Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 08:04 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,101 posts, read 30,421,372 times

Advertisements

Here we are with another month gone by and a new one on the way. Let's celebrate with . . .

Today's Question(s):
Which day do you consider to be the first day of the week?

Do you have a specific day of the week when you take it easier, even if you're retired?

Have you ever smoked a cigar, a pipe, or cigarettes, and if so, was it a habit, a one time thing, and do you have any stories or anecdotes to tell about smoking?

Foodie Question(s):
Have you bought any Halloween candy recently or is there any candy you look forward to this time of year?

Describe what you'd like to order at the QotD soda fountain: an ice cream shake, a malt or an ice cream soda or a float or anything else?

Just To:
This question was formed before Wednesday's bookish questions. Really! It was. If you buy a paper book, as opposed to an e-book, are you more likely to buy it online or in a brick and mortar store?

Wishing everyone a good September!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 08:19 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,557,742 times
Today's Question(s):
Which day do you consider to be the first day of the week? Monday

Do you have a specific day of the week when you take it easier, even if you're retired? Sunday

Have you ever smoked a cigar, a pipe, or cigarettes, and if so, was it a habit, a one time thing, and do you have any stories or anecdotes to tell about smoking? I used to smoke a pipe but it's too much trouble trying to get it to stay lit, plus packing the tobacco in it just right. I smoke cigars now but mainly just when I'm fishing. Funny story about smoking my pipe. When my ex and I were married, I was looking for my pipe and tobacco before going to work one morning. She handed it all to me, pipe already full and ready to light. She said she was just wondering if she did it right and to let her know how she did after I lit it. To add a little something to the story, a candy shop near us had gag gifts for sale, including cigarette loads, that pop when the fire gets to it, but nothing like the ones in the cartoons. But I found out that morning that she could fit THREE cigarette loads in my pipe full of tobacco! POP! POP! POP! and pipe tobacco all over me and the floor! lol

Foodie Question(s):
Have you bought any Halloween candy recently or is there any candy you look forward to this time of year? I won't buy any till a couple days before Halloween

Describe what you'd like to order at the QotD soda fountain: an ice cream shake, a malt or an ice cream soda or a float or anything else? I'd like a good root beer float with REAL scoop ice cream, not the soft serve junk! But a banana split sure sounds good too! We have an ice cream shop that just opened a couple months ago. They make all their own ice cream!

Just To:
This question was formed before Wednesday's bookish questions. Really! It was. If you buy a paper book, as opposed to an e-book, are you more likely to buy it online or in a brick and mortar store? Probably online. We're about 35 miles from the closest book store.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Today's Question(s):
Which day do you consider to be the first day of the week? My pill box and my calendar say it's Sunday but I feel like it's Monday.

Do you have a specific day of the week when you take it easier, even if you're retired? No

Have you ever smoked a cigar, a pipe, or cigarettes, and if so, was it a habit, a one time thing, and do you have any stories or anecdotes to tell about smoking? I've blown bubbles from a pipe and I've chewed bubble gum cigarettes and eaten chocolate cigarettes but never smoked anything, not even meat.

Foodie Question(s):

Have you bought any Halloween candy recently or is there any candy you look forward to this time of year? No and no.

Describe what you'd like to order at the QotD soda fountain: an ice cream shake, a malt or an ice cream soda or a float or anything else? I'll have a large banana shake.

Just To:

This question was formed before Wednesday's bookish questions. Really! It was. If you buy a paper book, as opposed to an e-book, are you more likely to buy it online or in a brick and mortar store? All online.

Wishing everyone a good September! Woo-hoo! September, the hawks arrive and the leaves turn chartreuese.

Old 08-31-2022, 08:49 PM

38,916 posts, read 22,923,152 times
Today's Question(s):
Sunday

Do you have a specific day of the week when you take it easier, even if you're retired?
Since I'm still working full-time Monday to Friday, I would have to say Sunday afternoon and evening.

Have you ever smoked a cigar, a pipe, or cigarettes, and if so, was it a habit, a one time thing, and do you have any stories or anecdotes to tell about smoking?
One-time experience with a cigarette, under parental supervision. Never again.

Foodie Question(s):
Have you bought any Halloween candy recently or is there any candy you look forward to this time of year?
No / not really

Describe what you'd like to order at the QotD soda fountain: an ice cream shake, a malt or an ice cream soda or a float or anything else?
Brownie sundae, which I haven't had in probably 10 years or more.

Just To:
This question was formed before Wednesday's bookish questions. Really! It was. If you buy a paper book, as opposed to an e-book, are you more likely to buy it online or in a brick and mortar store?
First I'd try a brick-and-mortar store. If I can't find it there, then I'd go online.

Happy September 1st!

Old 08-31-2022, 08:52 PM

21,555 posts, read 8,736,124 times
Today's Question(s):
Monday, although my wall calendar would beg to differ.
Yes, I like to chill out on Saturday.
I was once a cigarette smoker. Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done. It took me nine tries. Cold turkey didn't work for me at all. It was too traumatic. Instead, I followed a program that teaches you, one day at a time, how to smoke less and less. By the end of the program I was ready to give it up completely, but I still missed it a little. So I kept a pack on hand and would allow myself one cigarette once a month. After about three months of this, cigarettes tasted so nasty and made me feel so dizzy and nauseous that I didn't want to smoke again, ever. And I haven't.
Foodie Question(s):
No, but I've seen it in the stores already. I've always liked Smarties, Kraft caramels, Jolly Ranchers, hot cinnamon candy or fun size Snickers.
I'll have a black and tan sundae as served at Fenton's Creamery in Oakland, California. That's toasted almond and vanilla ice cream drizzled with hot fudge and caramel sauce. You can leave off the whipped cream and cherry, though.
Just To:
I like real bookstores, although I sometimes buy books on line for Mr. Bay because he needs large print, which is hard to find in brick-and-mortar stores.

Thanks, bjh!

Old 08-31-2022, 08:59 PM

44,641 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Today's Question(s):
Which day do you consider to be the first day of the week? Monday.

Do you have a specific day of the week when you take it easier, even if you're retired? Sunday.

Have you ever smoked a cigar, a pipe, or cigarettes, and if so, was it a habit, a one-time thing, and do you have any stories or anecdotes to tell about smoking? When I was very very young, trying to be the cool one with friends, I tried a cigarette, a cigar, and a pipe at 3 different times and found them to be nauseating with the throat and lungs on fire. Cough cough cough, hack hack hack. That was the end of that experiment.

Have you bought any Halloween candy recently or is there any candy you look forward to this time of year? No candy here, this is a retirement community and there are no Halloweeners around here.

Describe what you'd like to order at the QotD soda fountain: an ice cream shake, a malt or an ice cream soda or a float or anything else? Banana split please.

Just To:
This question was formed before Wednesday's bookish questions. Really! It was. If you buy a paper book, as opposed to an e-book, are you more likely to buy it online or in a brick-and-mortar store? Haven't bought or read a book in years so I wouldn't order any anywhere.

Wishing everyone a good September! U-2 bud.
Rate this post positively

Last edited by wit-nit; 08-31-2022 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-31-2022, 09:26 PM

899 posts, read 673,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Here we are with another month gone by and a new one on the way. Let's celebrate with . . .

Today's Question(s):

Monday. Saturday and Sunday are the week-END. Monday must be the beginning.

Not really. The question seems to imply that I might be really gung ho some days and not others.

Yes, habitually, cigarettes. It caused me some health issues. There was a commercial on TV where a guy goes in to buy cigarettes and he hands over the money. The store keeper still didn't give them up till the buyer pulled out one of his own teeth. The point was that lung cancer isn't the only consequence. A doctor once told me that it impairs blood flow, that can lead to impotence, and if the manufacturers put that on the side of a pack a lot of men would quit. So they stick to low birth weight.

Foodie Question(s):

No. I really don't eat much candy any more. A guy that I worked with made home made buckeyes, which were epic---I mean, slap yo' mama.

I'm not sure what QotD is, but I will guess. I'd order a phosphate, because I don't think I've ever had one.

Just To:

I'm swearing off paper books.

Not long ago we semi-retired. We had to declutter. I took lots of CDs, DVDs, and books to a resale place and got a pitiful sum for them. I don't need to own it---I just want to read it. If the library has it and I can borrow it, so much the better.

Wake me up when September ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9JoFKlaZ0

Old 08-31-2022, 09:49 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,800,082 times

Today's Question(s):
Whenever I remember what day it is. That's when my week starts.

Not really, just whenever I'm extra tired. Seems to be a whole lot here lately.

Oh yes, I smoked for 40 years. I have no idea why I'm still here. I quit 7 years ago and it's one of the best things I could have done for my health. I just knew deep down if I didn't quit then I was going to do myself in, quickly. I was smoking 2 packs a day, I started rolling my own cigarettes when it got so expensive to buy them. So, I got free patches and lozenges from the state to help me quit.

Those lozenges were the nastiest, grossest thing I've ever put in my mouth but the patches were ok. Hey, it's free from the quit smoking hotline so can't complain. I also ate hard candy when I had a craving. That helped too. My dentist wasn't too happy. With all that said, I haven't gotten off scott free. I have emphysema.

I had chronic bronchitis all 40 years, at least 2 or 3 times a year. I would cough uncontrollably for months, even after medication for the bronchitis. The only thing that was going to stop it was quitting. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But sooooo worth it. I have extended my life at least 7 years, so I consider that a win.

Foodie Question(s):
No because we don't have any trick-or-treaters here in the sticks. I usually go to my Mother's to hand out candy. She has a ton of adorable little kids coming to her door (some not so little) so that's fun. I like candy corn believe it or not but only a few at a time, they're pretty sweet. But anything chocolate is good too.

Hmm, can I just have a rum & coke please? Nah, I would like to order a vanilla milkshake.

Just To:

Couldn't answer the questions yesterday, I can't read.

Thanks bjh, same to you

Old 08-31-2022, 11:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,610,361 times
Today's Question(s):
----- Not part of my thinking process. In college, clsses wer Sat-Wed, so I can be flexible.

------ No, the tras goes out Sunday night

----- In my 20s I thought a cigar would look cool, I burned about a quarter of it and threw the rest away. Never smoked a cigarette.

Foodie Question(s):
----- In 25 years, the average number if trick/treaters is <1

----- A malt made on a green Hamilton Beach mixwe, served in the stainles cannister.

Just To:
--- N/a. Paper Books from library, never saw an e-book.

Wishing everyone a good S

Old 08-31-2022, 11:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,642 times
Monday.

when I'm off work on Thursday night, the weekend begins for me. I try to take it easy on Sunday, to "pre-rest" for the Monday thats coming.

never pipe, tried cigars but it didnt fit in my lifestyle. Was a cigarette smoker for 10 - 12 years, several failed attempts to quit like anyone. Quit totally when my child was born. The book that worked for me was like a Jedi Mind Trick... Alan Carr, 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking' - 20 million copies sold. Again, it worked for me.

candy I consume for myself (dark choc, red vines, dots or gummy worms) I consider wholly separate from halloween candy to give away (single serving wrapped). I wont buy Halloween candy until the week before halloween.

Sorry not a soda-fountain kind of person.

pre-2019, I was the kind to spend a couple hours browsing/read standing up at Barnes n Noble. I had a "routine" in various sections, I really loved the cover art on sci-fi and fantasy novels. I read entire magazines standing up in the aisle. I would actually buy like 2 or 3, but I had "consumed" more than a dozen. I want to claim BnN got their money out of me, I have hundreds of books. Tried to "prune some" in the last move, wasnt very aggressive/successful in thining the collection.

I remember meetup.com "book of the month clubs' that I joined and you'd have 14-21 days to read a book cover to cover and then meet up and talk about it. I remember buying brand-new hardcover books 'released that month' and paying like $34.95, had to buy it in person, and maybe 2 or 3 times I had it signed by the author - if it was connected to the book tour/promotion. Then I'd get mad at the other meetup members who'd admit they only read 1 or 2 chapters, but showed up anyways to see if anyone else had something interesting to say.

however I dont read much these days. I am often buying books for other people, in which case I'm just shopping price. I go with the lowest price and free/low shipping, I dont mind dog-earred paperbacks that libraries or Goodwills are dumping for $1 - $5.

I read the Weds Bookish questions, and I was stymied by the prospect of how to answer accurately or in a halfway funny way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics