exterior appeared in nearly every single episode of The Brady Bunch. The famous home has sold to make-over powerhouse HGTV —which plans to " restore it to its 1970s glory ." The deal closed Friday, with the network shelling out top dollar for the Studio City residence. Property records show HGTV paid $3.5 million for the home—nearly double its $1.89 million asking price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics